Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jimmy Flintstone's 70 El Camino alert!

If anyone happend to get the 70 El Camino this is to let you and everyone else know that the AMT 68 El Camino parts will not work with this resin body! I found this out after I got it in a trade deal. It will require a AMT 70 Chevelle as My 69 Chevelle Convertible chassie proves!

post-8577-0-74118200-1399841409_thumb.jppost-8577-0-93051000-1399841424_thumb.jp

I won't recommend this resin body as it is not very workable, I ended up completely having to graft a AMT 70 chevelle to it for The Chevelle parts to work correctly. As I was trying to remove un-needed resin behind the head light insert's they broke off the headlight hold's also the hood didn't fit correctly either, and the windshield is another matter to deal with. The suggestion of using a 68 El Camino kit to complete is COMPLETELY WRONG!

• 2 weeks later...

Some of his kits actually do come with interiors and other pieces. I think that he has a kind of a niche market and he tries to keep the costs down offering some body shells only. A lot of guys arent hung up on totall perfection and those that are undertand why the really good resin stuff is on the pricey side for a lot of us. I have some of Jimmy's bodies and given the price of around or less than $20.00, they are a good deal IMHO. I've aid a lot more for a whole lot worse quality. I have some Modelhaus and Promolite stuff and the kits are works of art with Promolite being my favorite. I am not sure what happened with the El Camino but to look at it, there's not a whole lot wrong with it externally. I had no idea that the old annual El Camino was in fact different. Hence, it would be nice if he offered the proper compnents needed to finish the model as the original chassis and interior will be hard to find.

I just spent 20 minutes working on a JF body, and I would have tossed it had it not been a $50 kit. The thickness and waviness of the kit will render it a curbside with no interior detail as I don't have the patience to polish a turd.

I have this El Camino kit and appreciate the heads up as I was thinking about building it. I will go over it a little closer and decide if it is buildable.

In general terms, the caveat with resin is 'the less you pay, the more you work.' B)

That is a safe statement Danno and i agree with you. The kit I am discussing is one I bought off of eBay that was $50 and it did not mention who was casting it, and with your statement in mind, I went ahead and bought the kit. Once I got it, I realized it was cast by JF and it will require quite a bit of work to be even a halfway decent shelf model.

I will go back to my old approach to resin- If I can't see it first before buying it, I will pass on it. There are only a couple of resin casters who have earned my trust to buy their product blindly.

• 1 month later...