Model Cars Magazine Forum

Restored '36

Lovefordgalaxie

Back in 1991 I built a Dick Tracy 1936 Ford. Painted it with Colorgin spray can black, even had the Dick Tracy decals on the plates.

During my move in 2007, the box with the Ford inside had an accident. I let it fall from from the top of the boxes I was carrying, and accidentally kicked it. I don't have to say the Ford turned back into all it's original parts inside that box :(

Fast forward to last week. Just had finished my new build of a '36 Ford, this time from a newer edition of the kit (from 2002 I now discovered), and decided to restore the old Ford.

Fortunately, the paint survived intact, and only required a polish. By far the worse parts were the bumper supports that were in 20 pieces.

To get the car back to what it was, I had to use parts from one of my two Dick Tracy kits, but it was worth the effort. I installed all new chrome, new bumper supports, and made new licence plates, because I didn't want to use Dick Tracy plates now that I'm not 13 years old anymore :lol:

14171889726_ae32a3132a_c.jpgRestored 1936 Ford by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

14008393790_a857f49d7b_c.jpgRestored 1936 Ford by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

14194967944_ac1e773ffe_c.jpgRestored 1936 Ford by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

14008398580_8c5f038a47_c.jpgRestored 1936 Ford by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

14008381388_7b3ed5d3bc_c.jpgRestored 1936 Ford by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

14195044895_22e6342a3a_c.jpgRestored 1936 Ford by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

During the restoration, I found out that there are actually two DIFFERENT TOOLING for the '36 Ford five window coupe!! Check the comparing pictures:

14194981544_c6527a2f53_c.jpgRestored 1936 Ford by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

14191764351_e0fc4cf0ac_c.jpgRestored 1936 Ford by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

14215193603_5d000ffbec_c.jpgRestored 1936 Ford by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

14215196283_99f0074867_c.jpgRestored 1936 Ford by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

Very nice!

I also discovered the difference in the tooling after fitting a chopped top from an earlier version onto the Dick Tracey version. When I test fitted the hood it was a no go!. Eventually cut the piece of the Dick Tracey roof and grafted on the chopped roof.

Thanks guys!!

Even tough this little black coupe is a restored build, like I was able to save the paint I did back in '91, maybe the more accurate would be rejuvenation???

The only bugger is that I now have a Dick Tracy kit without chrome parts... Well, it's only plastic and I still have a mint one.

One thing I did wrong when I built this model back in the day, was the rumble seat to trunk conversion. I glued the rumble seat shut, and then placed the chrome handle on the correct place for a trunk, but kept the rubber pads one uses to climb to the rumble seat on the rear fender and taillight.

Oh the things you do when you are 13 years old...

Nice. Are they both AMT kits?

Yes, both of them.

The older build is the Dick Tracy kit, issued in 1990.

The yellow Ford is a newer issue from 2002. They have different five window tops. Sometime along the way between those two editions AMT retooled the roof.

Very nice!

I also discovered the difference in the tooling after fitting a chopped top from an earlier version onto the Dick Tracey version. When I test fitted the hood it was a no go!. Eventually cut the piece of the Dick Tracey roof and grafted on the chopped roof.

Are you sure it was the Dick Tracy kit??

They all come molded in black.

The newer issue has that odd retooling on the roof, and won't accept parts from a early kit.

Thanks guys!!

Even tough this little black coupe is a restored build, like I was able to save the paint I did back in '91, maybe the more accurate would be rejuvenation???

The only bugger is that I now have a Dick Tracy kit without chrome parts... Well, it's only plastic and I still have a mint one.

One thing I did wrong when I built this model back in the day, was the rumble seat to trunk conversion. I glued the rumble seat shut, and then placed the chrome handle on the correct place for a trunk, but kept the rubber pads one uses to climb to the rumble seat on the rear fender and taillight.

Oh the things you do when you are 13 years old...

you have a kit with no chrome parts for it now? I'm thinking rat rod....

Are you sure it was the Dick Tracy kit??

They all come molded in black.

The newer issue has that odd retooling on the roof, and won't accept parts from a early kit.

You are right. I didn't use the Dick Tracy kit. I kept it and used the 2002 issue as per the photo below. In the lower right hand corner the piece I cut of the dropped roof and replaced with the kit part to make the hood fit. I also had to re-scribe the back door panel line.

98b1c444-8bd9-47e9-9f98-2f9b44e60f4a_zps

Here is some photos of the model.

Ford1936-AMT02.jpg

Ford1936-AMT01.jpg

You are right. I didn't use the Dick Tracy kit. I kept it and used the 2002 issue as per the photo below. In the lower right hand corner the piece I cut of the dropped roof and replaced with the kit part to make the hood fit. I also had to re-scribe the back door panel line.

98b1c444-8bd9-47e9-9f98-2f9b44e60f4a_zps

Here is some photos of the model.

Ford1936-AMT02.jpg

Ford1936-AMT01.jpg

That looks great!!

You couldn't had chosen a color that screams 1960's better.

If you pay attention to the model on the box art of the 2002 issue, you will notice its a Dick Tracy kit build up, and NOT the kit actually in the box!!

I think things were pretty weird at AMT at the time.

you have a kit with no chrome parts for it now? I'm thinking rat rod....

Not into this kind of car, or build.

I think now I have a nice spare Flathead, a frame, suspensions, and I also have one of that Revell 1932 Ford 3 window kits that can only be build butchered with non 1932 factory stock parts. Maybe I can convert that into a stock 3 window coupe.