Model Cars Magazine Forum

Complete:1983 Lemans Winning 956

David Thibodeau

Finished this up over the New Year holiday. I studied alot of engine photos of the 956/962. The photos inspired me to add some additional detail to the rather plain engine bay. Pro tech line and fittings combined with detailmaster hardware were used for all plumbing. I scratch built some areas as well including brake duct towers and coolant piping from solder.

All in all I think it helped bring a 22 year old kit to life. Paint is Tamiya blue and white along with dupont 2k clear. Decals were pretty difficult to work with because of their sheer age but I managed.

Thanks for looking!!

P1010027.jpg

P1010029.jpg

P1010033.jpg

P1010031.jpg

P1010035.jpg

P1010036.jpg

P1010037.jpg

P1010034.jpg

P1010030.jpg

TREMENDO!!!!

HAVE THAT KIT AND WILL BE USING THIS PROJECT AS INSPIRATION

AND REFERENCE. ITS TRUE, THE ENGINE BAY ON THIS KIT NEEDS

LOTS OF DETAIL TO MAKE THEM INTERESTING TO LOOK.

HAVE A QUESTION? WAS THAT NESSESARY, TO WRITE ON THE

REAR TIRES, I WOULD DO THAT ON GTS CARS OR NASCARS

WERE ALL THE TIRES ARE THE SAME SIZE AND CAN BE ROTATED TO ANY

CORNER. I KNOW THAT IT IS TO HELP THE PIT CREW WHILE SETTING

TO GET READY FOR A PIT STOP. BUT THIS PORSCHE THE REARS CAN

ONLY GO ONE WAY AND THEY ARE DIFFERENT FROM THE FRONT.

SORRY IF I SOUND PICKY....

The tire markings are usually found on ALL four tires; Not due to the rotation of the tire; but more for the sake that each wheel may be slightly different in weight; and that would adversly affect the suspension setup for each corner if the tires were mis-mounted, and that different compound tires may be needed at each corner... In researching my Hawaiian tropic project; I found that all the pit photos had detailed tire markings; which generally included: placement, direction, and car number (for team cars) I dug through photos going back to the mid 1970's, and found this common in Lemans series racing. On the Porsche cars (935 in particular) that used variable suspension geometry that could be adjusted on the fly, tire position is critical due to loading....although the tires may appear to be the same on both sides; the compounds may differ greatly side to side depending on the track and loading requirements....unsprung weight calculations are usually calculated down to the GRAM to establish spring rate and pre-load....so you can see How critical tire placement would be....just a little egghead info to get your day started........matt

Dave, very nice clean build of an old kit. ( I loved your tip on "whitening" an aged decal sheet....I never heard that before, but will have to give it a try) I have had this un-built kit in my collect for 12 years or so now. I was hooked when I saw that great box top painting, from Tamiya, showing all of the lines and fittings. I am sure many where inspired to replicate the box art, but I doubt that any did a better job then you did on this kit. Clean and professional.....well, maybe the tire lettering was a little bit heavy, that I think is a matter of personal opinion, but I love this build. Mine, if and when I get around to it, I hope comes out half as nice....that will make me happy.

The tire markings are usually found on ALL four tires; Not due to the rotation of the tire; but more for the sake that each wheel may be slightly different in weight; and that would adversly affect the suspension setup for each corner if the tires were mis-mounted, and that different compound tires may be needed at each corner... In researching my Hawaiian tropic project; I found that all the pit photos had detailed tire markings; which generally included: placement, direction, and car number (for team cars) I dug through photos going back to the mid 1970's, and found this common in Lemans series racing. On the Porsche cars (935 in particular) that used variable suspension geometry that could be adjusted on the fly, tire position is critical due to loading....although the tires may appear to be the same on both sides; the compounds may differ greatly side to side depending on the track and loading requirements....unsprung weight calculations are usually calculated down to the GRAM to establish spring rate and pre-load....so you can see How critical tire placement would be....just a little egghead info to get your day started........matt

Exactly Matt, it does not matter whether the tires are all the same size or not.... They can have different air pressure, balance etc.... they may not be marked as pronounced as mine, but I like the additional detail it brings to the tires....

Thanks guys... glad you all like it. I really enjoyed building a car with such a rich racing heritage....

DaveT

Glad to be back home and see this gorgeous build finished.

Beautiful execution and the details are just right.

There is a reason why you are quickly getting at the top of my favorite modeler's list. Not only execution but your subjects as well. :)

Thanks,

There is a reason why you are quickly getting at the top of my favorite modeler's list. Not only execution but your subjects as well. ;)

Thanks,

Then you of all people will love my next subject......

C6-R!!!

thanks again to all of you!!!

Dave T

There is a reason why you are quickly getting at the top of my favorite modeler's list. Not only execution but your subjects as well. ;)

Thanks,

Ditto to what he said ;)

It's spectacular. Nice work Dave!

Hey Izzy, did you see me waving to you from the deck of the cruise ship as we passed PR :( ? We passed right by PR on the way to St. Maarten and St. Thomas.

Ditto to what he said :lol:

It's spectacular. Nice work Dave!

Hey Izzy, did you see me waving to you from the deck of the cruise ship as we passed PR :lol: ? We passed right by PR on the way to St. Maarten and St. Thomas.

Ahhh It was you! I waved back but I was not sure if it were you or not :lol:

• 10 years later...
On 1/1/2008 at 9:04 PM, David Thibodeau said:

Finished this up over the New Year holiday. I studied alot of engine photos of the 956/962. The photos inspired me to add some additional detail to the rather plain engine bay. Pro tech line and fittings combined with detailmaster hardware were used for all plumbing. I scratch built some areas as well including brake duct towers and coolant piping from solder.

All in all I think it helped bring a 22 year old kit to life. Paint is Tamiya blue and white along with dupont 2k clear. Decals were pretty difficult to work with because of their sheer age but I managed.

Thanks for looking!!

P1010027.jpg

P1010029.jpg

P1010033.jpg

P1010031.jpg

P1010035.jpg

P1010036.jpg

P1010037.jpg

P1010034.jpg

P1010030.jpg

Holy cow what a great build.. come back to the forum David