Model Cars Magazine Forum

1990 lx mustang street car finished! 8/1/14

Thanks for the information, I think this is the best rattle can paint job I've produced with a rattle can so far, I feel like my skills are really starting to show the more I paint. I got the mirrors on, the taillight assembly on, the body decaled, and the windows to be glued in soon

35382869-B68E-4220-AB79-B8C29BFD4D2D_zps

CCBDAA83-FBB6-4127-8159-8EB7AC4D50D5_zps

D379EDFC-56C8-42D2-99C0-771149CF36F5_zps

9A0A51BC-1D80-4962-988A-009D2681FEBF_zps

9E66A72E-0BF6-4FBC-BBF0-A8E694078F7D_zps

9CF5D398-84FA-4E0C-A890-D8C8842DDC3E_zps

Well I lied, this update came sooner than expected. I heard about the acme license plate maker and I though I would give it a try, I printed out some test plates until I found the size that works with 1/25 scale and made a few

AC801F03-C7BB-4799-9D46-5FADED6811A1_zps

The "bone stock" came from what my dad had on his '89 supercharged 5.0 lx that he had in Washington so I thought the plate would be fitting

DFC9B597-E36A-44FB-A6D7-F5EDFD5DE710_zps

Sorry about the no update today, spent too much time messing with the pos Holley 670 street avenger with my dad on his '70 ElCamino SS396, those things are not fun to tune and an off idle stumble plagues these new carbs, we then headed out to the dragstrip which I'll post the video tomorrow was a sad day of racing, the track was greasy, nothing could make a clean pass down the track and two crashes Involving fuel altered's happened to sum it up, one crash was real BAD! Video to come tomorrow....

710B3AFC-926E-481E-B6F4-F3A7FA0C9F72_zps

F0F72685-8439-4FC4-82FC-D1B23C5C761D_zps

91D21F97-8E21-4979-930C-9F837239F2B3_zps

Last night's racing was horrible. The outside temp was about 106 degrees and the track temp was over 120. At that point all the rubber on the track makes it greasy and real slick where even the super gas dragsters doing 300 foot burnouts couldn't get down the track. The race was one my local track Champion Raceway holds every year called the "night of fire." The useless jet dragsters come out, fuel altered come out, and many racers from other areas in division 6 come out for the chance to win a wally. Finally around 8:00 the air was getting better, the track temp dropped, and some good racing was starting to happen. At about 9:30 right as the sun set, two fuel altereds lined up. In the right lane, the best tranny guy in southern Oregon, the Dave Hicks high tech transmission car driven by someone else, and the high heaven fuel altered in the left lane. The High Heaven altered had the original chassis, body, and wing from 1974. When it was restored, everything was painted like one of the original schemes and a similar truck tall deck 427 BBC was used with all new aftermarket internals and a new littlefield 6-71 and an enderle hat like the original.

I decided to video tape the run and what happened next was both spectacular and horrid, I'm not sure which comes first. The High heaven car launched and took a right turn for a date with the other car or the wall. luckily, the High tech transmission car hooked and got out of there. High heaven hit the wall and blew the whole front end out of it, the car slid around and the throttle stuck with it heading back towards the starting line where the crew, starter, racers and more were standing. After hitting who knows maybe 12000 Rpm's the big block grenaded which was actually a good thing.

Here's the video I shot and posted to youtube, I hope the link works

http://youtu.be/XEbnMu8YIkQ

I got yelled at by the crew for trying to take pictures of the aftermath in the pits (which was really stupid because we're all dragracers who love the sport and want to see the aftermath of when some thing goes wrong) heres one I managed to get, it isn't very good because of the glare but you you can see how bent the chassis is and the whole supercharger itself is broken from the explosion, the only thing that kept it on the car was the safety straps

374BB6EC-090C-471E-AAC9-F76C60DDFDF3_zps

Edited by Dragfreak

Very nice with the rattle can Jason, I know how hard it is to get a paint job like that using rattle cans, and , if you paint outside it's even harder.

Thanks, I painted this outside and although it looks pretty good, there's a few places where it isn't exactly perfect but I'm happy with it

Your Mustang looks killer so far! Nice work.

Thank you Ron, it's coming along nicely, I understand it isn't real high quality like most drag builds here but I think it will look alright when it's done. In still waiting for the day when I actually build a high quality model

As promised, here's what I have. The chute is almost finished and ready for paint, I also scratch built a push off battery disconnect, I've learned the small details like these are what makes the most improvement on my mediocre builds. Let me know what you think...

B5DA3FEF-AF2E-4B37-9140-01D44135AA8A_zps

C5370810-7E80-4F84-AFE6-F2FD779D529C_zps

49B0F92E-C9D5-4524-825D-694D5905E37C_zps

F63600A0-FDD6-4694-82D0-A970DA2BEEA4_zps

Edited by Dragfreak

Nice,that switch is cool,Yes them little details make all the difference,And there is nothing wrong with yours builds...

Thank you Stan, I just feel like it must be a pretty bad build when I'm not getting much positive or negative feedback on it, I want to hear from people what they think and what I could add or do better but I'm not getting really anything

Your build looks great so far!! Did you make that switch yourself?

Yes I made it out of some evergreen #222 rod and a small piece of flat sheet stock, the decal is from slixx

Nice touch on the battery switch. Your doing some great work on this build....

Thanks Carl, I'm trying to get it done even when my inspiration is low, I think it will look okay when it's done

Your chute/mount and on/off switch both look great! Very nice job... :)

I appreciate the feedback on it Scott, I based the battery on/ off switch off of this fox I found on the internet.

03B166A6-5716-41B1-9345-287B7B7386A2_zps

great job Jason. your build is really awesome. i see nothing there to say your inspiration is low.... keep plugging along.

Al I'm just not building to my own expectations I guess, sure it looks okay, but it's just not good enough to me for some reason

Jason,your not getting negative feed back because there is nothing negative to say.I like lots of comments too good or bad but it doesn't always happen.This is a very Positive build and your work is up there with the best,

I guess you're right, I'll just continue doing what I'm doing with it and maybe I'll surprise myself in the end

Thanks Carl, I'm trying to get it done even when my inspiration is low, I think it will look okay when it's done

I appreciate the feedback on it Scott, I based the battery on/ off switch off of this fox I found on the internet.

03B166A6-5716-41B1-9345-287B7B7386A2_zps

Nothing wrong on your build Jason, I feel lousy a lot and build. Your model looks great and will be great when finished.

Wow! While I spent time at Alastaro Raceway Drag Racing with the '74 Chevelle you have made lots of progress! The body looks fantastic. The paint job and color are sweet, but those windows made my jaw to hit on the floor. Nice job painting the window surrounds black, a thing I've never succeeded in. I also like the chute and the mount on it, it looks just like 1:1 scale part. That On/Off Switch is a very nice touch, too. That has never came to my mind while building a model. Now I need to make one for my Stock Eliminator Torino. ;)