Model Cars Magazine Forum

1990 lx mustang street car finished! 8/1/14

well, I for one am not a fan of window tint (just ask my son), but it does look good with that color, do what you think works. like the new wheels (from the nova kit, right?). it coming together well, you should be wrapping this one up since your on summer vacation!!

looking forward to more progress....

Hi Al, the problem I ran into with the tint is I can't squeegee out the air causing the tint to just not stick. The tint is simply a no go on this build. I have to scratch build a four link set up for it, scratch a new crossmember, finish the interior, and get the engine together then it'll be all ready to go together.

Hi Al, the problem I ran into with the tint is I can't squeegee out the air causing the tint to just not stick. The tint is simply a no go on this build. I have to scratch build a four link set up for it, scratch a new crossmember, finish the interior, and get the engine together then it'll be all ready to go together.

Hi Jason,Have you tried Tamiya TS71 smoke?Its a clear black thats perfect for tints,I tried it on some windows and it looks great.I can post a pic if you want .

Using tint start at the edge make sure it's stuck to the very edge take your thumb press hard and slid your thumb slowly over the tint and you won't have bubbles I start tinting windows at 9 on real cars and toys so I have a lot of experience with it in various ways also try putting it on the very edge and use your ID press hard and slow

Using tint start at the edge make sure it's stuck to the very edge take your thumb press hard and slid your thumb slowly over the tint and you won't have bubbles I start tinting windows at 9 on real cars and toys so I have a lot of experience with it in various ways also try putting it on the very edge and use your ID press hard and slow

I'll give it another try but I'm leaning towards the tamiya smoke as it seems to be very simple and quick

Not much of an update but it's something, I masked the nose off and painted the cowl panel semi gloss black, but of course as my luck goes the rust oleum orange masking tape I used pulled up a bunch of the clear, I cut the paint down more and it's not fixable...

96EFB2A7-7500-48AD-BB83-ADCDA1DA9B33_zps

607BE3AE-75FB-4075-A2CA-FEA3FA533209_zps

0C427E4B-B7A3-44BB-A8A3-992FE7CCC591_zps

697A82D1-11A0-40EA-9212-9649B19304CB_zps

Now I need to paint the window trim and hopefully I don't have any more problems with tape

F1141473-8F5C-4F66-83C4-9180E8360F21_zps

B5C65BDA-C5BA-4BA1-ABE5-D31742C5F1FA_zps

I also got some decals in place

B0A8C71C-9932-44D3-91A4-BF8578CA5D55_zps

Would black BMF work for this? or electrical tape? I have some Porsches that need the trim to be done too . I dread that moment. lol

I think BMF would actually work really good, I got this rust oleum orange tape from walmart and it seems to be okay, other than the pulling of my clear coat off the roof. Ask around some more with some pro painters to see what they use. Fortunately, I had no problems this go around with the trim

5972CEAB-B632-4268-873B-EF58BCA58161_zps

1766E660-3F3C-49EB-B837-7587B25C4CC7_zps

Edited by Dragfreak

It still looks great Jason,The stance is sweet,and them rear tires look perfect,very nice looking build...

Thanks Stan, I've got the stance realistic for being a street car, where it could clear speed bumps and such

This is the stance I was shooting for

7D526EEA-9C19-41A6-AA9A-F228D2B851BB_zps

Paint looks good. Just aren't going to get smooth enough with rattle cans. I've done a few over the years that did not need color sanded but they were done with an airbrush.

I appreciate it Jeff, I think for never have used an airbrush in my life (mainly because of the high cost to get set up) I have been turning out some mediocre stuff with a rattle can Edited by Dragfreak

You can get a great finish with spray cans.

">http://100_4490.jpg

Testors One Coat Mythical Maroon with One Coat Wet Look Clear. Polished and waxed. A little fuzz/dust here and there due to static from polishing. This picture doesn't do justice to the finish..

An airbrush will give you better control but that doesn't necessarily mean a better finish.

Edited by johnbuzzed