Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius '54 Hudsons

Thanks for the info regarding the newest release (green box art). I am no marketing expert, and It really doesn't matter what actually happened in 1954. At least to me. It's 2016, these models average about about $35. (around here). Seems to me, if you want to keep milking the tooling over several different versions, it helps to add more, not less. 
I believe it is a model first, and a replica second. Doesn't matter to me that the car offered this time is more basic. The kit should offer more, not less. More, as in addition to the Kelsey Hayes wire wheels. You already have them! Also, add whatever plain wheels, as are in this version.
Whitewalls, one side only. Blackwalls on the other side. They can paint the ww's black if so desired, or put the ww's on the inside. But why offer just blackwalls?
Buying two Hudson's to get the new version and the K-H wires will cost me around $70. I just don't have that kind of cabbage on hand.
Give us a break.
Offer more, not less.

Edited by Jon Cole

Thanks for the info regarding the newest release (green box art). I am no marketing expert, and It really doesn't matter what actually happened in 1954. At least to me. It's 2016, these models average about about $35. (around here). Seems to me, if you want to keep milking the tooling over several different versions, it helps to add more, not less. 
I believe it is a model first, and a replica second. Doesn't matter to me that the car offered this time is more basic. The kit should offer more, not less. More, as in addition to the Kelsey Hayes wire wheels. You already have them! Also, add whatever plain wheels, as are in this version.
Whitewalls, one side only. Blackwalls on the other side. They can paint the ww's black if so desired, or put the ww's on the inside. But why offer just blackwalls?
Buying two Hudson's to get the new version and the K-H wires will cost me around $70. I just don't have that kind of cabbage on hand.
Give us a break.
Offer more, not less.

Have you let Moebius know directly? 

http://www.moebiusmodels.com/contactus.html 

https://www.facebook.com/Moebius-Models-152580141448964/ 

I'm just curious why this was released as an "econobox" factory stock kit, and not as just a 2n1 F.S./Drag kit. Seems like this multiple versioning is gonna split the resources of the builders out there and both kits will "suffer" poor sales as a result. The pool of people looking for a fourth Hudson kit can't be that large to begin with, and it seems the upper hand would go to the drag guys who will get a unique piece of subject matter. 

I can see Dave moving 5k 2n1 kits, I'm not sure there's a market for 10k of these things (e.g. 5k for Moebius, 5k for Dave), especially if builders hold with Jon's sentiments about the body style change not being enough to draw them into a purchase. 

I can see Dave moving 5k 2n1 kits, I'm not sure there's a market for 10k of these things (e.g. 5k for Moebius, 5k for Dave), especially if builders hold with Jon's sentiments about the body style change not being enough to draw them into a purchase. 

I was actually under the impression that the '54 fastback was going to be a 2-in-1 kit with the junior stock option. Obviously I was wrong. But I agree completely with James. I just don't see either of the single-version kits setting the world on fire sales-wise.

Edited by Allen Wrench

I agree the 2-in-1 would absolutely have made sense here; this was a bit of a missed opportunity. 

We've become so focused on versioning that the marketing department sometimes forgets that all those versions were done to expand, not contract sales. Where this one might be a bit limited in sales, I think the 2-in-1 would have taken this to what would be a much better end sales number.  

With correct tooling, no compromises (or ones that nobody would really care about) would have to be made. 

Box capacity issues? Not thinkng ahead? A little of each?

No matter, I build stockers and I'll be getting one of these; a plain-Jane with blackwalls in Algiers Blue with the blue interior (and I have a real '54 Special nearby I can get pictures of near me)  has a certain appeal. 

Next door to me, the house was (and still is, sort of) a Quonset hut. Norm Wheeler, noted Hudson collector, whose family owned the Hudson dealer for this area, Wheeler's Garage, informed me that one of their regular customers, an older bachelor, lived in that house, and owned a Hornet and loved it. Might be cool to build a simple dio of the Quonset hut with one of these parked in front of it as a sort-of tribute to the man that lived next door prior to the construction of this hosue (1956).

Charlie Larkin

A 2 in 1 kit would be priced a bit higher than either of the single version kits, because of the extra parts and bigger decal sheet.  With a slightly lower price on each of the single version kits, between the two Moebius will probably sell more of them than they would the 2 in 1.  Offering them as separate kits increases the number of different items they have in the catalog, and the local hobby shops and show dealers will probably carry both as well.

If you intend to build both versions anyway, two of the separate kits will be cheaper.  Why pay for parts you won't need?

Interesting info

Hope to be able to get these 2 kits at some point

I ALMOST have 2 versions in the 52 Convertible I just got

It has both Full hubcaps, and ?CHROME? open Steelies

Sadly, Instructions say 53 Grill is included, but is NOT!!!

Also, though Many item altered by lighting colors are called out, Engine Block is NOT one of them!!

NOT to brilliant there!!!!

is it Gold, Copper, Bronze??????

Photo could be either

Even Silver/Aluminum

Also, though Many item altered by lighting colors are called out, Engine Block is NOT one of them!!

NOT to brilliant there!!!!

is it Gold, Copper, Bronze??????

Photo could be either

Even Silver/Aluminum

The '54 engines are gold. Testors gold spray enamel works very nicely to represent it.

Charlie Larkin

• 3 months later...

Excellent job! So what steps did you take to lower the car. I want to lower mine but unsure how to go about it. I have not done one before. Just getting back into car models. I want it to be a correct lowering if possible. Thanks. :)