Model Cars Magazine Forum

70 HEMI CUDA Finally Done 7/19/2014

microwheel

A little more work done on the Cuda engine bay the past few days. Not alot, but a good start. Sorry about the pic quality.

I made a wiring harnass that will run along the firewall and end at the core support on the passenger side. This is for the horns and headlights and such. Also finished the engine bay area brake lines and painted, detailed and installed the brake master cylinder and boster and made a vacum line for it. Detail painted and installed the wiper motor and fluid bottle and scratched made a battery to ignition relay terminal that will have lines run to it when it is time to install the battery.

In the first pic I made the wiring harness out of twisted thin copper wire and then shaped it for placement. This was covered will tefflon tape and then primered with tamiya white primer.

DSCF2648-vi.jpg

In this pic, after the primer was dry, the harness was painted with Tamiya matt black

DSCF2653-vi.jpg

In the next 2 pics, near the master cylinder you can see the battery ignition relay block that was scratched made. As well as the brake lines running from the master cylinder to the transition block down on the frame.

DSCF2654-vi.jpg

DSCF2658-vi.jpg

The next few pics show the wiring harness running along the firewall, splitting off to the firewall ignition box, and around to the passenger side inner fender splitting off to the horns . It continues on below the washer bottle to the core support for headlight wiring to be made and added later.

DSCF2656-vi.jpg

DSCF2655-vi.jpg

Picture17-vi.jpg

More to come as I get it done. I started adding the kit supplied engine bay decals today, and the drivers fender decal went just fine, the core support decal messed up on me for some reason, so I'm gonna try to see if Revell will send me another one. If they wont, well then It will have to be finished without it.. :-(

Edited by microwheel

That is just beautiful!! I hope the engine will go in for you. I forgot my fan shroud and it was a pain to get in there! Lower rad hose needs a small adjustment too. It hits the webbing above the oil filter. I trimmed the webbing and re painted that area

That is just beautiful!! I hope the engine will go in for you. I forgot my fan shroud and it was a pain to get in there! Lower rad hose needs a small adjustment too. It hits the webbing above the oil filter. I trimmed the webbing and re painted that area

Hi Fred thanks. Yup the engine is test fitted every step of the way. The plan is to drop the engine and radiator and shroud all in at the same time. With the radiator and shroud just slipped over the fan as the engine is being lowered into place, then the radiator can be cemented from the grill side after it is seated in place. Thats why I havent cemented the grill into place yet. As for the lower radiator hose. I plan to use aftermarket hose material which can be bent to shape for a better fit, and put in place before permently fixing the front suspension into place.

That's a good idea. I left my oil pan off yet as well which helped free up some space. I made a dipstick on mine but not much room to route it. Came out ok. I cut the bottom of my shroud, pulled top hose and I got it in there then put the bottom piece back in. Little touch up paint and you will never see it with front suspension in place

I finally got time to start working on the cuda's power plant the past few days. So here is where things are so far. I got the hemi and tranny painted. Though the pic quality isnt the best, the engine is painted hemi-orange. Got the shaker assembled and painted (this is gonna be removable for displaying detail) got the carbs plumbed for fuel and vacum, and carb linkage configured. Using real car photos, I made sure to set the carbs up with the correct 2 return spring system and painted the springs the correct colors of red and green. Added the alternator bracket. oil dip stick, negative battery cable, and decal for the oil filter. De-chromed and Painted the valve covers and drilled them out for the plug wires and vacum lines, and also added better wire lumes for the the back two plugs on each valve cover. (Still need to make and install the plug wires), I replaced the kit supplied distributor with a spun aluminum pre-drilled one from Scale Repro's Plus (this guy makes some good stuff. Do a google search for him). Even though it doesnt have the ribs on it, It does have a vacum advance, and besides the kit supplied distributor doesnt have a vacum advance, and only has 7 ribs, so I thought the distributor I went with was a little better trade off when it came to issues. And it fits the hemi pretty good.

Moving on to the tranny. I desided I wanted to detail the tranny as well, so I scratch made the 4 speed linkage, and also scratch made the clutch linkage. All this was test fitted in the car with the exhaust manifolds tacked in place to make sure there wasnt gonna be any clearence issues.

Pics of the progress below. I still have to detail and install the starter and belt and pully system. As well as the plug wires.

Anyways thanks everyone for the comments so far. More to come as the work continues.

DSCF2666-vi.jpg

DSCF2665-vi.jpg

Hey Fred, like we were talking about;, Notice the better clearence between the distributor and shaker for plug wires with this distributor.

DSCF2676-vi.jpg

DSCF2670-vi.jpg

DSCF2675-vi.jpg

DSCF2674-vi.jpg

Top notch work you're doing here, Jim - and I love the subtle stripes on the rear fenders (muscle car stripes often look a bit flashy for my taste).

Thanks, Although I did end up removing the black strips and applying the silver ones that came in the kit instead. The reason for this is that I am going for more of a replica stock look and the black strips were hardly visable with the body color I chose. The silver strips look much better on it, I think. I will be posting more updated pics in a few days of the overall car as I get closer to finishing it and you will see the look I'm after. I also found a rear wing from my parts box, that I just had to tweek a little to make it look like a cuda wing and will be using on the car. I think it gives it a little better look as well.

Here is a couple of sneak peaks of the cuda setting on her feet. The rear wing is just tacked on for now. But I thought you all would like to get an idea of the look I am after with her.

DSCF2690-vi.jpg

Pay no attention to my messy crowded workbench LOL

DSCF2692-vi.jpg

Hey Fred, when I get ready to drop the hemi in I will try to get a few shots with the camera durning the process, so you can see what I mean about how I planned it out to tie everything together and how I planned for the engine to drop in and still get the fan assembly and radiator and shroud to drop in.