Model Cars Magazine Forum

70 HEMI CUDA Finally Done 7/19/2014

microwheel

This is the most meticulously thought out projects I have seen on this board in some time!!

My hat is off an d I appluad Your efforts Mr. Daniels!

By far one of the best builds I have seen in awhile!

Thank You for sharing with Us all here

Looking forward to more of Your work

Later

Russ

Thank you very much for the kind words Russ.

I had noticed the hose difference eventually lol. I ended up installing mine after just like you did. May I ask what paint you used on the shaker and will you be using it on the grille as well? I am pleased you are keeping the scoop removable as it's a shame to hide all that work

I had noticed the hose difference eventually lol. I ended up installing mine after just like you did. May I ask what paint you used on the shaker and will you be using it on the grille as well? I am pleased you are keeping the scoop removable as it's a shame to hide all that work

Hi Fred The paint I used on the shaker was testors Gloss Metallic Silver enamel. It dried really quick for a enamel (in less than 24 hours). And no, I will be using testor metalizer non-buffing steel on the grill and that will be coated with testors clear dull coat. the center of the grill will be tamiya matt black with the center bar gloss red (painted with a toothpick of course LOL). I know it sounds strange but it will look right when it's done..

Edited by microwheel

This is just incredible, I've been wanting to do the models like this my self. But just don't know everything about the engine like that.

Your definitely an inspiration for sure bro!

Thanks Byron, One nice thing about building models in todays world versus the years back when I started, is all the aftermarket stuff available. If your local hobby shop doesnt carry any, its easy to find on the internet. And thats the other beauty about the internet, google!!! Googling any classic car brings up tons of refference photos to help the modeler with detailing.

Howdy guys,

Only had time to do a little work on the cuda the past few day. You havent seen the hood yet because I had to add another light coat of color to it.. It was just a shade too lite, so its setting on the bench after another light coat of color and a couple of clear coats, drying, and then it will be wet sanded and polished out. You'll see it in the final assembly. I finished painting the front shocks and got them installed along with the front suspension finally. I also finished up the engine bay with the battery and cables and then decal-ed the radiator and heater hoses and added hose clamps to the upper radiator hose, so the engine bay is now done except for the core support decal. I messed it up and had to order a new one. I also got the rear bumber installed, The front grill is assembled but just sitting into place as I am waiting for the hood latch paint to dry, and didn't want to install the grill till the hood latch was installed. I did drill and trim out the hood latch where it is supposed to have openings for a more realistic look. Still got a bunch of odds and ends to do for final assembly, such as adding working hood pins and such.

Here is a few pics of where it is at so far. I took these today outside, since we finally got a sunny day here in northern Michigan. Its a little windy up here and its blowing dust around a bit so excuse the dust on the cuda in the pics, it will get cleaned up good during finally assembly.

DSCF2785.jpg

DSCF2799.jpg

DSCF2803.jpg

DSCF2796.jpg

DSCF2790.jpg

DSCF2791.jpg

The rear wing in the pics is one I found in my parts bin and is just tacked on for now until l decide if I want to keep it or not. I'm leaning toward using it. I did re-shape it slightly to make it sit right. Let me know what you guys think about it.. Keep it? Or Loose it?

DSCF2792.jpg

I'd like the wing if it was a little lower down, I say keep it, but change the height

Hi Glen, thanks for the imput. I'll see if I can lower it some. Only thing that worries me is if by some chance I lower it too much, I cant undo it, and I dont have another one. But I agree it does look a tad high, so I'm gonna chance it and lower it some.

Looks like there might have been a little more undercar shifter clearance if it were mounted to the "E body" pad near the end of the tailshaft

Hi Chris, and thanks for checking out my build,

As someone who worked for chrysler years ago, I am very aware that the tranny linkage is not on the correct Ebody pad.

But that was the problem during planning out and test fitting the detailing for the trans. The clearence beside the trans and the trans tunnel near the cross member didnt allow for enough clearence to properly do it that way and still get the engine into the car. Yes, if I would have followed the standard way of assembly by putting the engine on the chassis before mounting the chassis to the body, I could have mounted the linkage to the correct E Body pad near the end of the tranny, but because I needed the engine to go into the car after the chassis was installed (due to the way I was planning out and installing other engine bay detail), and this had to be done by slanting the engine, the tranny wouldnt have cleared the cross frame with the linkage attached that far back while tilting the engine and tranny into place. (I know this because I originally tried setting it up on the Ebody pad) Now why did I need the engine and trans to go into the car that late in the build? Because its how I planned out the rest of the detail especially running the fuel and brake lines along the frame all the way to their proper locations in the engine bay as well as needing the room for some of the other engine bay detailing I was doing such as the firewall wire harness and brake line that ran to the passenger side. If the engine would have been installed before setting the chassis to the body, It wouldnt have allowed me the room to work on the other engine bay detailing I was adding (at my age, with my eye sight, I need all the room I can get lol). And because adding the tranny detail was a last minute decission, I only had 2 options, either dont add clutch and linkage detail, or install the linkage on the B-body pad and still have clearence for the engine install. I opted to be a little off on the accuracy of the linkage location. I think it still turned out ok. Especially with the flaws in the kit I had already corrected that would have been even more noticable.

Edited by microwheel

Jim....terrific detail on your project...fascinating to watch your methodical and well thought out assembly procedure, too.

As for the spoiler...I'd leave it in the box if this were my build. As you probably know, the spoiler for '70 was different than the one for '71....I have little use for these Mopar muscle era pedestal spoilers so I don't know if the one you are using is correct for the '70 my application (I'm thinking it probably is), but just wanted to mention it. With your background, you are probably much more on top of this subject than I am anyway.

Best of luck finishing your project...TIM

Didn't mean to sound nit-picky- just tend to be a bit "short" when typing :)

Have this kit and was contemplating a detailed build and was just wondering about the fit when adding these parts

Great looking build

Edited by ChrisPflug

I thought I read or saw pics of mopars having the engine bolted to the cross member and all the suspension parts in place

and then this was slid up into the body as a unit?

This build is splendid and when the model is shown bottom up the presence of brake,fuel lines and other details really makes it come alive!!

Hi Guys, And thanks for everyone who has been following along with this build with me. I decided to keep the wing cuz It reminds me of the hemi cudas tooling around my home town as a young man on friday and saturday night cruzes. I did lower and move it foward just a tad and I thiink it looks better. I did a lot of final assembly work the past few days and am almost done with her. I still have a few odds and ends to finish up, such as adding a radio antenna to the passenger front fender, and Im still waiting on the hood paint to finish gassing out so I can wet sand and polish it and then add the aftermarket hood pins for it, as well as adding the radiator core support decal if it ever gets here from revell. I'm posting just a couple of workbench photos and will post more of the competed cuda in the underglass area I hope in a few days when I get the hood finished up.

DSCF2806-vi.jpg

DSCF2808-vi.jpg

DSCF2813-vi.jpg

Didn't mean to sound nit-picky- just tend to be a bit "short" when typing :)

Have this kit and was contemplating a detailed build and was just wondering about the fit when adding these parts

Great looking build

Hi Chris, No problem my friend. The fit on this kit is really good and lends itself nicely to alot of detailing.