Model Cars Magazine Forum

How long before top coat w/ Tamiya primer & paint?

I usually wait a few days after spraying my primer on and then give the primer a light sanding. I'll then spray the color coats in one day and the clear coats the next day, waiting 'bout 20 minutes in between coats. After the clear coats dry for 'bout a week or two, I'll then use my polishing cloths and level the surfaces out and bring out a brilliant shine. I use this method with all lacquers such as Tamiya, Testors, Black Gold, MCW, Dupli-Color, or even a combination of those mentioned paints. While I'm not the best painter, I do get satisfying results.

By the way, can somebody tell me, is Tamiya paint lacquer? And how does Tamiya paint work under Testors' lacquer when doing two-tone paint jobs?

Scott

Yes, Tamiya spray paints (The TS line) is Lacquer, the little jars (XF & X line) are acrylics. And as for Tamiya and Testors lacquer they work just fine together. I painted the roof and trunk section of my '57 Ford Gasser Testors Inca Gold and then the rest of the body Tamiya Gloss black.

DSC_5387-vi.jpg

Although I've never used Tamiya primer (I almost always use Plasti-Kote,) after wet-sanding the primer, and allowing the water to dry thoroughly, I can start painting- usually about two-three hours. I have heard similar with Tamiya primer, if they wet-sand. If not, paint usually gets applied within an hour or so, and they sand everything

Charlie Larkin

Sorry to Jack the thread, I just wanted to show that the two brands did not affect each other. As for the time between coats when priming I usually have about three or four light coats built up on my cars. You can add another coat every half hour since Tamiya primer dries so fast but I personally like to do a quick check for any imperfections in my primer. If I see some I'll wait and let the body totally dry,if not I finish up my priming. And as for going from primer to paint I always as a rule of thumb (Personally) let my last coat of primer dry over night before I spray my first color coat.

Thanks Nick, Sounds like you've got a good system worked out. Satisfying results are what it's all about!

If your not wet sanding Gene you can paint after Tamiya primer in a couple hours if you did not put it on to heavy. Its best not paint to fast and mess anything up, but Tamiya dries fast...

Carl, me mess anything up on a paint job? Are you kidding? :lol:

Charlie, good info! That's pretty much in line with the way I was thinking about this stuff. Man, at some point I've got to try Plasti-Kote. Thanks.

Danno, Thanks, that's good to know.

Sorry to Jack the thread, I just wanted to show that the two brands did not affect each other. As for the time between coats when priming I usually have about three or four light coats built up on my cars. You can add another coat every half hour since Tamiya primer dries so fast but I personally like to do a quick check for any imperfections in my primer. If I see some I'll wait and let the body totally dry,if not I finish up my priming. And as for going from primer to paint I always as a rule of thumb (Personally) let my last coat of primer dry over night before I spray my first color coat.

Austin, it's Ok. That's what we're here for, to help each other. Really good insights on the way you paint, I appreciate the info, and I need all the help I can get! Thanks. The '57 does look great!

Now, if the weather here would just cooperate I might get to utilize some of this information! It's been 'really' humid/cloudy, and , or , raining for two weeks straight! I kid you not. Ya gotta love it.