Model Cars Magazine Forum

'57 Ford Chop top

Pat Minarick

Without doubt, the most believable slightly-weathered bare metal finish I've seen so far on a model. How'd you do it?

Thanks Bill . I just covered it with BMF ,then sanded it with some sand paper on the end a penchil.Then washed over with a real thin rusty wash,and resanded.This is the first time trying it and I will try again.

Pat... I am totally impressed by the Bare Metal Foil trick you did there. That looks awesome and gives it a killer look. I may have to give it a try sometime. Awesome Job on this.

Thank you Chris, I was just messing around with it. It was going to be a shiny custom but ended up being a Rat Rod. I hate polishing paint anyway.

That's awesome. I don't see any seams in the BMF. Did you use a single piece for each major body panel? How did you avoid wrinkles??

Thanks Chris. If you rip the foil and not cut it leaving a sharp edge, you can hide seams pretty good. It helps hiding the seams when you sand it.I used big piece when I could and in a few tight places I used a little stainless steel metalizer.For the first time doing this, I wished I used something with less curves

wow...crazy "paintjob"...thats a really good idea with the foil!

i have to make a DeLorean and would try with alclad. but as i saw your BMF-result, makes me think about it. just cool!

Thank you, Dominik .you should try it out,just brush it all in one direction.

Looks so realistic. Amazing. I love it..

Thanks Carl.