Model Cars Magazine Forum

What engine is this supposed to be? Update/Replacement engine found!

Got this kit over the weekend and there's nothing on the box, or , the instructions as to what engine it's supposed to represent. Only thing I can think is maybe small block Chevy? Any ideas? This kit is from 2000. Thanks.

post-12459-0-52462900-1402336358_thumb.j

post-12459-0-84554400-1402336385_thumb.j

post-12459-0-78991800-1402336404_thumb.j

I don't really like the way this engine looks, it looks like a 'model car engine' so getting ideas for replacement/enhancement.

Edited by Speedfreak

Yep Andy is right, that's what my kit says, too. I think the engine in that kit is pretty poor, too and I'm installing a Chevy Big Block on mine. Well, there's a lot work in that kit anyway with the amount of flash and ejector pin marks etc it has.

Thanks for the replies. I have the Revell Parts Pak (85-7254) Ford 427 is that the same engine?

Does anyone make a resin injection manifold for this Ford engine? 'Cause the manifold supplied with the kit is the worst part of the engine!

Niko, Mine has flash (lots of flash) on the seam between the back of the roof and upper rear deck, should be fun removing that without erasing the trim line that is supposed to be there.

Edited by Speedfreak

Thanks Casey! That clears up a lot. As it happens, I have the engine from an old AMT '33 Willy's kit that a friend gave me awhile back. It's missing a few parts (oil filter/starter/etc,..) and needs to be cleaned up but the basic engine: block/heads/valve covers/front cover/trans is all there, 'That' engine looks very nice.

I also found a guy on ebay (Arrowhead) something that makes a resin injection manifold for this engine, so , if I can find the other parts I'll use that engine.

Edited by Speedfreak

Some builders on this forum have used 60s vintage full sized fords as a source for the SOHC. Look here.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=36795

The cammer can be identified by the cam covers on the face of each head. The blue plates in Ace's photo. Google 427 sohc for pics.

Dale

Edited by ScaleDale

The blue covers on the timing cover on Ace's photo is to get access to the tensioner and idler wheel for the 6 feet secondary timing chain, the cam shafts are directly under the wide valve covers.

This engine is a true Hemi as the combustion chambers are hemisferical and the 427 SOHC put out 616 hp at 7000 rpm and 515 lbs/ft torque at 3800 rpm when Ford dyno tested one back in 1964....not bad for an engine developed in 90 days.

Edited by Force

The blue covers on the timing cover on Ace's photo is to get access to the tensioner and idler wheel for the 6 feet secondary timing chain, the cam shafts are directly under the wide valve covers.

This engine is a true Hemi as the combustion chambers are hemisferical and the 427 SOHC put out 616 hp at 7000 rpm and 515 lbs/ft torque at 3800 rpm when Ford dyno tested one back in 1964....not bad for an engine developed in 90 days.

Wow, what a beast! 515 lbs/ft torque at 3800 rpm! Hold on to nothing! 'Cause you ain't leaning forward! No wonder they were being used by drag racers! Was the '6 foot secondary timing chain one chain? That ran to both heads?

Stay away from Arrowhead Aluminum!

Dale

So where do I find a decent injection manifold for this engine then? Or, is there one, other than bashing a kit? Thanks.

Edited by Speedfreak

Wow, what a beast! 515 lbs/ft torque at 3800 rpm! Hold on to nothing! 'Cause you ain't leaning forward! No wonder they were being used by drag racers! Was the '6 foot secondary timing chain one chain? That ran to both heads?

As you see on Dale's picture the 6 foot chain drives both cams...and one cam was actually set a couple of degrees before the other to compensate for chain slack.

Yes the engine was a true beast with 12.0:1 compression, 2.250" intake and 1.90" exhaust valves, roller rockers, huge intake and exhaust ports with great flow and two carbs.

Edited by Force

Tonight I started thinking that I was just making things too complicated, " just build the kit as it is " then I looked at the engine again, it doesn't have a distributor, or , an oil filter! Hello! :huh: It runs on vibes?

Problem solved: I just bought a 1996 AMT Limited Edition '33 Will'y Van. The engine looks killer, I'll maybe try and scratch build the Injection manifold for it. Hope it fits into the Austin frame okay, it's 1/25 scale, but , it's AMT not Revell. Here's a pic:

post-12459-0-39379600-1402660179_thumb.j

Now that's an engine! Looks very detailed, and a 'checkered' blower belt!

Why was the 427 S.O.H.C. banned by NASCAR?

Here's an interesting story about the engine:

http://www.dragzine.com/features/interviews/the-old-master-ed-pink-reflects-on-sohc-irl-and-midget-engines/

Edited by Speedfreak

The 427 SOHC in the AMT 33 Willys Coupe and Van kits is probably the best there is in model form...but the blower belt is only checkered on the boxart, no decals for it in the kits.

I don't know the exact reason why this engine was banned from NASCAR competition other than that NASCAR thought it could get out of hand.

Because when Chrysler heard that Ford was developing the SOHC they started development of a 426 DOHC 32 valve Hemi engine named A925, and when NASCAR heard of that they banned engines with overhead cams from NASCAR competition and only allowed pushrod engines...and that's still the case today...so both engines were stopped early.

The A925 426 DOHC was still in the experimental development stage and was never finished...none of the engines built were even started...Ford came a little further with theirs and the leftover parts and engines was given to the drag racers.
The A925 engine is available in model form in the AMT Pro Street 70 Dodge Super Bee kit, but as I said, the A925 were never finished to a functional engine.

Edited by Force

Sounds like he would have been one (maybe 'the') of 'the choice' people to have around if you were running a 'cammer' back then. That engine was a power house but was a little hard to maintain and keep race ready, at least for drag racing.. If it was running right it could beat the Hemi's but it took a 'really' talented mechanic to keep it that way, and even that wasn't enough at times. Given the design of the engine that's not difficult to understand.

Got the engine donor Willy's kit today! Looks like it's gonna drop right into the Austin, with some minor engine mount mods. I lined the block/tranny assembly up with the Austin frame and it's pretty close as is, shouldn't be much of a problem even for me! :lol: