Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help! Try to build AMT (MPC) Display Case Trailer.

Question? Has anybody ever successfully built AMT's (old MPC) Display Case Trailer, in its complete clear form? And if so, how do you do it? The instructions are of little to no help. How does one line everything up, glue it together, and get it to stay in place, all at the same time?

Tried Testor's Model Master clear parts cement and tape to hold it together. But, no luck. The parts are not warped and line up straight. Just a little baffled on how to put the clear parts together successfully.

I hope someone can tell me how to do this.

Scott

I'm slightly disappointed that only Mr. Kucaba has commented on this one. Has no one out there ever had any success building this kit with the clear sides and top? I've got the three sides kind of glued together so far. I'm now looking at getting them mated up with the top. I'm going slow on this, and still hoping some more people out there may have some good advice. And thanks to Mike Kucaba for the advice given so far.

Scott

How about using MEK or Tenax?

Tell me more Jim. Do they dry clear? And what effect do they have on clear plastic? I've used neither MEK or Tenax in the past, so I know little to nothing about them. One problem with Testors clear is does bond very quickly. This is OK in most circumstances. But in this situation it's a bit of a problem.

Scott

In my experience mek or tenax both melt the plastic. And would disfigure the clear plastic also sadly I can Not suggest anything that will help other then the white glue and watch crystal glue. Maybe an expoxy?

Edited by mnwildpunk

The box art shows a black stripe painted around the top at the seam that must be to hide the glue seam .

I pulled mine out and it is a bit warped. I will need to clamp it flat to start with. This will take a slow go at the gluing of this together. I see why not many are built.

As long as you're going for the see-through clear look, I would suggest using one of the clear-drying hobby glues such as Krystal Klear or canopy glue, or Testors window glue. They all appear whit and milky but dry clear. They're great, but they all take hours to set and cure.

I'd recommend using a flat surface and a couple of square uprights substantial enough to hold the trailer parts at a perpendicular position overnight. Place one side of the trailer on the flat surface, exterior down. Then run a fine bead of the white glue in the mating trough, position the front panel square and plumb, place your upright support in position to hold the front panel square and plumb while the glue sets, and then run a thin filet bead of the white glue along the interior corner of the joint you just created between the side and front panels.

Or, for extra strength ~ and if you're REALLY careful ~ you could use clear epoxy for the interior filet. Just be cognizant of how it tends to 'string' ~ a few errant strands of epoxy string on your clear trailer would really mess up the overall effect. And, many clear epoxies yellow over time.

After letting it set and cure unmolested overnight, you should have a pretty good anchor for the next step, which won't be quite as easy. Next, you need to repeat the first step with the other side (wall) of the trailer, but now you'll have to support the back end of the 1st side (the already glued side) so you can achieve the second square & plumb corner without breaking your first corner joint. Again, let it set overnight before you mess with it.

Now you should have the two sides joined with the front panel, and everything nice and square and plumb. Fit the three-sided assembly to the platform/chassis and run a bead of glue around the base of the walls and front panel. Use low-adhesion masking tape to hold the walls in place tightly to the platform/chassis, then stick the rear doors in place (no glue) and hold them together with tape. Next, fit the roof (no glue) to tops of the walls and front panel and tape tightly. This will hold the walls and front panel in alignment while the beads of white glue or epoxy set and cure ~ again, overnight.

Once those steps are complete, you should have a see-through trailer. Whether you glue the roof in place or not is your option. Obviously, everything will hold together with better structural strength if you glue the roof, but it should maintain well if you don't glue it . . . so long as handling is kept to a minimum.

The key to it all is to let the glue set and cure thoroughly!

Hope this helps and is what you were looking for.

B)

Thanks guys. Basically what you suggested Danno is the route I'm going with on building this. The exception, I plan on have the three walls together and roof lightly tacked on. I feel the roof needs to be firmly attached before mounting to the base trailer.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

Sorry late to respond back sounds like you got things handled watch crystal glue is a clear glue made to well glue watch crystals someone already named one of them krystal klear

Still working on this Dave. How strong and clear is this watch crystal glue? Tell me more.

Scott

Got talking with a non model building friend yesterday about this build. After much discussion my friend suggested clear bath caulk might work. So, today at Target I bought some Loctite Clear Silicon Waterproof Sealant. Thinking this might be tacky enough to hold the pieces together initially. The question. Will it work without damaging the clear styrene in any way? Anybody have any thoughts on this idea?

Scott

I suggested clear silicone a few days ago.

I'm sorry. That you did. I did not mean to discount your advice in any way. For some reason it didn't click until the non-modeling friend suggested it. I don't know why. So this stuff will not harm clear styrene in any way?

Scott

Doesn't hurt clear styrene in any way. Make sure you clean the areas to be joined well. Some people (like me) will sometimes use masking tape on either side of the joint. All depends how good you are at caulking.

Jim you must be reading my mind. Using masking tape in the way your talking about, is something I've been meaning to ask about. I was thinking about taping on outside of the trailer were two parts meet. Then laying in a small bead of clear silicone in the joint and folding the joining edges tightly together. Letting the tape help hold the pieces in place. Any thoughts on this?

Scott

I suggested clear silicone a few days ago.

Permatex sells a clear silicone that is "flow able". It is the same as regular silicone but is thinner.This may help and most auto parts stores should have it.

What do you guys know about something another MCCM member suggested at the last meeting about a hobby canopy glue with the name of 560 something? Paul, the MCCM member who suggested it can be a little pushy with suggestions, but is a pretty good modeler. None of the other MCCM members seemed to know anything about this glue. But, none countered him. So what is this stuff? And would it work for this? I like the idea it's already designed for hobby use and will not damage clear styrene.

Scott