Model Cars Magazine Forum

amt gto

Typical MPC kit from early 1970's. So expect low detail, especially with chassis. Not a bad kit overall. In general builds into a decent looking model. One little detail I like in this kit is the separate non-chrome grille inserts. I'm not concerned about the wrong spoiler. I like that generation GTO clean without things like spoilers. I'm not happy with the incorrect exhaust tips.

Scott

I don't have this particular kit, but if it's anything like the old MPC 1970 GTO, it's just a rough approximation of the real thing. I've heard that using the chassis parts from the AMT 1969 Hurst Olds will help a lot to make a better model.

now that right there is some great info, now I gotta scrounge up a 69 Hurst Olds kit.

Brayden, this kit looks to be an AMT reissue of an older MPC kit. Photos I have seen show the MPC logo on the decal sheet.

The instruction sheet shows a rather generic single carb version of a standard Pontiac style engine with 4 speed manual trans. Pontiac never made a "small block" V8 engine unless you count the 301cubic inch engine used in the turbo TA's.

If you use this kit engine you can claim it's anything from a 326 all the way up to 455...no real Pontiac expert would be able to tell the difference at this scale.

My opinion is that the engine in this kit is not the best looking Pontiac engine in this scale, if you want something better it can be found in one of the Revell parts packs which seem to be popular on ebay lately.

Heresy!! Get a Pontiac V8 from the 1/25 Revell 66 GTO or the 1/25 Revell 68 Firebird; I'm sure somebody recasts one or both of those engines.

actually, I had the same reaction only I was tempted to tell him to set the GTO aside till his sanity returns. :)

I have heard good things about the revell parts pack pontiac engines, I see them on evilbay....4 for $13 and free shipping...sounds like a bargain.

Like it was said before, Pontiac didn't make a "small block" or Big block." They are, well...a Pontiac block. Ranging from 326-455...it's all internal bore & stroke blah blah blah. But, to answer the question about a '72, the GTO came with a 400, 455, or 455HO. Your choice what to call it. In '72, the GTO was nothing more than an option on the LeMans line again with your choice of the 3 engines, the Tranny, and Pontiac added the GTO stickers, yes...stickers. No more emblems. I had a '72 LeMans that looked like a GTO with the Endura Bumper, RA Hood, & Fender Extractors('72 only), but my car had a 350 2BBL and Turbo 350 Tranny. But anyway, like Joseph said, if you're going to swap the engine for a better looking one, I would opt for the one from the '68 Firebird. It's already a 4BBL that would be correct. The engine from the '66 GTO kit is a Tri-Power(what Pontiac calls it) and is incorrect for anything after '66. '66 was the last year for that, so you'd have to come up with a single carb intake and carb for it. Oh, and both of those kit engine are 1/25th scale. Hope some of this info helps.