Model Cars Magazine Forum

National Lampoon spoof on model ad

I am not sure it was a boys life satire, but I remember it. It looked like a AMT 1957 Ford 3 in 1 Trophy kit box like the original, except the Ford was a Custom 300 version instead of a Fairlane.

In place of Stock, Custom or Styline, it read - Abused, dented or wrecked

WOW!! Just looked through the model car article (and, maybe, just maybe, some of the other stuff.....), and - it REALLY REALLY bothers me that I HAD that issue back in the day, but don't now. Moving and moving again, etc. stuff gets "lost"...

Thanks for the link!! Was fun to read.

Sorry to go off-topic.

if you look around at some more of the content (and there is definitely interesting stuff to see!), you might notice an ad for "Monster Shirts" originating from Mill Valley CA. that was in fact Stanley Mouse after moving out west from Detroit to become a rather famous artist of SF rock posters as well as his own hot rod art. He drew a number of album covers for the grateful dead as well as for offshoot groups in fact there is a t-shirt design there for mickey hart's rolling thunder revue, but I think they took the logo from mouse's design and had him redraw it later for their band logo and first album cover design.

in case some of you might not know who this "Mouse" I am referring to is, he was more or less ed roth's #1 competitor in the "weirdo" T shirt business in the early/mid sixties, the biggest difference being, when you saw Mouse at a car show doing shirts, he hand painted the entire design with airbrush, while roth worked on pre-printed shirts and just basically fogged some color over the preprint with his airbrush.

Stanley Mouse still loves models and even builds them a bit (this was actually a few years back). he is a totally kool character and generally very approachable and friendly.

jb