Model Cars Magazine Forum

How Much Do You Spend On Hobbies?

Tom Geiger

like most of you guys the bills and family comes first and by far not rich but my wife is very understanding :wub: and lets me spend around a hundred a month i don't have any other bad habits just a bad case of plastic addiction thats what my wife says she just shakes her head when she comes in my shop :o then she told me you have a problem and i just smile and tell i could be doing worse things :rolleyes:

vince

like most of you guys the bills and family comes first and by far not rich but my wife is very understanding :wub: and lets me spend around a hundred a month i don't have any other bad habits just a bad case of plastic addiction thats what my wife says she just shakes her head when she comes in my shop :o then she told me you have a problem and i just smile and tell i could be doing worse things :rolleyes:

vince

Exactly Vince...there are way too many other hobbies people have and most are much more expensive. Building models can be a very expensive hobby or not so expensive depending on ones building desires and where one shops for kits,etc. Me I have learned to be very creative to find and build models..its not easy but it can be done...with my lack of a budget it has to be :lol:

modeling is not about buying things, it's about making them.

Amen! People still remember the name Joe Cavorley even though he's been dead about 15 years at this point. He is remembered as one of the best light and heavy commercial modelers. Joe was a disabled man who lived on a limited fixed income. He'd turn out award winning, magazine cover models with no money. He'd usually start with broken old built ups he bought scrounging in junk boxes at shows. Guys would give Joe models and parts. You had to be careful with that since Joe was very proud and wouldn't take charity.

He scratch built a lot of stuff. From small parts, to whole truck bodies. He'd do so with scrap plastic, old signs and the like. Occasionally he'd splurge for some Evergreen sheets or rod / shapes. He once told me he didn't have the money to buy after market parts.... he said if his truck needed a broom, he'd make it from a toothpick and some straw, rather than just paint up a resin one. And in the end his broom looked much better than any resin one could!

When Joe died of his illness, the hobby ghouls were knocking on his door immediately and upset his wife greatly. They all thought he would have an extensive model collection. Nope! A mutual friend told me there was nothing more than a couple of parts boxes and other building supplies. Joe maximized with what he had, what he could afford. And he was known throughout the hobby for his work.

Every time I hear some one complaining that they can't compete because they can't afford to buy a lathe or a big spray booth, I think of Joe.

I guess I'm fortunate in that I spend how ever much I want whenever I want to spend it. I don't buy the high end exotic kits and look for deals. Yesterday I bought a '34 ford cabriolet, '37 ford coupe, and a '54 Chevy sedan/delivery - all for $30.00.

Most of the Kits and tools that I own I purchased years and years ago while working at Hobbytown USA, so I got for pretty cheap. I think over the last 7 years after quitting I have only purchased like 10 kits. So for me the hobby stays relatively inexpensive because I have enough to build for quite a long time. Plus since finding this forum I have made trades for a few more so thats cool.

Any of the cost involved for the hobby was my spray booth and misc. supplies like paints, glues etc

When I started this thread I was hoping to get responses by guys who had quit vices and spent some of the money on the hobby. For instance I remember guys who quit smoking putting half the savings into plastic. In fact I know a guy who bought himself a brand new car, using his old cigarette money as the payment. He said his wake up call was when he finally added it up and realized for the first time how much it cost.

Then there are the guys who put their own hobby / pleasure ahead of home and family. I've known of guys who were in bad financial situations who continued to spend a few hundred a month on eBay. I know of a guy whose family car was repossessed while he was at a model show! And what about that father you see at shows dragging around two disinterested kids who are carrying big bags of his purchases. Did he spend any money on them that day? What was the life lesson those kids learned there?

Edited by Tom Geiger

I buy new kits and some old kits off ebay but I get more satisfaction from rebuilding old glue bombs. I like to make the most of junk kits and parts 20140412_103638_zpseb817995.jpg. This is a picture of a firebird I restored from a junk kit.

When I raced RC cars.... I spent $1000's a year.

On my model building..... Maybe...$100 a month....some months I spend nothing, others I spend like $400 to $500 depending on my cash flow. But less then $900 a year.

They say never go food shopping when hungry. I try to never go Hobby shopping with more money then I need, If I do, I will find something or many things that were not on my list.

They say never go food shopping when hungry. I try to never go Hobby shopping with more money then I need, If I do, I will find something or many things that were not on my list.

Recently I drove a good distance to check out a new hobby shop. I was disappointed by the selection, they didn't have any of the kits on my want list. I found myself trying to buy a kit, just because I was there! Then I caught myself and left empty handed.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been making models for now, some 50 years. I have literally thousands of kits and tools I've picked up along the way. I was a Silversmith and commercial artist, and many new modeling tools came from those endeavors.

I still use tools from 40 years ago. (You should see all the clothespins!).. Nothing goes to waste if I can help it.

Money spent on all this? -Thousands..

Fun I have and had, -Priceless.

I'm set for life as far as model building. I have tons of tools.....supplies.... Paints.... And most importantly..... Tons of kits.....from Military to civilian......I'm a happy camper!.... Money wise.... Not an issue.

Ah, but every great idea involves parts from a kit you don't own! Murphy's Law of Modeling! :D

Ok, here is a thought for you to chew on. I spend a fair amount on tools and other things for this hobby, but to my surprise they work in with my other hobbies and the fixup work I do around the house. For instance, I have a Shurline mill and lathe. The other day I bought some of the new eloop batteries. Suppose to be a super battery. They only come in AAA but have spacers to make them into C and D sizes. Thought I was getting a good deal for my Maglite. Unfortunately the negative contact spring in the Maglite was too big to make contact with the AAA battery in the spacer. Whip out some brass and turn a button to fit in the spring and they work just fine. Saved having a bunch of expensive batteries around that didn't work in everything. I also use the mill and lathe for turning metal parts such as threaded inserts for my other hobby of wood working. My wife needs to have some of the nick-knacks fixed, hobby tools work wonders on them. It all overlaps. I have probably spent as much on tools as kits, but they are all useful for things beyond the model bench. That's my story and I am sticking to it. ;)

Edited by Pete J.

I still use tools from 40 years ago. (You should see all the clothespins!).. Nothing goes to waste if I can help it.

Money spent on all this? -Thousands..

Fun I have and had, -Priceless.

Yup. And like Pete, I have a ton of 1:1 tools and materials that are constantly useful in model-building.