Model Cars Magazine Forum

Walt's Puffer Too T-Bucket Altered

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been slow but detail always takes time. Got a water crossover piece made for the water jackets on the front of the heads along with a filler. Went to take a few pictures this morning and the camera battery was dead. Hopefully will get some posted tonight.

Thanks for the comments Gene and Scott. Well, here's a pic as promised although i didn't realize until I enlarged the picture that it wasn't seated all of the way. Oh well.

Its made from aluminum tubing that i polished and I had a photo etch radiator cap in the parts box. The timing cover will get painted engine color once an adjustable bracket is made for the tensioner pulley.

WaterConnector_zpsdda1b65a.jpg

Thanks for following along.

Edited by gasser59

Thanks Chris and Mike. Your comments, along with others, keep pushing me to get back to the bench.

Mike - I use Zap-A-Gap for most everything and it holds to aluminum quite well. As you can see on the far side of the water cross-over piece, I pin almost everything. It allows me to test fit things together and gives more surface area for the glue.

Work has really slowed down on this build. The weather has been a bit crazy here with all of the rain, flooding, power outages and downed trees and limbs. Now that most of the clean up on our acre has been taken care of, I hope to get in some time this week.

Next up is the fuel pump that goes on the back of the blower as mentioned earlier in this thread. Kind of tight back there with the magneto but I'll get it to fit.

It does dry clear but if you get the tube extenders, you'll not overshoot. You'll get just the amount you need.

OK, I have yet another question about Z-a-G. Which one do you recommend for aluminum and plastic? I see several different kinds, I can imagine the thicker stuff is better, not the super thin glue. Am I right? Could you tell me the exact type you recommend? I see there are a lot of different types.

Michael

Since I haven't been able to source any reference for the front part of the engine, I've been utilizing the photo posted below as reference since its probably the same shop and builder that put together both of these cars.

WPII_zpsff1423ef.jpg

I didn't realize until I was studying this photo that the Walt's Puffer too is in the background with a cover over the scoop. I don't know how I missed that before. I'm usually more observant than that. LOL

I can see the same water crossover pipe and fill cap as on the one in the foreground.

Edited by gasser59

Engine is finally painted, blower is attached, water crossover is glued on( although I broke off the filler tube) and tensioner pulley bracket and pulley are glued on. also painted the injector hat and valve covers with Alclad.

Here's a few pics:

PaintedEngineV_zps7549e226.jpg

I just had to set up a mock up just to have a look.

PaintedEngineH_zps3f9cd1b6.jpg

Progress is slow but its still progress. As always, comments welcome.

Hi Brad, hey....it's me again with them questions.

What adhesive material do you guys use for mocking up? I've had trouble with my last two models (well my first 2 since the mid 70's), and I got into serious trouble with fitting issues. Please don't tell me brand names (I'm in Europe) just what the stuff is that works.

I tried today with my new project a quick drying wood glue that I diluted with water. I used to use this method with securing tackle on all of my wooden tall ship models.

So, what would you recommend?

PS: I'm watching every one of yours moves, so don't flub up! lol. I like the progress.

Michael

Well, in this instance, nothing is temporarily glued. The rear end/axle is held on with a small rubber band, gravity is holding the front axle in place and the engine is just sitting in the motor mounts without the piano wire it will eventually get.

On other builds, I've used Elmer's (sorry...its a brand name) that been diluted but whatever it is you're temporarily gluing needs to be washed off with warm water when done so keep that in mind.