Model Cars Magazine Forum

Walt's Puffer Too T-Bucket Altered

Looking might fine, Brad! It's tough when there's not much in the way of reference photos... :(

I've found a nearly foolproof way to get reference photos.

Take your best guess and build it that way. The first person you show it to--certainly, no later than the third person you show it to--will produce detailed photos, usually in full color, showing you did it wrong. Works almost every time! :lol::lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A bit more done this weekend and the major holdup was the Reath fuel pump which mounts to the back of the blower. Made one out of a piece of spruce and shaped on my Dremel. Added Scale Hardware rivets for the detail. Also prepared the magneto. Had one ready for install but I'll be danged if I can find it. Had to source another one from the parts box.

Here's the magneto and fuel pump.

EngineRear1_zps1064c0fc.jpg

Also got the injector plumbing done by using RB Motion stainless steel tubing, piano wire and some thin black wire insulation.

InjectorPlumbing_zpse78e49df.jpg

Also had to flatten the front leaf spring since the car sat too high. Got the rims painted and mounted the tires so the front end is complete. The radius arms will be fun.

Here's a couple of pics.

LeafSpring_zps1a936eee.jpg

FrontRims_zps3f5d9690.jpg

The chassis got cleaned up after some bondo work on the joints. The bell housing was painted but needed to be sanded and puttied again because of a few pits. Things are staring to move along with assemblies painted. Stay tuned and comments always welcome.

Edited by gasser59

Thanks Gene. The front wheels are from the parts box and I'm not certain where they're from. I DO know they are not from the DDragster kit as those have thicker spokes and larger diameter hubs. I think they're from the '57 Ford gasser kit but not certain.

Thanks Chris. Yes, I'm glad I've been able to get some bench time in and glad I'm getting closer to the finish line.

The chassis got its final coat of Tamiya SemiGloss Black this morning before work. Wired up the right side plugs last night although nothing's glued yet. I inserted a piece of black wire insulation in the plug holes in the valve covers then inserted the actual plug wires.

PassPlugWires_zps8bbbfcb6.jpg

Here's a pic of the enhanced engine stand. It was in a couple of pieces when I got it so it needed some strengthening. I used aluminum tubing and also lengthened the tabs that hold the front part of the engine block.

EngineStand_zps833a2f8b.jpg

Progress continues. Stay tuned. I've got a bunch to get done on this and other started builds for DSC XI in April. I'll be busy.

Edited by gasser59

A bit more work done on the engine with the bell housing shot with Alclad. So now the bell housing and the tranny are glued on. Finished wiring up the plugs and added a fuel line to the injector distribution block from the rear mounted Reath fuel pump. Just had to put a mock up together for a picture.

MockUp1_zps782680bb.jpg

Here's one of the engine showing the rear mounted fuel pump. It was scratch built and the 'rivets' are actually Scale Hardware rivets that were shortened.

FuelPump1_zps271e6f05.jpg

Progress continues. Thanks for following along and comments welcome.

Edited by gasser59

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments Gene, Chris and Russ. I really need to get back to work on this. A few of the posts are missing since the last time I worked on this. I ordered some turned aluminum rims from Jim at MicroNitro since I had an order in with him for rims for my sprint car. The rim have come in an here's a few pictures.

This first one is from Jim. The second one shows them in place.

FourSlotRims_zps4ec9e2c1.jpg

PufferRim1_zps1a0ca111.jpg

I had to switch slicks since the new rims are a bit smaller in diameter. Still need scuffing up.

Comments welcome.

• 4 weeks later...

Now that the holidays are over, I finally put this back on my work bench. Worked a bit on the front axle by taking the twist out of the leaf spring. Much better. Now I need to make the radius arms and thankfully, my wife got me a new soldering gun for Christmas. If you noticed, the arms have the letter 'W' in them and I've thought along I need to make these out of brass. I need to get some practice time in with the soldering gun. Stay tuned.

Brad...what an adventure and inspiration your project is. Particularly inspired by your tie rod/steering linkage and knuckle setup.

While I don't personally have the patience to work at this level any more (I did do so, in a way, at one time, in the late 1960's/very early 1970's, recognizing at the primitive state of car modeling detailing/scratchbuilding back then), I just find it fascinating to see how you and the other builders here who fabricate at your level, tackle and resolve each step of the building process. And of course, I am inspired by your choice of subject matter.

Great progress to date, will be watching with everyone else as you post further updates.

TIM

Edited by tim boyd