Model Cars Magazine Forum

Walt's Puffer Too T-Bucket Altered

Not much visible work done Gene. I did spend a bit of time on the turned rear wheels. I just couldn't live with the smaller diameter slicks so I went back to the ones I had previously. This caused me to need to narrow the aluminum rims with my saw, file and polish the cut edges and add a band of printing plate around the diameter of the rim since they were too small. Its much better and I'm happy with the results but need to polish some more on the cut section and clean that up a bit. Not sure how I'll address the gap between the tire and the rim from the backside. I'll come up with something. I had to remove the rear axle because I wasn't happy with the brake lines. Progress continues but all so slowly.

RimTrim_zps77608468.jpg

Edited by gasser59

• 2 months later...

Well fellas, I never was completely satisfied with the front twelve spoke rims on this build so I've ordered some from Jim at MicroNitro. he has recently added these to his awesome lineup. Also, I've run into a bit of an issue because when I went to make the radius rods, they hit the steering arm so a bit more reconfiguring is in order. I hope to get back to this once the Scout Truck is completed.

I appreciate your patience as well as your interest. Please stay tuned.

Edited by gasser59

• 1 month later...

A small package arrived in the mail yesterday from MicroNitro. The twelve spoke rims arrived from Jim and they are really sharp looking. They'll need a small amount of clean-up but man I love 'em. I've been waiting for these in order to continue and since I've hit a 'burn-out' phase on the Scout Truck, I may just jump back on this one.

Here's a picture for you guys.

PufferFrontRims_zpspa1g44yl.jpg

Brad, I'm sure those wheels only added to your anxiousness to get to the next step of this build. Jim did right by your build with the front rims. Bet you can see your vision of the car in totality now. Can't wait for you to share it. Cheers, Tim

Hi Brad, I'm happy too you're back to this build. You were the one, with this project who really got me started with building my own front end and moving on down the modelling road. The wheels look real sharp and will be perfect for this hot race car. Good stuff!

Michael

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. I've really been a slacker and in a slump since DSC. Its all my own fault and I just gotta get back into it. Its the journey, not the destination, right?

Yesterday, I was able to shorten the spindles and get the new front rims drilled out to accept the now shortened 1/16" aluminum spindles.

Hang with me fellas, I'll get back into it as it gets unbearable outside in our summer desert temps.

Sheesh.....you guys need to try some patience. LOL

Here's couple of pictures finally.

Here's how the MicroNitro rims mate up with the axle and tires, Jim's stuff is the best. I'm not sure why, but I really like this picture.

FrontAxle2_zpsgkpar74k.jpg

And here's the small aluminum tank with PE brackets and wire with insulation for the straps. Many times I use the wire from inside twist ties and holiday bows.

GasTank_zpsh4sdwbyt.jpg

That's all for now fellas. Like I said at the top of the page...small doses.