Model Cars Magazine Forum

74 Dodge Challenger rebuild

ChrisPflug

Another eBay purchase in not too bad of shape - no big plans for this one, just a basic rebuild keeping the MPC "character" I had a resin '74 hood in the parts box. For the engine I'm thinking of using the much maligned MPC Volare LA/ Torqueflite combo. Wheels will either be slotted mags or Keystones

741_zps0016824c.jpg

Nothing like a simple tub interior with a little paint detail. The dashes in all the MPC Challengers are the '70 non-Rallye with AC which really isn't correct for any of the years (the 70 and 71 annuals are badged as R/Ts, the 72-74's have the fender scoops that were available only on the Rallye- a separate model in '72 and option package '73-'74) all these models would have come with the Rallye dash in 1:1

The body only needed a little sanding and a fresh coat of primer and paint- "Director Red" rattle can touch up paint

IMG_0375_zpsa5236f21.jpg

IMG_0381_zps9e51f2ff.jpg

IMG_0385_zpsa1f424d4.jpg

IMG_0384_zps6e917e0b.jpg

That's cool. I'll be watching this build. I have an original MPC '73 Challenger that I got for Christmas in '72; being 17 at the time, I built it with the "gasser" option. I planned on rebuilding it with the AMT/Ertl Challenger chassis but I am considering their Duster chassis as it's a little more accurate.I will use the 340 from the same Duster kit (not the street machine version). It has the A/C setup. Hopefully, it will have more than just a passing resemblance to the real '73 that I had so loooong ago.

Worked on a few details, drilled the steering wheel spokes and added a turn signal stalk, shortened the shifter handle, added some paint to the wheels and just a little paint on the chassis- nothing much going on here- didn't even take the rear axle back off. Starting on some foil

IMG_0428_zpsba67d7e2.jpg

IMG_0423_zps60dd616e.jpg

IMG_0421_zpsbe007a44.jpg