Model Cars Magazine Forum

Name That Tune....

JollySipper

>I Can See Clearly Now by Johnny Nash, with Bob Marley

bingo

frank was a bundle of contradictions.

ever see this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-7XZvYgtaY

I have seen that. Steve Allen was pretty edgy for the time.

Not familiar with that particular Grateful Dead song, but it's obviously about the Merry Pranksters and the acid test- I ride by Ken Kesey's house occasionally, and met Wavy Gravy a couple of times in the '70s

I have seen that. Steve Allen was pretty edgy for the time.

Not familiar with that particular Grateful Dead song, but it's obviously about the Merry Pranksters and the acid test- I ride by Ken Kesey's house occasionally, and met Wavy Gravy a couple of times in the '70s

Mike, Did you ever get a chance to see what's left of the Bus?

yes it would be a reference to Keseys Merry Pranksters and to Jack Kerouac's On the Road.

I have lived in the bay area on and off since i was about 15, a good portion of it in Marin county just north of San Francisco, and was just sort of coming of age in 65 when all fun was starting, the real fun not the manufactured "fun" of the media stories. though they were one of my favorite bands earlier on, I have not been a fan of the Dead since about the mid 70s but I do have to admit their lyricist Robert hunter was a great song writer at times. not sure he wrote those lyrics but pretty certain.

jb

jb, I also lived in the Bay area starting at 15. Graduated H.S. mid Peninsula at the end of the 60's. I met the Dead via Pigpens younger brother Kevin. Mostly a fun time. Literally a time of the Highest of Highs and the Lowest of Lows............

yes it would be a reference to Keseys Merry Pranksters and to Jack Kerouac's On the Road.

I have lived in the bay area on and off since i was about 15, a good portion of it in Marin county just north of San Francisco, and was just sort of coming of age in 65 when all fun was starting, the real fun not the manufactured "fun" of the media stories. though they were one of my favorite bands earlier on, I have not been a fan of the Dead since about the mid 70s but I do have to admit their lyricist Robert hunter was a great song writer at times. not sure he wrote those lyrics but pretty certain.

jb

On the Road was written well before the Merry Pranksters existed- sure you aren't thinking of the Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe?

Mike, Did you ever get a chance to see what's left of the Bus?

I have not. Apparently, the original bus (which was named "Further") is completely rotted-out behind the barn where it can't be seen from the road. Several years ago, Kesey bought another old bus and painted it up and tried to pass it off as the original to the Smithsonian. :lol:

Neal Cassidy ("Cowboy Neal") was the central character of On the Road, wasn't he?

wiki:

Neal Leon Cassady (February 8, 1926 – February 4, 1968) was a major figure of the Beat Generation of the 1950s and the psychedelic and counterculture movements of the 1960s. He was prominently featured as himself in the original "scroll" (first draft) version of Jack Kerouac's novel On the Road. He also served as the model for the character Dean Moriarty in the 1957 version of the novel. In many of Kerouac's later books, Cassady is represented by the character Cody Pomeray

jb

I lived by Olompali on the outskirts of Novato during most of that time, before it became a park and before the Dead decamped from SF and moved there. i remember my dad getting all bent about all the hippies moving into the area and all the nudity going on over there but i also noticed him paying attention to the young teenyboppers. then my parents sold the house and we moved to relatively sedate Sacramento. i moved back to the area after i graduated from high school and lived near Mill Valley and Bolinas while i went to school.

I also lived in Stinson Beach some years later when J Garcia moved there and the place kinda went nuts for awhile.

jb

It's got a band new chimney put on top

And it's a made out of human skull

Come on take a little walk with me baby

bo diddley who do you love

covered a lot too

jb

George Thorogood is the one I know.