Model Cars Magazine Forum

'62 Corvette

Snake45

You all can thank ME PERSONALLY for the "new" Revell '62 Corvette kit.

For more than 40 YEARS I wanted a Honduras Maroon '62 on Americans, and tried to figger out how to get one out of the wretched backbirth AMT kit. (Kitbash with an MPC '60? Would be easier to do a '61 from that combo, can I settle for a '61? etc etc etc.) When Model Master came out with Honduras Maroon paint, the urge became almost uncontrollable. Finally a couple years ago I couldn't take it any more, and decided to bite the bullet and Snake-slap the horrid AMT thing together OOB, more or less.

Of course you've guessed the punchline already: A week after I finished the thing, Revell announced their new one. Ain't it always the way? (No hard top in the first issue of that kit, though, we had to wait for the gasser version, which I coincidentally just saw for the first time and bought yesterday.)

Here the hot little mess is, anyway. It'll be moving to the Shelf of Shame soon, where it will probably be the star...

AMT62Vette06.jpg

AMT62Vette01.jpg

AMT62Vette02.jpg

AMT62Vette03.jpg

Much like certain people I can think of, it looks better going away:

AMT62Vette04.jpg

AMT62Vette05.jpg

This is a Revell '59/'60 Corvette front with an AMT '62 Corvette rear section. The Revell was a brand new kit, but the AMT 62 was a certified gluebomb that I got off Ebay. I was going to throw the 62 in the trash, but I decided to make a '61 Corvette.

There are some photos of the '60 Vette in Route 66 season 1, but it appears that it was at least later a light blue '61

The real photos came from Internet Movie Database Cars.

post-11981-0-62212900-1410641856_thumb.j

post-11981-0-12710900-1410641895_thumb.j

post-11981-0-76106000-1410641935_thumb.j

Edited by Bob Ellis

If you had only considered combining the '60 MPC with the '62 AMT to make a '61, you would have stayed a front runner. Fate is cruel.

I think your 62 looks great. I would be happy with it.

Yeah, I did think about that (see original post). And I might do it still, as I have a couple more AMT '62s and I really don't care for the back end of the '60.

I'm also thinking of combining the front end of the (unbuildable) Gasser MPC '57 with a '62 assend to make a single headlight, stingray-reared phantom.

Thanks for the kind words.

Edited by Snake45

I just got the Revell '62 Gasser kit yesterday. I think I'm gonna paint the body and top Honduras Maroon and put them (and the interior) on this chassis. And then use the gasser chassis on another project...maybe a '63 Corvette, or maybe a '57....

Snake, I still like your '62 anyway, "warts & all", as the saying goes. Despite its faults, the AMT kit has held up well for so many years.

Hey, Bob Ellis, did you open the trunk on an AMT '62, or did you use the body shell from an old SMP kit?

I just wish that Revell had designed their '62 kit to include the opening trunk feature.

The original AMT/SMP '61 and '62 Corvettes had the opening trunks as you say. Not sure what issue Snake's '62 is, but only the annual '62 had opening trunk. I agree, Snake's 62 looks good.

The rear end I cut off to match the '60 front was from an a '62 annual kit.

I heard talk about a red Route 66 Corvette. Problem is that the show was filmed in black and white. There doesn't seem to many still shots in color of the car. I know there was a light blue and a light brown. There may be other colors as it sounds like the studios were experimenting with different colors to get the B/W film to look the way they wanted.

I have several different boxings of this kit, the oldest being a Countdown from the late '70s and the newest being a Boyd Coddington thing. I think the actual kit used here was a late '80s or '90s boxing, photo box art, and molded in red. I believe I bought it "used, opened, maybe even started a little" at a club meeting for $3 or something like that.

Well done !!!

I recently saw a pic somewhere of Buzz and Todd's ride and it was silver...the car looks better in your Honduras Maroon !

Thanks for sharing !!!

I have a diecast '62 Vette which commemorates the "Route 66" TV show, and it is what I would refer to as "Fawn" in GM color reference....

The original AMT/SMP '61 and '62 Corvettes had the opening trunks as you say. Not sure what issue Snake's '62 is, but only the annual '62 had opening trunk. I agree, Snake's '62 looks good.

The rear end I cut off to match the '60 front was from an a '62 annual kit.

The '62 Vette is my favorite, so I love it whenever someone posts photos of their project. Nice one, Snake.

Here's what the elusive '62 AMT annual kit looks like.

post-10758-0-81754900-1410813397_thumb.j

My older brother (now '71) built this one back in the day. It has survived 50+ years.

Love that opening trunk!

post-10758-0-70076100-1410813617_thumb.j

post-10758-0-73973100-1410813681_thumb.j

Snake - you can start a "Show Me Your '62 Vette" thread. :-)