Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need some help with a Pro Stock Car Idea I have.

Zahadum

Need some guidance and input on an idea and if it’s even possible.

I really like the new camaro pro stocks but realize there are no kits out there so have to go the resin route I think.

I did find this: 2012/13 Camaro so looks like doing one is possible in theory.

My concerns are:
1.) How do you get the decals and other stuff being nothing is out there for a specific car?
2.) Have not built a model in awhile and have never did a resin so not sure what’s involved in building a resin and if I should not even try at this point and consider it a pipe dream.

If there are already threads on some of this that missed please direct me to them.

Thank you in advance for the help with this.

You will need to buy as directed a Revell Pro stock Kit for the Chassis . The Bob Glidden kit has been released not to long ago. Or if you have something for trade post in the wanted section. As far as working with resin do a search in the tips or questions section. You should be able to find an answer there . I do know that you need to soak the body in bleach white overnight. Scrub well and then was with a good dish detergent . Then just paint with any paint you want to.

Hey! Use the new camaro body! Any newer kit is fine! Hes right! A recent prostock kit will work for a donor chassis! May have to do a little modifying for interrior tub to work! Next i would use the the block! 427! But thy still run the tunnel ram twin carb set up! Pro stock also use the linko tranny! Fuel cell! Roll cage should be in donor kit an a few othe goodies! U can order most off fee bay! Some nice over sized rear slicks! And a pro stock hood scoop! Slixx has a nice one for $4.50! Decals, thy have a few sets of Summit racing at slixx and on fee bay! I know! I just researched the same thing! RESIN IS NICE but will cost more! And u still need a donor chassis! A super stock camaro done in the summit is a lot cheaper! But its not a pro stock and i get that?

Ya know! The 66 nove pro street chassis may work nicely! Good luck hit me up if i can help ya in anyway!

Al.

Alan great point about the Nova chassis . What about the 67 Chevelle ? But these are both prostreet not prostock.

Are you trying to make a current pro stock as in right on the money or just a good looking ( as good as the new Camaro will let it LOL) shelf model? The old Ricky Smith Pontiac should work also.

I think the current pro stock cars are injected , but I could be wrong.

The Camaro bodys for the street cars and Pro Stock cars are a lot different, the Pro stock bodies are both longer and narrower and tweaked both here and there and doesn't look much like the street car anymore, so you can't just take a model of the street car and do a correct looking Pro Stocker out of it without a lot of body work.

But I see you have found the Competition Resins Pro Stock Camaro body.

Here are a couple of pictures where you can see the difference between the Pro Stock cars and the street cars.

First the 2012-13 Pro Stock Camaro body

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

And the 2013 street car.

2013-chevrolet-camaro-ss-1le-front-three

sports-car.jpg

The 2014 Pro Stock Camaro

1782169_709301255760072_410606184_n.jpg

1796600_10152533502639881_617516488_n.jp

And the 2014 street car.

GAZ_43eb964cc0e54f069df80b7a53877ff7.jpg

NAZ_afe103fffe214ab6bdc06aab66898b96.jpg

Edited by Force

Thanks everyone for the input so far. Honestly a little nervous about doing this as it needs a lot of custom work and not sure I have the skill to do it correctly.

What's totally ironic about this and if it means destiny or just coincidence is that the picture of Shane Tucker Pro Stock above is the exact car I would like to do!! :)

Edited by Zahadum

Thanks everyone for the input so far. Honestly a little nervous about doing this as it needs a lot of custom work and not sure I have the skill to do it correctly.

What's totally ironic about this and if it means destiny or just coincidence is that the picture of Shane Tucker Pro Stock above is the exact car I would like to do!! :)

Well then you have a bit of a problem Brian...that car is a 2014 Camaro and that's not available in resin yet, the Competition Resin Camaro body is a 2012-13...but it's probably possible to modify it to a 2014 if you want to...it's mostly the front and rear lights that's different.

I haven't seen any decals for that car either, but Slixx do have decals for the Summit 2013 cars and they have the complete line of Competition Resin products too, http://www.slixx,com

Working with resin isn't that hard, it's just important to get the body clean from any mold release or other greasy things that can cause trouble with the paint, and soaking it in Westley's Bleach White over night is a good tip, wash it thuroughly before paint, resin can take almost any paint out there so you don't have to worry that much about that.

You can't use regular model cement as it doesn't work on the resin, you have to use epoxy or super glue.

Use a respirator when you sand resin as the resin dust isn't good for your health.

And I would follow Andy's advice as you haven't done a model in a while and build a practice Pro Stock or Pro Sportsman kit just out of box first so you get the feel for it, it doesn't matter how it comes out, you'll learn and get experience from it either way and what to do and not to do with the next build.

Edited by Force

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll look for a PS kit to do although maybe I should just finish the Monkeemobile I started about 5 years ago. :)

Anyway, I'll start getting parts for the Shane PS build as I do want a model of his car and save this thread so when I am ready I have a idea what to do.

On a side note if anyone is interested on a model side job let me know. :D

Edited by Zahadum

Just a pet peeve with me. Resin bodies do NOT need to be soaked in anything overnight. Just wash with warm water and any dishwashing soap. That will get them clean enough for paint. I will scrub the bodies in the warm water and soap solution with coarse ScotchBrite to rough them up for primer. That is all that needs to be done. Very simple. Treat the resin just like a molded kit body and you will be golden.

Mark

Flashpoint makes a 2010 body

http://ecsvr.com/fpm/ShopExd.asp?id=162

The Generation 5 Camaro came 2010 but the body style wasn't approved by NHRA until 2012, so the first NHRA Pro Stock Camaro's were 2012 models.

But as they look basically the same from 2010 to 2013 it doesn't matter that much, the 2014 is changed some tho'

Great advice these guys seem very experienced with resin, but I think its a bit more complicated. When I came back into the hobby last year I built a couple of cars and then had to have the XLR. I still have it and am taking my time with it, but there is more fabricating req'd than a newbie should take on. Brian, I agree that you should follow the advice to put a couple of pro stock kits together, but also maybe a couple of customs in styrene. The knowledge I gained from building those has given me the confidence to go back to work on my XLR Outlaw. Just advice from a fellow newbie.