Model Cars Magazine Forum

9 Inch Slicks--What Are They Good For?

Snake45

Just got the AMT Parts Pack pie crust and Goodyear Blue Streak slicks sets. Was a bit disappointed to see that they're identical in diameter and width to the old solid M&Hs we've been using for years. I thought they'd be a little wider.

So what can we use these for? Super Stocks, Modified Productions, and Gassers, obviously. (And of course rods and street freaks.) I think they can squeak by on FXers and first-gen (AWB) funny cars, too. (At least on those the width is sorta hidden inside the body.)

But I'm wondering about Altereds and dragsters. Are they wide enough for an AA/A of say 1964 to 1966? How about a junior fueler (injected small block Chevy) of the same time frame?

What are y'all using these tires for?

Well, actually if building 100% correct Stock or Super Stock Drag Car from the Early '60s, those tires wouldn't be legal. Cheater Slicks were allowed but they could not be larger than 7 inches and they had to have at least two thread strips on them. Many of those slicks did grew to 7½ inches after a few runs, so some of the drivers had to lift up the rear end on jack stands, put the 1st gear in so that the wheels are turning and use a file to file the tire back to 7 inches.

In 1967 when Super Stock was first time it's own category with 10 classes from SS/A to SS/EA, they were allowed to run with any tire that could fit inside the stock wheelwells. But still Stockers had to run with the 7" tire with those two thread strips. I can't remember when the Stockers were allowed to start using 9" slicks, though.

In Factory Experimental classes, Drag Slicks were allowed if they did fit inside the original and unmodified rear wheel wells and they could not exeed 10 inches.

But honestly speaking, those are minimal things that doesn't matter that much. Even I have built old Stockers and Super Stockers with 9" Slicks because I think it's a really small mistake. But if you're going for 100% accuracy, then you might want to buy correct Slicks from Speed City Resins.

7InchCheaterRubberSlicks.jpg

Well, actually if building 100% correct Stock or Super Stock Drag Car from the Early '60s, those tires wouldn't be legal. Cheater Slicks were allowed but they could not be larger than 7 inches and they had to have at least two thread strips on them. Many of those slicks did grew to 7½ inches after a few runs, so some of the drivers had to lift up the rear end on jack stands, put the 1st gear in so that the wheels are turning and use a file to file the tire back to 7 inches.

In 1967 when Super Stock was first time it's own category with 10 classes from SS/A to SS/EA, they were allowed to run with any tire that could fit inside the stock wheelwells. But still Stockers had to run with the 7" tire with those two thread strips. I can't remember when the Stockers were allowed to start using 9" slicks, though.

But honestly speaking, those are minimal things that doesn't matter that much. Even I have built old Stockers and Super Stockers with 9" Slicks because I think it's a really small mistake. But if you're going for 100% accuracy, then you might want to buy correct Slicks from Speed City Resins.

I never said anything about Stock classes. These tires are obviously too wide for 7" cheaters for Stock.

I'm interested in, are they too narrow for Altered and maybe some of the Comps and Dragsters?

I never said anything about Stock classes. These tires are obviously too wide for 7" cheaters for Stock.

I'm interested in, are they too narrow for Altered and maybe some of the Comps and Dragsters?

Whoops, you're correct. :D

Though, Super Stock was part of the Stock category until 1967, so for any of those cars the 9 inch slicks are not correct. After that they'll work fine as you said.

I think those can be used in Dragsters and Altereds as well. In my Fiat 500 Altered I have 9" slicks and to me they look pretty good. Though I'm going to replace these in the picture with a pair of Cheater Slicks....

DSCN4025_zps7730b071.jpg

Reason I asked is, I'd like to use them on a T altered I hope to build using all AMT Parts Packs parts (except the front tires). It'll be intended for sometime in the 1964-66 timeframe. Just wondering if they're wide enough for that.

Gonna use another pair on another T altered based on the Parts body and the Double Dragster frame. This one would be a little earlier, say '62 to '65. I think they'll be wide enough for that.

One pair will go on a Tweety Pie, prolly the ones with the red and white stripes.

Last set might go on a street T bucket, too. Not sure about that one yet.

That's the pie crusts. The Blue Streaks, I've got all kinds of /MP, Gasser, and FX builds (mid to late '60s) in the works those will work great for.

I think for mid 60's you could get away with it.

I just looked at some pics I have as reference material, and it seems those slicks were on injected Fiats and Anglia Gassers. I'm not too interested in other Gasser models, so I don't know.

I don't have many pics of earlier altereds either. Bottom line, I think they'll work.

Michael

Nine inch slicks are the perfect size for Injected altereds and dragsters. Gas cars would run a two speed transmission and the fuel cars would run direct drive. These kind of cars needed some tire slippage to get going off the line so they could run a taller gear ratio. Of couse this is sixties technolgy, that does not apply to modern day dragsters.

Why can't you use the front tires from the Gasser tire and wheel set to keep it all AMT parts packs?

I don't have that, and being laid off at the moment, don't have 8 or 9 or 12 bucks or whatever to put into front tires on this little happy-fun project. I'll be using genuine '60s AMT Firestone Supremes, though, to keep it retro. B)