Model Cars Magazine Forum

CHARLIE ALLEN Dart F/C - Hobby Room Construction - Update 7/14/15

Nitrozilla

Been pretty busy the last couple of days. Hope you missed me. If not :P:D

I've been making final adjustments to the new tin work in the rear and had to make some minor adjustments to the frame, but it fits beautifully now. Pics the next time on that when I do the permanent install with the roll cage. Getting close.........

In the meantime, I made a chute release by wrapping red wire, (by sheer coincidence it's Radio Shack wrapping wire), around a piece of rectangular stock. Pushed it together tightly, hit top and bottom with CA, then added a piece of wire insulation.

Just like me. Cheap and easy and it looks great. Well, 2 outa 3 ain't bad.

Enjoy the pics and as always, Thanx 4 Looking.

00127.jpg00128.jpg00129.jpg

Just poking my head in to say Hi. I'm done with final fitment tweeks on the tinwork / bodywork and stance. Had to do some major shaving of the tin where it meets the front of the rollcage.

I'm tied up tomorrow so I should have another update Saturday after I install the cockpit and rollcage. I hope to get the tanks and oil filters on too. After that, it's all about the plumbing.

I also need to hit the body with putty on the rear spoiler, then it'll be ready for paint. WooHoo!!!

Well, it's been an interesting weekend. Spent most of Saturday pondering on the fuel supply at the blower hat. Made 2 fuel distribution blocks that were way too small. Hope the one I have now isn't too big. Another slow down was final fit of the tinwork to the chassis. It clears the rollcage by a coat of paint.

Managed to get the rollcage done and cockpit done. Next it needs wiring from the gauge cluster, hook up the throttle linkage and plumbing to the master cylinder.

On a personal note, I'm finally making progress with the VA on my back problems. I'm still not where I need to be, but at least I'm no longer worried about my month-to-month existence. If there are any vets who are having problems on disability appeals, talk to your local Congressperson's office.

Happy Veteran's Day to all who served both overseas and at home and to the families who make that happen.

00130.jpg00131.jpg00132.jpg00133.jpg00134.jpg

Working on the throttle assemblage today with good results.

I finally decided how to do the butterfly rod. I took a piece of solder, then using flat nose pliers, squished the center leaving the ends round for the linkage to slip onto. I had planned on using PE throttle linkage, but the holes are less than a hair in diameter and don't behave well when drilled into. I also made some return springs.

The fun part was making the fuel valve. I went with hex rod instead of round tube even though it meant drilling out the ends. It oughta look sweet in clear red.

My best guess for frame completion is 2 to 3 days.

See ya. Enjoy the pics.

00140.jpg00141.jpg00142.jpg

Edited by Nitrozilla

Couldn't sit still tonite, so I finished up the Blower Hat / Injector Lines / Fuel Distribution / Throttle Linkage / Return Spring Assembly. Also added some brass bolt heads. Still needs touchup paint on the rod where the right spring is attached.

I installed spring loops / retainers at the back of each head. Right now everything is just sitting there, ready for sticky stuff and the linkage from the pedal to the throttle, which I have already made.

I'm pretty stoked about now.........

Enjoy and Thanx For Looking

00144.jpg00143.jpg00148.jpg00147.jpg00146.jpg00145.jpg

Edited by Nitrozilla

Thanks for the nice words Dale. It's appreciated. I love your avatar.

I think David Gilmour said it best. "Take a breath, Take a deep breath....". BTW, that's THE David Gilmour, not our Psychographic.

Hi David :D

The reason for deep breathing exercises? As I did the final tinwork fit with the loaded blower hat I discovered the kit designers never calculated the width and height required for a fully linked system. Actually, it's my fault. I wanted it "beefy looking" and now I'm paying the price.

It's all good, just had to make a new doghouse. I started by making a template of the original, then made a slightly larger version.That's what I get for making a prediction on frame completion. LOL. I should know better. I'm just overly anxious to start on the body and paint.

Thanx for looking.

00149.jpg00150.jpg00151.jpg

Edited by Nitrozilla

Hi Folk. Still dealing with fitment issues between the tinwork and the frame. The frame has decided to shift to the right (left in the picture) and refuses to center itself. Part of the problem was (still) the blower doghouse. I had to do some cut outs at the front to clear the blower linkage, but that only partially solved the problem. The rollcage was still hitting the firewall by just a centimeter and that is also fixed.

I believe the problem now lies where the firewall contacts the front of the cockpit. It's the only area I can't see right, even with a flashlight. So anyway, after I do some running around today, I'll get back on that.

It's kinda funny and cool at the same time, but since I added the fuel block to the back of the blower hat, it sits further forward than originally thought. Funny because if I had seen that coming, I wouldn't have had to move the engine so far forward. Cool because now I have no choice but to do a windshield cut out and now it looks more awesomer with the hat sticking out like that. I also need to trim the front bottom of the windshield frame to clear it.

On the bright side, I'm loving where the rollcage comes out of the back window.

Enjoy the pics.

00152.jpg00153.jpg00154.jpg00155.jpg

Edited by Nitrozilla

Hi Guys !! Thanx for checking in.

It's been The Week From Hell That Won't Go Away. And that's caused it's fair share of depression. I found out that my VA Disability rating is jumping from 30% to 80%, but it will still be months before I see a desperately needed dime of it. I even started an account on GoFundMe, but have had no responses in 48 hours. At any rate, I plan on getting some work done on it tonite and hope to have pics soon.

The chassis only needs fuel and water lines, headers and touch up. I hope to get to the body this weekend.

Everybody enjoy the upcoming holidays.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanx Darryl, I'm finally back at it.

And a Thank You to Everyone for your patience. I'm a little retentive about how often I post. I shoot for every other day and I feel bad when I go missing.

So, Headers, right? Right. Again this is not the norm for building headers when the center pipes are larger than the main and outlet tips. I had to work with materials on hand.

After trimming the mains down, I made the center tubes. After a careful measurement I numbered them to avoid mix ups as they are all slightly different. I made a jig to ensure all tips were the same angle before trimming to length. You'll notice the picture without the tips, how the tubes are all caddy wompus? After rigging a clamp, (plastic stock and tape), I glued the tips in place. My hope is they'll stay straight. If not, I'll do some braces.

Time for final chassis touch-up, then on to the body paint.

Thanx for looking.

00167.jpg00168.jpg00169.jpg00170.jpg00171.jpg00172.jpg

Thank you Stan, I appreciate it.

Sorry for yet another delay, but this time it's good news. My fight with the VA is over and I am a very happy camper. I've spent the whole weekend getting things I've put off for a long time. You can't believe how relieved I am. I'm still busy Monday and Tuesday, but should be back in the saddle very soon.

Thank You All for your patience and for following along.

Nice work Joe, the colors you have used and the way you have used them is very pleasing and effective. Makes for a very clean, sharp visual. I try to do similar things with my builds, sometimes it works out! I think it's partly an intuitive thing.

Edited by Speedfreak

Nice work Joe, the colors you have used and the way you have used them is very pleasing and effective. Makes for a very clean, sharp visual. I try to do similar things with my builds, sometimes it works out! I think it's partly an intuitive thing.

I couldn't agree more Gene. I'm a big fan of the monochromatic look on a model. It gives the color a theme and purpose as long as you throw in enuff complimentary / contrasting colors. That's why the block and heads are black, while all else is not. Intuition and color sense are a must or your build is a bust. Thanks for noticing.

As far as progress on the model, um, yeah, that hasn't happened yet. The holidays actually have meaning for me this year and I'm taking full advantage of it. I'm doing the friends and family thing which will keep me off of the desk until next week some time.

I wish everyone the happiest times this holiday season has to offer.

P. S. After this the Deora Hauler is next. After that, I'm entertaining suggestions for a 1/16 body and decal combo to go with the Hawaiian chassis I finished. Drop all suggestions here along with who carries what for parts and we'll go from there.

P. P. S. It doesn't have to be a MOPAR (gasp) body. The important part already is.

Edited by Nitrozilla

The Zilla Has Landed !!!!!!!!!!

I have just returned from a Holiday Vacay, and I couldn't be in a better place mentally than I have been in years. It was a Wonder Full week with my daughter and her incredible husband, not to mention, The GrandBratz !!!!!!! Aaaaaaaahh !!! Run Away. Run Very Far Away. I love 'em all to bitz.

I'll need a day of rest and reorganization that may involve some football and mind altering substances.

BTW, I got another Junior Modeler Styrene Addict hooked. My youngest GrandBrat, Ricky, first built a PL Ohio George 33 Willys snap kit a year ago that I had sent him for a birthday. He did a great job for a first model and he proudly showed it to me when I arrived. It only needed minor corrections, but we decided to disassemble it and paint it. We got a 3 day modeling & bonding session in that I will remember for the rest of my life.

During a paint and supply run to Michael's, I told him to pick the model of his choice, maintaining a snap kit, and he chose a Revell Enzo Ferrari. Then he really blew me away. He plays one of those XBox car chase games and he showed me he wanted a spoiler on it. I told him to go through the parts to see if anything resembled a spoiler. There is a piece that has 2 side scoops connected to a piece that snaps onto the chassis that would be perfect. I had him shave the snap pins so the part wouldn't stay in. Then tape it in place. Next, scribe where the scoops will be, then cut them from the connector and glue them in place. Then 2 corner sprue pieces will be the mounts to be drilled into the trunk.

He doesn't think outside the box. He doesn't believe the box exists.

I hope everyone had a great Christmas, Hanukkah, Holiday of Your Choice and WATCH OUT NEW YEAR !!!!!!! HERE I COME !!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Back again with an update.

I think y'all will like the direction this is going in. In my case, that means I've gone Full Blown StupidNutz. When a build nears completion, I start thinking about how it will be displayed. To be blunt, that means when the car is done, I'll be starting a new post about the Transporter. Due to it's unusual nature, it will need a support van as there's no room for tools and parts.

Today, I recieved a shipment from Jack's Model Roundup and now have that support van. It's the Jimmy Flintstone A100 van. I'll get a Little Red Wagon for the chassis and interior. (Somebody, Anybody tell me that will work.)

I also got some other stuff I wanted and I'm off to the races. Below, you will find pics of the stuff I got in the mail today and the future transporter. I have every intention of getting more work done on the car this weekend.

Super Extra Thanx to Codi (Tim) for your recommendation of the Loctite.

Also, the Deora will have a ramp, not an enclosed one like the pic. Illustration purposes only. lol

002-2.jpg2007-01-31001.jpg2007-03-17001.jpg