Model Cars Magazine Forum

CHARLIE ALLEN Dart F/C - Hobby Room Construction - Update 7/14/15

Nitrozilla

Thanks Stephen. Glad you like it :)

Dan, thank you too. I'm having a great time now that I'm back on it.

Gene, My Man. No safety issues here. There is a dryer vent tube that easily snakes out my patio window. It even has a narrow exit so the door can be closed to within 2 inches. We can both breathe easy.

DARRYL !!!!!!!!! Thanks for peeking in. My bad on the workplace. I'll mess it up a little before the next update.

And that will be very soon, as I have the silver applied. I'm giving it plenty of time to dry before I mask and shoot the red on the hood, roof and trunk. The sides will be decals.

I'm also going to try an experimental technique to give the underbody / innerbody a fiberglass look using a dry brushing sponge. No sweat if it doesn't come out right. I'll just paint it over with a real brush.

It's close to being completed, although I still need to make the braces under the hood. Walk in the park.

Pics soon.

Finally got to do some paint. I shot 4 coats of Tamiya TS-76 Mica Silver and she'll soon be dry enough to mask for the red.

I also got the windshield shaped and fit. I need to bevel the inside edges so it will lay down a little lower. The windshield trim will hide the beveling, plus it gives me a rough surface to glue to the frame. I'll use Model Master Clear Parts Cement.

The first pic is for Darryl. Not so neat now, huh? ;)

DSC01911.jpgDSC01912.jpgDSC01913.jpgDSC01915.jpgDSC01916.jpg

Hey Gene. I painted the body on the outside and the inside, but I did it all outside. See what I did there?

I like the silver too. Once I shoot the red, it will really pop. It took a couple of hours to get the windshield right and it will look better when it gets even more snuggerier.

Great job laying down the silver. Looking forward to seeing the red.

Also a heads up I saw this thread on an issue with the tamiya paint stand and wanted to make you aware of it. http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=93530&page=2#entry1369390

Looking forward to seeing more.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=93530&page=2#entry1369390

Edited by bobthehobbyguy

Thanks for the link and the heads up Bob. You got me thinking about fixes, so I just took a good hard look at it and the first thing I did is drill a "relief hole" in the top of the base. It is possible that air trapped inside the connection might be the culprit. If it's assembled in a cool room it's already under pressure, then hotter outside air may cause it to expand and "pop" the top.

My connection is pretty tight and I'm very happy with it so far. Another fix I did is put large head screws in the four wire mounting pins so the wire doesn't pop off when I'm pushing them together to mount a body. I'll repost this on that thread.

DSC01918.jpg

I'm thrilled to announce that shooting the second color was a complete success. There's some touch up done that doesn't stand up to close scrutiny yet. The whole thing needs to be sanded and polished before decal application. However, that didn't stop me from cutting out one side decal and leaning it up against the body to get a glimpse of things to come.

Although the 3m Edge Lock tape did give a nice clean line, it only did so where it would stick. The tack is too low and does not stay down well. It required repeated burnishing.

Slow but steady wins the race from this point on.

DSC01919.jpgDSC01920.jpgDSC01921.jpgDSC01923.jpgDSC01924.jpg

Thank you Vince. I thought that pic with the decal might raise an eyebrow or two.

Gene, I'm thrilled with the red too man.

BROTHER MAN JOHN!!!!!!! Yes, it will be ready for DSC. Oh wait, you said 2015? That's this year, right? I dunno.....

Yes, it will be ready. The question is, will the transporter be ready?

I bought some Chartpak gold pinstripe in 1/64 for the top separation lines, but it might be too shiny compared to the stripes on the decals. Anybody know how to give it a "brushed gold" look?

There have been a few delays lately. I buffed the pinstriping before applying it and it looked fine. Unfortunately, it's coming off in favor of 1/32. Why? I was trying to match the decal stripes, but I'm not sure I'll be using them. The first one broke coming off the sheet. Next I sprayed a second one with Tamiya clear and it destroyed everything red on the sheet.

I have spayed a clear decal sheet with red paint and I will probably use that by cutting out templates for the red panels. This will allow me to use the wider pinstripe on the whole car.

I'm going out to hunt down a clear that won't distort the finish it's being applied to. I've also ordered 3 more decal sheets from Slixx.

Hopefully, I'll have something positive to report this weekend.

Thanx for the good thoughts Gene and Mike.

Vince, I looked on ePay and there are none at the moment. I got some decals from Billy's daughter recently and they were great. Guess I might need to email her.

Also, you made a cute boo-boo. It's Gooche, not Goochie. ;)

Today I'm going to cut out some templates in the red decal sheet I made. Looks like I need to make a couple of corrections first because the front is shaped wrong and the top of the back slopes down. Sigh.

Edited by Nitrozilla

Here goes nothing. And then some.

Total decal failure on attempting to use sheet panels. They curled up like a hot dog bun and no amount of decal set was going to change that. I have had this type of decal paper do this to me on smaller items, but managed to get them to lie down. Soooooooooo............

Now I've painted the whole body red and will give it some time to cure before I mask for the silver. I also got some 1/32" gold pinstripe. Now that I am going to do the whole car, might as well be bright. I won't go for the "brushed" look. Since I'll be watching the paint dry on the body, I thought I'd get something constructive done.

Next is a test to see how long you have been a member of this board. I brought out the hauler to test some set ups. Anybody remember the stretch Deora? I believe I'll put a spoiler in front of the spare tires.

Any thought would be fine.

Enjoy the pics.

DSC01932.jpgDSC01933.jpgDSC01934.jpgDSC01939.jpg