Model Cars Magazine Forum

CHARLIE ALLEN Dart F/C - Hobby Room Construction - Update 7/14/15

Nitrozilla

Joe, Looks like you've got yourself an ambitious project going now for sure! Is the Charlie Allen car going to be red?

I just got the Chezooom kit two days ago as a back-up for parts for an original AMT 'Hemi Hustler' Barracuda I'm restoring, you can check out. The Chezooom is actually a 'Hemi (it's not a 427) Hustler' chassis/engine/wheels/tires with a '69 Corvair body and wheelie bars. You'll also notice that the chrome parts tree(s) still have tail lights for a '66 Barracuda on them! Those ever industrious Kats from AMT. Still a cool kit though.

Thanks Gene. Yes, the Charlie Allen Dart will be the red version. I've got 3 sets of decals to do the car, the transporter and the van. How's that for ambitious? Although I haven't commented yet, I'm watching your Purple Powerfest closely. You've made great progress so far on such a far gone subject.

As far as the Chezoom's go, one will be a funny car, one will be a wheelstander, neither will be a Corvair. I might get to them before the end of the year. lol

Thanks Joe, you should check out the body for the Barracuda if you already haven't, it's amazing the transformation.

Yes, you've got you're work cut out for you, but , what a grand display it will be completed!

What are the Chezooom's going to be if not Corvairs?

I'll be watching.

Edited by Speedfreak

It's been a weekend of progress and frustration.

GOOD STUFF: All wiring, plumbing, etc is done.

NOT SO GOOD STUFF: Still need to correct main drag link (long steering arm to spindle). You'll notice the short rod I had to cut. A metal tube will fill the space. Ready for final touch up and header installation.

You will recall I've had my fair share of fitment problems mating the tinwork to the frame. More chopping is still required to get the left side to come down a taste and then finally square up the frame, as it sits a little askew to the left. With the front tires on, the left hits the inside of the fenderwell and the right has a gap. I only need a quarter inch to fix it.

Rain is forecast for the next couple of days, then I'll get some primer on the body.

Thanx to everyone who is following and putting up with my delays.

0167.jpg0168.jpg0169.jpg0170.jpg0171.jpg

WoooooHooooo !!!!!

IT'S ALIVE ! I got all of the fit bugs worked out. Now, the pics I'm posting show the stance is exactly the same as my Fave Pic of the car at Irwindale Raceway, aka, my old stomping grounds. I'll post that pic for you to compare, keeping in mind I still need to paint before attaching the front and rear grills, bumpers, etc.

The only difference I can spot is the rollcage on the real car is taller. (I am NOT changing that!)

Let me know what you think.

P. S. Carl, thanks for noticing. :D Gene, thanks for changing your Avatar. That last one was freakin' me out man. :huh::wacko:

rsquo68_CharlieAllen_Irwindale_dart_zps70176.jpg0172.jpg0173.jpg0174.jpg0175.jpg

Edited by Nitrozilla

Thanks Buzz, it took enuff work.

Yeah Gene, it's got those taller Parts Pack fatties that complete the look for me.

Well folks, the weather is still not to my liking for paint, so I did the next best thing. Finally got an airbrush and compressor. Also ordered a desk and chair to set it up on. Also picked up a LRW to use for the Flintstone A100 van body.

I'm tied up tomorrow, but still hope to have the body in primer this weekend. That's the plan.

002-3.jpg

Thank you Robert, I'm a big fan of the monochromatic look myself. For starters, it helps make the details pop.

I could have sworn there was a post concerning the firing order, but it seems to have disappeared. I try to respond to all questions so I apologize to the poster.

Status Report: I have been up to my neck in STUFF, literally. The VA resolved my disability case after 5 years and I'm playing catch up after living on the edge of poverty for all that time. I'm in the process of putting an airbrush station together using a desk w/ hutch and it's fighting me the whole way.

Another delay is getting ready to attend the NNL in San Jose on the 31st. Got my room and flight set, now I have to prep my entries. I hope to bring the Flying Dutchman and the Mazmanian AWB Chrysler 300. I also hope to meet as many of you as I can. Just look for the overweight bald guy with glasses and long hair. Need more? I'll be wearing a yellow Testors ball cap. I might make a name badge, not sure.

That's it for now. I hope to have the airbrush up and running before the end of the week.

Edited by Nitrozilla

• 3 weeks later...

It's official !! I'm almost ready to pick this Bad Boy back up. I've been a bundle of energy ready to explodicate and urgently want to improve on my skills, ever since the NNL West. There have been too ding dang many personal projects that have held sway at the top of my To-Do list. For instance, I just finished installing two LED light bars over my workspace. Shiney!!

The plan is to finish up the airbrush desk, which was sooooo bad I had to pay someone to assemble it. Caution, Office Depot makes their own line of desks. Get a Sauder if you can. At any rate, I want the body in primer and all of the frame touch-up done this weekend.

Thank you for your patience as I go through this literal change of life.

As a reward, I am including a picture of my new X-Acto knife holder:

004.jpg005-1.jpg

Actually got work done today on scribing the panel lines. Way, way back in the olden days they were required.

If I had left them alone, if not after primer and paint, they certainly would disappear when the decals went on. This was done the old fashioned way using the back of a dull X-Xcto blade. I'm certain they'll need adjustment after the first coat of primer, so that's okay.

As you can see in the pic of the front underbody, I had to be uber careful not to separate any pieces from the body.

The hood badges were removed from the sides of the bulges. There's a decal for that.

Tomorrow morning I'll putty the rear spoiler, then hopefully primer in the afternoon.

001-3.jpg003-2.jpg004-1.jpg

Yesterday, during a spring cleaning flurry that came out of nowhere, I managed to shoot some primer. I see about 7 spots that need cleanup, otherwise, I'm a happy guy. The panel lines are just what I thought they would be. A perfect groove for paint seperation, but I'm going to need decal solvent to tuck the side graphics into those door panels. Oughta be fun.

Also took a few shots of my new airbrush station w/ Badger compressor, Paasche H series siphon single action airbrush and a spray booth from Micro Mark.

Even though I temporarily live in an apartment, for you safety afficianado's, the booth is vented to my patio and I will only do small parts using acrylics. All else, like the body, is still done outside.

Enjoy the pics and thanks for looking.

001-4.jpg002-4.jpg003-3.jpg004-2.jpg005-2.jpg006-1.jpg