Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Alcoa 10 hole split rims & some other parts

So in my spare time at the shop I decided to try to make a better Alcoa rim for the 1/16 trucks. I recently grabbed a few of the Petes and realized that theres virtually no aftermarket in this scale. I strongly dislike the wheels in the kit, so Im doing something about it. I started with some 1.5 Alum round stock and got to it. This is the start of the rough shape before I radiused it with a file.If you notice the shiney line on the outer diameter, thats how far back Im going to bring the radius.

2C07D9B5-9A28-499E-AC12-3FFCEFCDB60C_zps

After shaping, parting it off, and hogging out the back this is the end of the lathe work.

0F672D77-1539-42C1-AE6A-8101828AD2E1_zps

2D289600-1F88-4248-A8E8-8CBD6BAA75D4_zps

Next, I set my mini rotary table up in the Bridgeport and set up to mill the 20 holes.

3BF427FA-BD0D-41D7-BE97-C9B71EA5E901_zps

B1AE9D66-74D6-4F5A-80B6-6289AED7562A_zps

68171EA6-FFFF-4902-8EC1-8186107BB903_zps

51B4CCAD-7029-440A-9003-5C4B1A27DEBD_zps

Next, I made the outer rings. I chose to go with the split rim because Im all about the old school.

27637B79-0A1B-47D4-9FC4-907FE70B4DD5_zps

D9CAE40F-FB1F-4180-8225-F03069E03319_zps

This will be a master to resin cast. I dont like the kit tires either, so Im going to try a set of tires from the All American Toy Co.

Edited by Superpeterbilt

I miss the days of creating things from a raw chunk of material. These look great Terry. I might just have to build a 1/16 pete if you make these available to public.

Thats what Im shooting for. Im going to make some 5 holes as well. Im going to back date a cab to a little window, and Im planning on casting that as well. Where Im going to find the time, I do not know.

Looks really nice. You're right, there really isn't much in the way of aftermarket parts for thw 1/16 kits. I'd like to swap out the 3408 for a Cummins NTC-series & the long hood on the KW for a standard hood.

Yes, someone definitely needs to scratchbuild a 1:16 Cummins. Do we have any volunteers?

There was strong after market for thes kits years ago in Australia maybe Auslowe don't remeber but there was an 8v92 detroit spoke wheels roo bars etc

Used to be jaymar. He also did a peterbilt 362 cab over, kw s2, kw sar, right and drive dashes,a variety of spoke wheels, cummins, and a 3406 cat.

Ben

That is a beautiful truck my friend. Im going to make a 351 myself. Great job

Thanks! Not to hijack this thread but I made that 1/16 351 ten years ago or so, based on a 1:1. I made this one, and many other 1/16 rigs, about 10 or 12 years ago for a guy on the east coast. I discovered last year that he posted pics of most of them on Flickr claiming that he built them. It's not a good feeling when you put a lot of work into a group of models for someone only to have them tell the world that he did the work. :(

Edited by Mike77

Thanks! Not to hijack this thread but I made that 1/16 351 ten years ago or so, based on a 1:1. I made this one, and many other 1/16 rigs, about 10 or 12 years ago for a guy on the east coast. I discovered last year that he posted pics of most of them on Flickr claiming that he built them. It's not a good feeling when you put a lot of work into a group of models for someone only to have them tell the world that he did the work. :(

Thats sad that same thing has happened to me, just not with models. Ive bad people claim credit for work that Ive done. Ive learned to look at it like this, be flattered, because the best they can achieve is taking credit for what comes easily to you.

I guess thats part of the reason i try not to build for anyone. If i do,, its kinda messed up, but i dont do the job that i would do on 1 if it were gonna be on my shelf. I dont just slap it together sittin crooked or my finger prints on glue all over the windshield. I just dont put the care into it like i normally would, like the revell snap pete i built in 6 hours or the this red freightliner COE that ill be posting pics of once i get the BMF done.

Back on topic... I am looking to get a 1/16 pete. The kit rims really are what kept me from wanting 1. I could much more detail and better paint work since its a bigger "canvas", if i can find 1 at a decent i may just get it, and wait for these wheels to be available.

There was strong after market for thes kits years ago in Australia maybe Auslowe don't remeber but there was an 8v92 detroit spoke wheels roo bars etc

Auslowe still does 1/16 right hand drive dashes, aluminium fuel tanks with mounting brackets, and bull/roo bars.

Ben

• 3 months later...

Ive been working on a bunch of other parts to accompany the rims. Tires, brake drums, brake shoes, 6 spoke front and rear wheels, and hubs. The plan is for the hubs to be tapped to recieve scale hardware bolts and acorn nuts. Im also about 80% done backdating a Pete cab to a Unilite little window. I will also be working on a 351 conversion, and walking beam rear suspension. Heres some of the work Ive done.

4A22BA56-3395-45B2-BE04-7F68DE5E0D07_zps

51FC8CC8-8D0D-4CED-9580-CDA92A122E82_zps

30E40282-45B8-4E3D-9F4D-41D7E40D7497_zps

60E7D3A3-F77A-46E4-8AF2-E0202B7E06ED_zps

Oh my that is nice :wub: What do you think the rims and tyres will run at for 10 for a rig?

Im not that far along yet, but I promise to keep it very reasonable. I dont really do this to make money, I just make this stuff for myself and share it with others. The 1/16 kits are already so expensive, I dont want to add a lot more cost on top of it. As always I will be open to trades for them and things like that. When I get all the parts made and actually start casting, Ill have a better idea what my cost will be.

Looks like you've been busy after hours. It's nice to have the proper tools available to use. Nice work man.

Thanks Buddy, as long my CNCs are running, and Im not welding, and Im not QC'ing, and Im not buffing, I can grab a few min on the manual lathe and make this stuff like a 19th century blacksmith.