Model Cars Magazine Forum

New member from the UK

Good evening all,

I'm a returnee of sorts. My main modelling interest for the last 30 or so years has been railways but back in the 1960s and early 1970s I built scores of car kits, all of which were modded in some fashion.

Mainly they were 1/32 scale Airfix, Minis, Sunbeam Rapiers, Triumph Heralds and the like, which ended up in race, rally or street trim. There were plenty of others though, as I have long had a fascination for hot rods and American iron of most sorts. Back then, it was mainly Monogram, Revell, AMT, MPC, I worked on. There was such a variety and they were affordable and readily available. I have been amazed by the builds I see here and the high standards shown. Not sure if I'm up to most of you yet!

Something else I've found, is the wide variety of aftermarket parts like wheels, tyres, tc, plus the etched and resin stuff. I've been used to that on the railway side but there is so much more for cars.

Since deciding I'd like to revisit some of the kits I build in the past, I've been stumped but the lack of a decent kit retailer here in the UK. Yes, I can get the stuff on line from the US but the shipping and customs charges makes everything so much more pricey. Anyone know where I can get Monogram/Revell, etc kits here in the UK?

Will get round to adding some pjcs when I build something. ;)

Cheers

steve

Welscome to the forum Steve, Im also from the UK and understand exactly what you mean about buying US kits over here.......very difficult, I source most of mine from ebay or through Facebook, however there are a few online retailers in the US where if you order one kit at a time you do not seem to pay any customs charges, the shipping can be a bit pricey they average out at about £22-24 a kit including postage, which still works out cheaper than you would probably pay over here for the same kit.

Drop me a Pm And Ill give you a few websites to look for.

The price of posting kits from the US has gone through the roof over the last 12 months.

I have a friend in Newcastle that sells through ebay, these would all be current Revellogram kits, not old stuff.

Send me a PM and I can put you in touch with him if you're interested

Welcome aboard ....

I usually get all my AMT and Revell-Monogram kits from Burbank house of Hobbies in the U.S, even with the shipping they work out cheaper than buying in the U.K and if you only buy 1 or 2 kits, they seem to get through without any import duty, plus he uses good strong cardboard boxes that don't get messed up in the postal system, a lot of U.K sellers think it's fine to just wrap the model box in bubble wrap and send it through the post like that .....

http://www.houseofhobbies.com/

Edited by GeeBee

hi steve, i'm new to the forum as well. i live on the orkney islands at the top of scotland. i look forward to seeing your builds and sharing tips and advice. i find ebay is not too bad for sourcing kits in the uk and some of the sellers from hong kong seem to have a pretty varied selection of kits.

Dont say where in the UK you are but next weekend at Telford is a big show, often get unusal stuff there, couple of really big sellers who do car kits etc.

As others said shipping from the US is expensive now, and recently i got 5 Linberg Chargers sent over, shipping about the same cost of the kits, then the tax and handling fee....same with 6 Lindberg Crown Vics too.