Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Beetle

Just wondering if the Revell Beetle will fit on the Tamiya 66 chassis. I'm pretty financially embarassed so buying both kits to find out isn't an option. I have a vague idea to build a VW Showroom diorama in the future and since there are so many 60's VW kits out there now i thought it may be time to start collecting. I already have the Revell Split Screen Camper and a Hasegawa pick up is on back order. Also was it Hasegawa who did the Split Crew Cab pick up? I intend to get a few Tamiya beetles as i think the engine is about the best version i have seen. I built both Tamiya beetle and Karmann Ghia more than 10 years ago and feel its about time i built them again and this diorama seems like the perfect setting for them.

If you're getting that many VW kits and even a few Tamiyas just for the engine I'd definitely get one of the new Revells because I feel that are as good as the Tamiya. The engine in the revell is as good as the Tamiya' IMO.

Then maybe you can tell us if the Revell fits on the Tamiya chassis. ;) I have builds of both going but not at a stage I could do a test fit to find out.

Yeah I'm pretty bad at hoarding VW kits. I like most styles of kit but VW's are the cars my dad had when i was growing up so i have loads of VW mags and pics. I'm looking forward to the Revell Germany mk1 Golf kits coming out so I can build an 80's version of the same dealership. I look forward to seeing your models, is there a build thread? Thankyou for your reply, my shopping list would seem to be never ending when it comes to kits. My next build isn't a VW though, its a big mash up of spares and old built kits that have fallen apart, and now I've almost finished my current build I'm getting excited about it. It will have a build thread from the start and may be a bit unusual with its mixed scales and styles but thats the beauty of models i suppose.

Edited by stitchdup

It's good to have another VW nut here .. ))

This is a '53 I had while living in Germany

This '68 came with my wife ..

My Dad's '56 Kombi ... still waiting for a repaint.

This is the '69 I had

You may have noticed I like building cars I've owned. I also move at my own pace and things take years to finish, but I enjoy working on them more than finishing .. ehhe.

Do post this build you're planning here ... :) .. and anything you've finished!

I will do, the VW's just have something about them. I had a 71 Bay window myself but the thing just ate engines. Went through 3 in a year and i ended up getting rid of it. It was a left hand drive canadian import(I'm in the UK) and even though it was such a pain, I still miss it. I see it about occasionally and the new owner has done an amazing restoration. Some day I'll find that elusive Bay Kit at a reasonable price.

Your builds look really good. I like how you have them aged the same as yours and not perfect resto's. To me they have more character than the over restored ones, since each dent and rust spot tells a story about the car and owner. Nothing against perfect nut and bolt restos, just not for me, but custom stuffs cool.

eheh yes .. I like doing weathering like it's been used .. the way all my cars end up looking. As much as I appreciate a beautiful body, I hare wax!

The '53 bug was rolled on it's side three times and we just rolled it back on it's feet .. pulled some fender back out and continued on our way.

why would you want to use revell's body on a Tamiya chassis instead of the Tamiya body? I guess if its a different model or year you need that's understandable but I just don't think you are going to get more accurate than Tamiya and certainly not from Revell.

jb

The Tamiya Beetle is a 1966 version, the Revell is a '68 onwards body, after building both, the Revell version is certainly as good as the Tamiya version, intact the interior of the Revell one s so much better and more realistic than Tamiya's offering

The Revell is a '68? I don't understand why they didn't offer '68 and later US spec bumpers?

Scott

In Europe you could still buy a Beetle with the thinner bumpers until the Super Beetle came out, the Revell monogram version is just a reboxed Revell AG kit.

The Revell is a '68? I don't understand why they didn't offer '68 and later US spec bumpers?

Scott

Probably so you would buy the other VW Beetle kit released at the same time! LOL .. the 1970 Beetle Cabriolet 1970 .. it has the correct bumpers for a U.S. '68.

Probably so you would buy the other VW Beetle kit released at the same time! LOL .. the 1970 Beetle Cabriolet 1970 .. it has the correct bumpers for a U.S. '68.

I'm going to be casting the bumpers, dashboard, engine cover and seats from the convertible kit very soon, in resin, just got to get the bench cleared first

Edited by GeeBee

I'm going to be casting the bumpers, dashboard, engine cover and seats from the convertible kit very soon, in resin, just got to get the bench cleared first

I should do the same to use on the '69 I'm building and then can build the '70 with bumpers! I started it before the two new Revell kits and hey would have greatly lessened my work. Using the '68 body, the tail lights would be the only major bodywork. I wish Revell had cast the tail lights in these kits separate from the body.

I will do, the VW's just have something about them. I had a 71 Bay window myself but the thing just ate engines. Went through 3 in a year and i ended up getting rid of it. It was a left hand drive canadian import(I'm in the UK) and even though it was such a pain, I still miss it. I see it about occasionally and the new owner has done an amazing restoration. Some day I'll find that elusive Bay Kit at a reasonable price.

If you can abide diecast Welly does a nice bay window microbus. We had a '72 when I was a kid and that was the only way I could find the later style.

The Tamiya Beetle is a 1966 version, the Revell is a '68 onwards body, after building both, the Revell version is certainly as good as the Tamiya version, intact the interior of the Revell one s so much better and more realistic than Tamiya's offering

I think your wip was the one I was following. I could actually smell that old VW interior smell while you were doing up the interior. It is very strange how the mind reacts to some things. :)

>I have built both. Have you?

uh no. built the Tamiya karmann ghia with major mods. in general I think anything Revell doesn't hold a candle to anything Tamiya. i have noticed via reviews that this bug is well received as was their classic mini cooper and i have their Trabant universal and am impressed there. but i still have a hard time believing the Revell beetle is actually better than the Tamiya. just out of curiousity, what is your take on what is better about it?

jb

Not saying it is better, just saying it is just as good. Yes, no metal transfers, but the decal for the rear deck and the chrome VW emblem, which is actually fairly delicate, come off just as nice.

have to agree, and I do have both . including the new Revell '70 Cabriolet.