Model Cars Magazine Forum

Building a Golf Cart - How Would You Approach This?

Here is my golf cart that I love like my son:

ultbzYE.jpg

I have been in the thinking stages for a few months of trying to build it in 1:25 but being a novice I'm not sure how I'm going to approach it. There are no kits to my knowledge that can be used as a base, so that leaves me having to pretty much scratch build everything. I can handle the majority of it but building the body still escapes me... it's not very boxy so I would think that Evergreen is out of the question, my next thought is maybe sculpting it in clay and then using that as a mold? I would think that shrinkage of the clay would be an issue with that approach but don't know, have never done it before.

Just curious how you pros would attack this build.....

Actually I think evergreen would work. After you do your plans I would look at breaking each part into simple shapes. What scale are you thinking about?

1:24 or 1:25, I will probably try to secure the wheels and tires first and then build to whichever scale they fit most closely lol!

If I were to build those body panels with Evergreen how would I round off the edges to such a big radius? That's my hangup on that approach... for a golf cart the Yamaha bodies are incredibly curvaceous.

Edited by bigbluesd

I agree with Bob .. use plastic and sand/file to shape. If you can't find thick enough plastic layer it and glue together, Use some good clamps to keep it tight white it dries. The shapes aren't that far off square and the hood just needs thickness to give enough to sand.

Plastic or metal rod will give you the frame for the top. There are plastic sheets available with diamond plate.

Those wheels and tires would throw me. Maybe some kit of small car like a Mini or even a 1/35 scale kit.

For relatively simple rounded shapes, I use an open-cell urethane foam (similar to RenShape, but cheaper and available in small quantities...send me your address and I'll send you some), and sand it to the contour I want.

DSCN6650.jpg

Then I seal it with epoxy, and finish-shape with bondo as necessary.

DSCN7155.jpg

In primer.

DSCN7278.jpg

And on the model, almost finished.

DSCN7608.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The only real problem to me looks like the hood. Figure out what size it should be, grab a small ruler or tape measure, and head to your local drug store/grocery store. Go through the aisle with all the deodorants, potions, lotions, make-up and other stuff, and look for a lid that matches your hood. Heck, check the blister packs, too. The vacuum formed plastic may have something useful. There's bound to be something there you can use. Look in the toy aisle, too. There may be a hot wheels or small scale off road truck that matches your wheels/tires.

Failing that, there's another technique similar to vacuforming called plunge molding. Carve a piece of wood to resemble your hood, heat a piece of plastic, and force it over the wood. Airplane guys use the technique all the time to create canopies and the like.

Once you have the hood and tires, it's all downhill from there. The rest is just creating boxes and rounding edges.

Those wheels and tires would throw me. Maybe some kit of small car like a Mini or even a 1/35 scale kit.

I actually think I already have the wheels... off of a 1:43 Mustang that I built with my son and he long ago grew tired of. Still need to find tires to fit them though. Of course I haven't done the math yet so maybe they are too small.

For relatively simple rounded shapes, I use an open-cell urethane foam (similar to RenShape, but cheaper and available in small quantities...send me your address and I'll send you some), and sand it to the contour I want.

Where do you buy it? Is this like the stuff they use for floral arrangements? That coupled with vacuum forming would appear to be a pretty straightforward method...I really have a hard time envisioning using thick sheets and sanding as a few others have said, they would have to be about a half inch thick it seems in order to work and still have enough surface area in the joint for a decent bond! I don't think the picture I included represents the amount of curvature accurately... the edge on the outside of the headlights is probably about a 8" - 12" radius.

Edited by bigbluesd