Model Cars Magazine Forum

New to the site

Thought I'd take a moment to stop and introduce myself.

My name is Brian Schindler and after a very long hiatus, I have (finally!) returned to the Modeling Hobby. I had been absent since my early 20's with a hit here and there when career, marraige and eventually kids took prescidence.

To fill the void, I became a diecast collector and have dabbled in nearly every aspect of it. I have worked with many of the diecast manufactures in both 1/18th and 1/24th scale and wrote the 1/24th scale diecast columns in both Toy Cars and Models Magazine and the reknownly mis-managed The Car Room Magazine.

One of the few things I've built in recent years was what I titled "Broken Dreams" ...a scratch built diorama that tells the final story of a select few manufactures from the diecast hobby as well as a final depiction of the aforementioned "The Car Room Magazine" aka..."TCRM" discarded into a 1/12th scale Trash Dumpster:

large.jpg

More Pictures are found here

Along the way, I was privledge to meet and become friends with many of the modeling greats like Roger Harney. A remarkable man in many respects as well as a great friend. I just recently learned of Roger's passing earlier this year. I still have the Big T that Roger designed in the 60's. Roger told me that it was the first time he had reverse-engineered a model kit. He had designed the engine as a standalone kit in 1/8th scale and came up with the idea to build a car around the engine. The Big T was born a few weeks later. The powers that be at Revell loved the prototype so much they immediately set forth in bringing the Big T to production.

Bob Johnson was another...formerly one of the Vice Presidents of Revell-Monogram and co-ower of Accurate Minatures. Bob is a true character in many respects.

The other night, I met Harold Bradford of Historic Racing Minatures. I was attempting to see if HRM had a website when I found out that he lives not 15 minutes from me. A quick phone call and a short drive later put me in his basement workshop gazing with amazement over the intricate bits that he casts. His Cheetah kit is gorgeous as are the rest of his products.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...