Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1970 Challenger T/A Rebuild-Under Glass 03-13

mustang1989

well, now that you have a dip stick, you better figure out how to make the oil fil cap removeable :D

looks fantastic B)

Thanks Tom! Not yet on the oil cap. I'm working on installing an operational starter motor! lol

Joe looks like your coming down to the finial assembley part looking forward to see it all together.

Thanks Dan and me too!

Thanks Lee and Wayne! Will be hitting the bench again in another hour or so.

Update at 5:05 a.m. Back from the bench after an hour or so. Got the heater hoses formed up somewhat and made the hose clamps:

Heaterhoses_zpsfc8cb9f6.jpg

Also spread the wire loom openings out a little so my ignition wires would lay in the loom nicely. These I painted with a Sharpie and will dull them up a little with a dry brushing of ground up black pastel to give them a the matte / plastic look.

Ignitionwirelooms_zps12f80e39.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

it is kinda funny in a way, as we all know how freekin small those looms are, but photographed like that, they seem like they would be easy to work with, haha. I go about cross-eyed trying to thread the wires thru them, and heaven forbid I drop one.............

Joe, where are you getting drill bits that small? I need some smaller ones, but no luck finding them local without spending a fortune. I have a pin-vise, but the bits just aren't small enough for some things i'd like to try. thanks for any help on those.

Tom: Thanks man! I build over a computer style desk and pull out the keyboard "drawer" when working with stuff like this. Then it only falls a few inches and not on the floor. It's saved my bacon several times. My optivisor is my friend when working with this stuff.

Tim: That's something similar to what I have.

Thanks Carl! This morning I got up and was thinking to myself, "Now where are those heater hoses gonna go to in the firewall............and how about a blower motor??" This kit is totally void of that kind of detail. As a matter of fact this firewall has NO detail on the firewall. I guess it's the age of the kit. Here's a shot before the mods:

Heaterhoseandblowermotoropenings001_zps8

Here's a blower motor I robbed from the Revell Challenger kit #85-4213. I measured it so I'd get the hole just the right diameter to push it through from the back side.

Heaterhoseandblowermotoropenings004_zps2

Here is the firewall with heater hose and blower motor openings drilled out:

Heaterhoseandblowermotoropenings002_zpse

and the blower motor test fitted from the back side. I still have to thin the firewall out to push it through to expose the blower motor housing accurately and to true it up in the hole.

Heaterhoseandblowermotoropenings003_zps4

Now this firewall isn't going to be as accurate as the real thing but I plan on it being a hekuva lot better than it was thats for sure!

Edited by mustang1989

Thanks Jonathan! I did in fact come up with blower motor and voltage regulator( or at least I think its a voltage regulator up there on the firewall just to the right of the windshield wiper motor) that are on the other Revell kit that I have. I'll be transferring that detail to the existing firewall on this kit. I'll have to mix up some red to come pretty close to the molded body color in the engine compartment.

Firewalldetail_zps95ae1cd5.jpg

Thanks Dan! Well I got up a little late this morning but met today's goal of getting the window motor area and the voltage regulator sanded down and off of the other kit's firewall. Cleaned 'em up for the most part and will me mounting them soon and playing around with matching the original firewall color. I'll probably paint the whole engine compartment over so I can re-do the detail painting.

We start with cutting out the general area here:

Firewalldetailwithwipermotor001_zps5ef5a

Then sanding this down to where the needed items will glue onto the firewall without sticking out a half mile. I switched over to a file set up because it was alot easier.

Firewalldetailwithwipermotor002_zps91abc

After about a half hour of patient and careful sanding here's the result. A voltage regulator and wiper motor assy / area that I can adhere right on to the firewall.

Firewalldetailwithwipermotor003_zps5fba4

Now for the paint........................................