Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Dodge Dart Hemi.

Yo Jutt

Well time for an update. This is my first time doing this much of anything. Usually I build box stock and add wheels or something like that. I thought I'd cut out the wheel wells like the prostock option suggests... But I hated the look. Then I had problems with the hood closing. And to top it off I lost the drive shaft. This model was about to stay in the box for spare parts... I decided to save it after taking a break from looking at it. I bought another kit and used the drive shaft and the body. So tonight was spent fixing the hood issue and painted the body. Now that I'm feeling better about this model things should keep on rolling. Here are a few pics. Also bumpers will be stripped and painted body Color.

Alright back to having fun with this again!! So I painted the bumpers body Color and didn't look right. So I went gloss black and love it! I just can't decide what to do on the grill these are my two options. Keep in mind there will be no BMF on this one. Trim painted gloss black. One day I may look back and think what was I thinking. But for now this build I'm thinking little to no Chrome. Thanks for lookin guys!

post-14733-0-83796200-1429340047_thumb.j

post-14733-0-04876300-1429340103_thumb.j

post-14733-0-00556900-1429340389_thumb.j

post-14733-0-62717600-1429340423_thumb.j

Now guys! Please critique the heck out of this car!! I know it's far from a show piece. I tried to do a few things Id never done with this car. Lowered the front and rear a little bit. Added a little more engine detail than I'm normally used to. So I thought I'd learn to do it on one car. Rather than a few at a time. Again thanks for lookin.

You did a fine job. Kudos for not giving up on the project; it says alot about you that you kept coming back to it to make it look the way you envisioned. As for the finished project, taste is personal of course, but your execution is very clean and professional. Great build!

Personally, I love the look you've gotten here; very aggressive rod. It looks like a 1980s period piece, that's the way we were building street cars then. It was cool to black out the chrome, if not remove it. it was considered a very "European" look.

Thanks Rusty!! Thanks so much for the kind words. I'm glad you like it. The hardest part was the windshield. The last couple actually I recall I had a problem. I'll have to look into a good tip to not getting glue all over the place when I install them.

Yes the plug wires, I was waiting for someone to point that out.... It was all I had on hand, and I was more concerned on skill building with what I had on hand. Without ordering wire online is there a good source to get it from? And what gauge do I look for?

I like it, nicely done. Very clean work overall, good looking paint work and all parts fit very nicely on place. I like your color choice as well, and even though I'm not a fan of non-chromed bumpers I think they look surprisingly good on this. They give it a mean look and it fits to this car very well.

My only critique was those spark plug wires, but it was pointed out already. Anyway if you end up buying aftermarket stuff for them, I recommend Scale Dreams' wires as they've worked very well on my builds.

Very nice Dart overall.

Edited by W-409

I'll add my icon_smile_2cents.gif to say that overall she's a beauty!! As far as plug wires go, and this is to add to what Niko recommended, Lex's Scale Modeling great wire available in all kinds of colors.

Here's a link for you for next time: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Spark-Plug-Wire-in-Blue-1-24-1-25-Models-3FT-/120772775997?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1e9e503d

Again, great build overall Justin!!

Edited by mustang1989

Hey jutt maybe you can share with us where you are goin' W/this build. That way we can all collectively help you as you build this beast.ok that's said this kit that you bought has a provision for building a couple of different waysso that we may help you with this build like I said give us some sort of idea where you would like to either go or end up and all of the brain trust here on the forum can help you to achieve the results you are trying to get there are a couple of vendors on eBay that sell resin carburetors forward resin being one of them I believe you might want to take a look at what he has to sell the carbs are relatively inexpensive and give you a much nicer affect then the ones that come in the kit as far as detailing is concerned good luck yet and keep us posted Superbike-shaun