Model Cars Magazine Forum

spark plug wire boots, where please?

Jeff, i may know a guy on ebay, ill look for is info, i know 5 to 6 bucks for a setup distrubtor cap wireed is expensive and only get one car, thats bs, what i doo, is i go too thrift stores, or salvation army stores and look for old car chargers or ipod chargers are vest, and strip the wire out, old computer towers or trashed electronics have some great wire, for the cheap, ill look f I r the guy on ebay,

alan

I need a good source for plug wire boot material. I know someone out there in TV land can help me! I could buy a nice pair of wire-strippers from "Micro Mark" but I donwanna. (It's rough out there!)

It sounds like money is the issue. There are a lot of cheaper ways to do things than buying premade pieces. Back in the day, before all the aftermarket stuff, modelers had to rely on their own skill and ability to create stuff like sparkplug boots. We would get two different sizes of wire. One the correct plug wire size and one the that insulation is just large enough to slip over the plug wire. Strip off a piece of the second insulation long enough to make all the boots plus a little. Then use a hobby knife or single edge razor to cut boots. Slid them over the plug wire and just a tiny drop of glue to hold it in place. Oh, and before your put the boot on, strip a small piece of insulation off the plug wire to expose a bit of the wire. That gives you something to glue the plug wire into the head or distributor with. You don't need fancy tools or expensive after market stuff, just a little time and patients. Old school man!

Oh and by the way, any electronics store or hobby store that sells beading supplies is a good source for wire. Buying it by the spool is much cheaper than the prepackaged stuff the aftermarket guys sell.

Edited by Pete J.

just get some wire slightly larger diameter than the spark plug wire you are using, cut a 6" or so section off. split one end just a bit and with needle nose pliers or tweezers, pull out the multistrand wire until you have a tube of hollow wire. then cut off sections and slip them over your ignition wires and work them down to the engine block. you can get fancy and slit one side of the connector opposite the direction of the wire, then bend it over to make a 45 or 90 degree boot. if you need to, go to radio shack or an electronics store and get some appropriate wire, way cheaper than aftermarket.

jb