Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Impala Fuelly--290 HP/283 4 Speed...

DR JAY

Thanks for the kind comments! The Coverless Wheels were chosen because I primarily build (with the odd exception) vintage Stock Cars and Drag cars and have always had a soft spot for the look of plain black or body coloured steel wheels. The tech inspector would have required the removal of wheel covers to make a lap on the strip. I did try a bolt cover from the Black Widow kit to check out the difference, but still preferred the non-covered look. A Tuxedo black paint job with a white roof would have really set off the bolt covers for an Angry Chevy look. Modelhaus sells them, so I may eventually add a set someday to change it up. The silver highlights on the tail lights are mylar foil tape, as BMF didn't adhere properly in such small strips unless I wrapped them around the lens and made the strips visible from the outside.

gtx6970-The "Other" fuel injected GM you saw at the car show you were mentioning was very likely a Pontiac.

Now, to get to work on this Fujimi Lamborghini Countach that I have been putting off for years....Looking at the box contents, it appears that the 59 will be the only one I finish in 2014!

• 3 weeks later...

Great job on a very unusual subject! I especially like the "Fuel Injection" emblems you made for the front fenders, which are a very important part of the visuals on this car. I was lucky enough to see a black '59 Impala fuelie years ago at Chevy-Vettefest in Chicago. Up until that time, I hadn't even known that F.I. could still be ordered on a non-Corvette in 1959.

Thanks for the compliments! I'm glad that everyone likes it...despite building for my own satisfaction, finding out that others with the same interests in the hobby enjoy what I build is pretty satisfying as well...

...Stay tuned for my next project- the factory Ford Drag Race Team/Performance clinic Truck, trailer and race cars.

post-9878-0-36883800-1418768293_thumb.jp