Model Cars Magazine Forum

2008 Audi R8

n7plus1

Hello, new here. Just started getting back into models. I haven't done one since I was in Middle School (I'm 30 now). Now married and a 2 year old, I find it calming to sit down and work on this thing, lol.

I'm currently refinishing the wheels, as they came chrome in this kit (Revell).

20141217_085046.jpg

20141217_085107.jpg

Waiting for wheels:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--gYzy586EBI/VJGNGlhuFDI/AAAAAAAACbQ/46aR6ep6OBA/w1394-h784-no/20141217_085459.jpg

I decided to go a bit more realistic with the headlight housings but hand drilling out the molded projectors in place of a 3mm clear LED. I think it really sharpens up the look:

20141216_210641.jpg

Here's whats left of what needs to be painted/attached yet, not including some random decals that still need to be placed throughout the project:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-HJiYo2QRHDM/VJGNGzEFMUI/AAAAAAAACbU/sqfdHzvWsHU/w476-h846-no/20141217_085543.jpg

Thanks guys!

Cool. Welcome to the hobby. You are in a good area, we have at least three different PA clubs within an hour drive of you! PM me for details.

ah, nice! My cousin's - wife's - father (who is also here in York) is who gave me this model and I'm sure he's probably in a club b/c he's really into them too.

Did you took away the chrome of the wheels? What color did you take for the wheels? It looks a little "rough" on the rims. The paint of the rear bumper looks very smooth. Your interior is also a clean build. For my opinion, it's a little to shiny.

Greetings to PA! I was married to a girl from Dallastown. So I know York a little or the base ball field of the York Revolution. Have some good memories :) Love the area around and this is the only thing I'm missing since I've been divorced. PA - America starts here ;)!

• 2 weeks later...

Some updates, hoped to be further along but was on vacation for the holidays until today

these pictures didnt turn out too great and the last two, the paint looks a bit orange.

20150101_212355.jpg

20150103_230604.jpg

20150103_230634.jpg

Still contemplating painting the sideblades silver, like this:

KYO9216RR.jpg

I need some ideas/help on how to mask off the sideblade area to paint it silver. Painters tape is hard to get around the sharp curves. I went out and bought some automotive pinstriping in 1/8" and that didnt seem to help. Its a bit thick, maybe thats the problem?

Nate,

This is the first time I saw this thread, and I like what I am seeing. Since you live in York, you may consider riding South on 83, east around the Baltimore Beltway to the B-W parkway, head south to Greenbelt, MD and come to the MAMA meeting this weekend. We will be meeting this Saturday, and would love to meet you and see the model as it sits.

Here is a link to our newsletter.

www.mamasboyz.org

I helped a friend of mine build an R8. He was a beginner and didn't feel comfortable doing the masking for the sideblades. I ended up doing it. I used Tamiya masking tape, and put a big piece over the area, and cut it with a brand new exacto blade. Just be careful to burnish it well, and let the knife do the cutting. Slide the blade around the panel line carefully, and then reburnish before spraying. That should do the trick.

Thats what I was going to try to do next but I dont fee like i could get a nice clean edge the whole way around.

Nate,

This is the first time I saw this thread, and I like what I am seeing. Since you live in York, you may consider riding South on 83, east around the Baltimore Beltway to the B-W parkway, head south to Greenbelt, MD and come to the MAMA meeting this weekend. We will be meeting this Saturday, and would love to meet you and see the model as it sits.

Here is a link to our newsletter.

www.mamasboyz.org

Thanks for the invite, tho its hard to get the time to do things like that at the time in my life now.