Model Cars Magazine Forum

Blocking Ebay Sellers's Listings Who Are Overpriced? Or is it Greedbay?

impcon

Hopefully this wont start a heated discussion and cooler minds will prevail but here goes:

I just posted a request on the Ebay site - for what ever effort that was worth - requesting that a default by choice "Ignore Seller" feature be implemented. There is a setting where a seller's auctions can be blocked but the sellers name must be re-entered into the box with each new search - such a royal pain in the neck.. There are certain sellers on there ( no names mentioned ) buying and then breaking up and parting out models and their prices are outlandish, to say the least. Gaging by the foolish starting prices, some of these sellers must be on drugs and if they aren't, then they should be because $14.00 to $20.00 plus another $5.00 for shipping for a set of pickup door mirrors for example, is stupid - but not as stupid as the people who actually will pay that kind of money when many times, a complete kit sells for not a whole lot more than that. There are many sellers on that site that see these prices and the feeding frenzy begins because most think that these are the going prices. When you see two identical, sealed kits on the same page and one is realistically priced at for example, $20.00 and another one down the page if $49.99 - that should suggest something about how out to lunch a lot of these sellers are. Add the fact that they know nothing about what they are selling and it just says one word - greed. Without getting into supply and demand and the guy has to make a living, it may be an idea if more people who would never buy from these people or pay the prices that they want could choose to ignore their auctions. Perhaps some suggestions to Ebay to raise their awareness just might help although I am less than optimistic; Still, nothing ventured - nothing gained. For what ever it is worth, here is the text of my message..

I have been both a seller and a buyer on Ebay for many years now and the experiences have not been with out their challenges to say the least. I look for a purchase mostly model cars and parts as well as other needs, but I spend a few hours every day on Ebay searching for things that I need for my hobby. As the greed factor seems to be kicking in with many sellers who are wanting more and more money for what they sell, it becomes very annoying any more having to look through hundreds of posts - from several sellers in particular - who expect ridiculous prices for what they sell.

I would respectfully suggest that Ebay institute a "IGNORE SELLER" feature that would be in the default settings much as what order you wish to browse auctions in - lowest price firs, highest price first, etc. I find that I am starting to quit looking at a particular category when these high priced sellers have several pages of auctions, absolutely NONE of which I will bid or or interest me as I will not pay his/her asking prices. It wastes a lot of my time having to sort through these peoples' listings because inserted in the middle of the dozens upon dozens of listings may be something sanely and realistically priced that I may need or want.

In all fairness, there is an "exclude seller" feature but it has to be reset each and every time a different search is implemented. PLEASE make this a default setting that can be changed at will by choice,a as it serves NO purpose being forced to look at seller's items from whom a bidder will never buy. I have the sellers who I follow bookmarked so why can't sellers be bookmarked to be blocked just as easily without having to enter their name with each search? Please consider this request as a serious one and I know based on what I have read on different forums that I am far from alone with this request or my views. Thank you.

so you are asking a company that makes money based on the price things sell for to offer a shield to protect you from the very sellers who are their bread and butter?

good luck on that.

by the way there are a number of low impact easy solutions to the problem you say you have.

jb

So what's your point? That some sellers should be blocked?

Why not just use your own common sense while on ebay?

I get what he's saying. It would be nice to sort of "filter out the noise" of people you will never deal with while you're searching, kind of like having a "Zapper" on your phone to eliminate calls from people you don't want to talk to, (which is most people in my case). :) Believe me, There are a couple I would like to eliminate just to make sure I don't make the mistake of bidding on one of their auctions in the future if I happen to miss their name. Not because of prices, but for other reasons. There's one that I've given a chance to twice that I'll never buy from again because he likes to take poor & "favorable" photos & offer no information about condition that may be unfavorable to his sale. I realize I had taken a risk with him both times & both times I received garbage!! Another one flat out ignored the fact that I had bid, won & paid for an Item. I placed one bid for the starting bid price & won & strangely never heard from him again. When I started to question the situation through ebay, he claimed he never saw the "paid" message on his end & re-sold the item! :huh: I think we all know that he was hoping to get more for the item in the auction & when he didn't, he either re-sold the item or kept it & claimed ignorance. I of course got my money back, eventually, but the whole situation was so blatantly dishonest, it just burned my backside! guys like this should be banned from ebay in my opinion! Unfortunately Gary, I think William is right. I wouldn't hold my breath! steve

so you are asking a company that makes money based on the price things sell for to offer a shield to protect you from the very sellers who are their bread and butter?

good luck on that.

by the way there are a number of low impact easy solutions to the problem you say you have.

jb

I would like it. Sellers would hate it. So, does eBay need more sellers or more buyers??

I, obviously, have no way of knowing how much money eBay makes on these sellers vs how much they loose on "browsers" like myself because I get tired of looking at 400 nascar decals or a complete, readily available kit for sale piece by piece...

ebay doesn't really make anything on buyers, you realize, all the fees come from the seller. even paypal is set up like that (coincidentally being part and parcel of ebay at this point), someone spending money pays nothing, all the fees are on the receiver (except under certain special circumstances blah blah blah).

of course the sellers wouldn't have anyone to sell to if there were not buyers, but in the ebay pay equation its all on the sellers. and that's why its unlikely they will go out of their way to let you block sellers. if the report above is correct that is already the case: they make you re-enter the blocked buyers when you do a search (sounds kind of funny to me but ive never tried it so I take it at face value). the only reason to make you do that would be to get you to effectively "unblock" those blocked sellers...which is a giveaway to the seller and perfect example of what I am talking about: them favoring sellers over buyers.

really though a better tactic would be to perfect your own search techniques. realize that showing any category is actually a search and the search box above is active. one guy who sells in a category I look at uses the literal "PS" in all his titles. use the negator operator (the negative sign "-") in front of a string means "do not select items with this string". so just enter -PS in the search and bingo those items do not show up. takes some tuning but easy to do and quite effective. sorry if I am speaking below your level and you know all this already; just a suggestion.

jb

Edited by jbwelda

even paypal is set up like that (coincidentally being part and parcel of ebay at this point)

That has changed. They are once again separate.

You can use search terms to exclude, like "-NASCAR,-decals,-decal,-ONLY,-GMS..." etc. to exclude certain items and/or sellers who regularly use certain keywords or acronyms in almost all of their listings.

Sorry to have brought this up. :mellow: It seems that I have offended a few who obviously missed the point in what I was attempting to convey. I'll go stand in the corner now. :D

Harry P., on 17 Dec 2014 - 5:52 PM, said:Harry P., on 17 Dec 2014 - 5:52 PM, said:

So what's your point? That some sellers should be blocked?

Why not just use your own common sense while on ebay?

Edited by impcon

Well, I am sorry that I seem to have offended a few here with this thread. Sorry I brought the subject up. Sorry that some seem to have difficulty understanding what I am trying to say.

We understand, we just don't agree. While it's nice to have both, having the former is no guarantee of the latter.

As an overseas buyer, I would welcome the feature suggested by Gary. Kits are expensive here in NZ, so most of my purchases are from ebay sellers. There are many vendors who charge ridiculous prices for international shipping, including one today who was charging $68 for a kit that only cost $25 or so :blink:. It costs as little as $15 to ship here, including Electronic USPS Delivery Confirmation International.

I have a few saved sellers who charge these low rates and they frequently get my business, as do Far East suppliers of Japanese kits that ship for about $12. Why is it so expensive from the US?

I would gladly exclude vendors with exorbitant shipping costs (say over $30). And I agree about the NASCAR decals, it ran to several pages recently!!

You guys are hilarious!

Who decides who gets blocked? By what criteria? You don't like a seller's prices, so that seller, according to you, should be blocked?

Come on. This is the real world. Use your brain. If you don't like the price, look elsewhere.

Blockage would only be from the buyer - a way to "ignore" more or less. Same as if someone on a forum is annoying...

The reason I would use it is I sometimes just browse the whole kit and kaboodle - I just like finding oddball stuff Ive not seen much before - so specific search terms wouldn't help. How do you search for something you don't know exists? Some of the sellers list hundreds of items at once, which is fine. And it's not going to kill me to scroll through them in a browsing mode...but if I could exclude one seller at on my own discretion I wouldn't have to look at things I know I don't want to.

Overall, my life will be no different either way, but I've thought about the same thing the OP did...

You guys are hilarious!

Who decides who gets blocked? By what criteria? You don't like a seller's prices, so that seller, according to you, should be blocked?

Come on. This is the real world. Use your brain. If you don't like the price, look elsewhere.

But yet this forum provides an "ignore member" button to filter out those one may not care to see.