Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run 2015 " The Sleeperball"

wagonmaster

I spent tonight shaping and lowering the four separate wheel wells. Lots of interference in the front so the contouring was time consuming (cut, fit, cut, fit) but I have yet to encounter any problems that escalate into a domino effect of problems. In other words things so far have been going pleasantly well.

WheelWells1_zpsc7404e92.jpg

WheelWells2_zpsc2e58a04.jpg

There's no rush to finish but I only get a couple months. Modeling stops for summer around April and it's hard to recover the momentum in the fall.

There's no rush to finish but I only get a couple months. Modeling stops for summer around April and it's hard to recover the momentum in the fall.

I hear ya there Mike

Once spring hits my business goes bat_ _ _ _ crazy again so,...

I'm still trying to finish what I started last April :blink:

It's in Redmond.

Today is the final meeting to decide if I'm the guy for the job. I've never wanted to the "not the guy for the job" in my life, but this comes pretty close. Too many things going on at home.

That's about 40 miles or so south of me

Edited by FatBoyKuztoms

I would like to say good luck, but do not know what to wish for for you.

That's about 40 miles or so south of me

Well the project lead loved my resume', so I'm headed out west on 2/16. Oh well. It's great for my career, but all my obligations at home are on hold.

On the subject of paint here's the paint chart for the AMC '77 model year. From my stash of Testors/MM lacquers and Duplicolor, I can easily do the Golden Ginger, Brandywine and Midnight Blue metallics. I'm leaning heavily toward the Brandywine.

77_pcc_lustreguard_zpsbtsrusl7.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

Well, I guess a good thing this contest has all year to complete. Too bad for the home obligations.

I just ordered a few more pieces photo etch from Detail Master and model car garage. This build will definitely be pushing my skills. I've never worked with photo etch parts before, except the grille that came with my Big John Mazmanian Willys. I have a good set of cutters and files. Hope this little adventure looks good in the end.

Edited by Petetrucker07

After considerable thought and more than a few ideas, I will be going with a Dodge Caravan powered by a 600 hp Nissan V8. Here are the kits:

1C644FF8-5080-465F-BDCC-B74F360C60BF_zps

Inside Caravan box:

B08101AF-3D9B-4552-A525-B5101D5736C5_zps

I like the Caravan for a number of reasons: it's probably one of the most common cars on the road, it's somewhat aerodynamic (vs some of my other ideas), and it has plenty of room in back for engines and turbos and whatever else...

I wanted to get a little work done on my Skyline for February so I decided to try to close the fenderwells to get the stock look. I had a pair of skirts from my Thunderbird build and used them to fill the gap. Had to grind down the slight flares on the skirts as well as cut off some of the ends.

I used some very thin rectangular styrene strips for the body bulge. I laid the main strip on end and two adjacent strips flat to get the taper.

It came out pretty well with the help of some filler. I'll let it set a few days and then start sanding. Next I'll tackle cutting the chassis floorboard to get transaxle to fit. That and installing the rear end look to be the biggest challenge as the Vette transaxle mounted without springs to a flat chassis on top. Now I'll be mounting it underneath with coilovers.

StockSkyline_zps17d076a7.jpgSkyline%20fender%20work%201_zpsvl5b5rt1.Skyline%20fender%20work%203_zpsa432rgbg.

Skyline%20fender%20work%202_zpssnt3yg9w.

Just got my kit on the weekend, I have had to change what my build was going to be originally. The same idea, an old SUV with ferrari drive train. Instead of a scout 2 I will use the re-issue amt 72 blazer and a Ferrari 599 gto. I've been waiting for this for a while, but now I can start tonight.imagejpg1_zps88e29c8d.jpg

DSCN0427_zpsb137c24b.jpg

Is that a surfboard? Just a thought, but surfers 1) tend to have weed and are thus a target for the cops and 2) might look out of place in, say Iowa. How about making it a plumbers or sparkies ute and putting some tubes on the roof rack?

Well the project lead loved my resume', so I'm headed out west on 2/16. Oh well. It's great for my career, but all my obligations at home are on hold.

On the subject of paint here's the paint chart for the AMC '77 model year. From my stash of Testors/MM lacquers and Duplicolor, I can easily do the Golden Ginger, Brandywine and Midnight Blue metallics. I'm leaning heavily toward the Brandywine.

77_pcc_lustreguard_zpsbtsrusl7.jpg

Golden Ginger gets my vote - just 'cause of the name.

I've successfully filled and sanded and primed the big hole where my bulge was (ooh errr missus!). Then I cut off the entire front clip. I'm now thinking maybe i'll lengthen the body rather than shorten the chassis. After all who's going to notice unless I park next to a standard length Citation...