Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run 2015 " The Sleeperball"

wagonmaster

Engine looks right at home Frank, nice work.

Well folks, after a couple of false starts and a bit of a building slump, still dealing with that but oh well it's time to get my build in gear. My entry this year will be a 64 Dodge 330 that I plan on converting into a rusty crusty Polara Wagon sporting Viper drivetrain maybe the V10 as well but I might go with an SRT8 power plant too. Which ever I think will be easier to mask/muffle down. If that doesn't make sense don't worry it will later on. I've also got plans for a couple of other things that should make it a more believable sleeper. Should be a fun challenge in any case mainly because I've haven't done a weathered vehicle before.

11703444_731977710281427_706864309559858

11807284_731977703614761_523070260049598

11834944_731977770281421_631719649832064

Alright. Back on the job. More pics in my workbench thread. I'll be starting the weathering very soon. Some excellent work happening here. I'm glad to see that this years theme has so many people inspired.

20150816_130254_zps3yqjo4ov.jpg

20150816_130312_zpsi7k8djvy.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

Well now. Time surely does fly. We've got only 3.5 months left folks. Yep. It's time to take a long hard look at the work you still have left and the distractions life has thrown at you and make a plan to get it done for the deadline of December 1st. 

How's if going for everyone?

Edited by Jantrix

Here's the final photos, sorry for not posting many updates, work had me so busy I just didn't have much time to do so. The paint color is Hunter Green with several coats of acrylic washes of different shades including mustard yellow, orange, brown, and black. I used automotive 5% vlt tint on the windows, and of course BMF on the trim. The kit is already pretty well detailed, but I added a custom 10 point rollcage which of course cannot be seen from outside the car, opened up the grill, removed the side trim, lowered the ride height front and rear, and added many details on the engine/transmission like dipsticks, throttle linkage, wire looms and a distributor wired in the correct firing order for the 427, wire to the alternator and starter, and an aluminum fuel line with braided hose and A/N fittings. Enough explaining, ill just let the pictures do the rest of the talking..

sleeperfairlaneinterior_zpszvqzu4jn.jpg

sleeperfairlane15_zpsnesz4efa.jpg

sleeperfairlane12_zpsjb7t6a4v.jpg

I'm fairly happy with how it turned out, especially for being my first weathered model. I found that it's much harder than I originally thought to make them look bad while still being convincing. I think I probably chose the wrong kit to try to do a sleeper though, there isn't much room in the engine bay and the suspension is quite finicky, I ran into some problems with engine and header clearances while still using a stock hood.

Edited by Dragfreak

Looks convincing to me, if I should complain about something, then it is that probably some of the brightwork are aluminium or stainless on the real car = won't rust.

Thanks for the reminder, that's something I should have known, I should be able to take some wax and clean it up a little bit. The only stainless pieces should be the window trim, hubcap, grill, and windshield wipers, correct? the bumpers and door handles and mirror would be chrome on a 1:1 meaning they could pit, chip and rust with prolonged exposure to the elements I believe, please correct me if I'm wrong..