Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Chrysler 300, Update 1/28 DONE!

StevenGuthmiller

Well, being as I just finished a '64 & really enjoyed it, I might as well move on to a '65 Chrysler 300 hardtop. This one will be done in "Royal Turquoise" with either a medium turquoise or turquoise & white interior. I'm going to try to keep my 1958 Ford convertible project moving at the same time, but I've been having a little difficulty concentrating on more than one build at a time as of late. Steve

post-13791-0-67640300-1419646861_thumb.j

post-13791-0-96886700-1419646870_thumb.j

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Steve,

I love those "Engel" Chryslers. At least you did not start with something like this...

2006_0531porkchopone0029.jpg

2006_0531porkchopone0032.jpg

It was as bad as it seems. At least the body was not painted.

It took a lot of work, and some scratch building of some interior components, and this is how it ended up.

2006_1125modelsnov260023.jpg

2006_1125modelsnov260025.jpg

I painted it with some Testor's spray Lacquer, and yes it has some huge flake in it, but I like it, and that is why I went with custom wheels.

Alas, I am going to have to re-build it, as it has developed a crack in the side, which may have happened in the earthquake we had a couple of years ago. When I fix the crack, I am going to paint it in a much more subdued color, and slip on a set of stock wheel covers.

Steve,

I love those "Engel" Chryslers. At least you did not start with something like this...

2006_0531porkchopone0029.jpg

2006_0531porkchopone0032.jpg

It was as bad as it seems. At least the body was not painted.

It took a lot of work, and some scratch building of some interior components, and this is how it ended up.

2006_1125modelsnov260023.jpg

2006_1125modelsnov260025.jpg

I painted it with some Testor's spray Lacquer, and yes it has some huge flake in it, but I like it, and that is why I went with custom wheels.

Alas, I am going to have to re-build it, as it has developed a crack in the side, which may have happened in the earthquake we had a couple of years ago. When I fix the crack, I am going to paint it in a much more subdued color, and slip on a set of stock wheel covers.

Very nice Ron. Yes, I did pretty well with my purchase. got it on ebay for $77.00. Body's in really nice shape except for a couple of sink marks on the roof from an over zealous glue job on the glass. Interior's in good shape, & the engine/ engine bay is missing a couple of parts but they're easily replaced. Mine was never painted either. Just a few decals on the bare plastic. I'm doing a little bit of an unusual wheel treatment with this one too. Steelies with dog dish caps. Don't know if they ever came that way, but the look is cool! :) Steve

Very nice Ron. Yes, I did pretty well with my purchase. got it on ebay for $77.00. Body's in really nice shape except for a couple of sink marks on the roof from an over zealous glue job on the glass. Interior's in good shape, & the engine/ engine bay is missing a couple of parts but they're easily replaced. Mine was never painted either. Just a few decals on the bare plastic. I'm doing a little bit of an unusual wheel treatment with this one too. Steelies with dog dish caps. Don't know if they ever came that way, but the look is cool! :) Steve

I love the way your models come out. I have one more 65 in my stash, which is a hardtop, which is in the same shape as the one you have. I have another '65 hardtop built, which I did not photograph. I may go down in the display and get it out to photograph.

The one I am going to build may get a different tratment. It is not above me to swap out a roof for a different version of the car. I'm leaning towards one like this one

3001965.jpg

even though I like this one better.

image02.jpg

Maybe it's the color, as I am partial to black. It looks so elegant, and turning it into a New Yorker would be a stretch, as it would take a lot of time to change the Grille, Tail Panel, and side trim. I saw a one-to-one just like this one at Carlisle, and wish I had the money to buy it. I have a roof section that will work, and my "unbuilt" 300 has "roof rash" like the one you have, so the build may happen.

I did a roof swap on this one...

MamameetingOct15020.jpg

so it's not too hard of a job. Just a matter of working out the details.

Even though dog dish caps were not an option on the '65 300 series Chrysler, I believe that The Modelhaus has the dog dishes you are looking for. If memory serves me correctly, the ones for the '62 Chrysler would be the same. The ones I used on the '65 Polara were used extensively on Police and Taxi versions in the real world, and yes, they also came from the Modelhaus.

No matter how you cut it, I know yours will be a knockout.

Steve looking forward to your build. I have one of these in the closet to build to. I had to pay more for mine but not any where I've seen them go for last year trere was one that went for over $800 on eBay and it was opened but not started.

Yeah, they get ridiculous on ebay these days! Got pretty lucky with this one. Steve

I love the way your models come out. I have one more 65 in my stash, which is a hardtop, which is in the same shape as the one you have. I have another '65 hardtop built, which I did not photograph. I may go down in the display and get it out to photograph.

The one I am going to build may get a different tratment. It is not above me to swap out a roof for a different version of the car. I'm leaning towards one like this one

3001965.jpg

even though I like this one better.

image02.jpg

Maybe it's the color, as I am partial to black. It looks so elegant, and turning it into a New Yorker would be a stretch, as it would take a lot of time to change the Grille, Tail Panel, and side trim. I saw a one-to-one just like this one at Carlisle, and wish I had the money to buy it. I have a roof section that will work, and my "unbuilt" 300 has "roof rash" like the one you have, so the build may happen.

I did a roof swap on this one...

MamameetingOct15020.jpg

so it's not too hard of a job. Just a matter of working out the details.

Even though dog dish caps were not an option on the '65 300 series Chrysler, I believe that The Modelhaus has the dog dishes you are looking for. If memory serves me correctly, the ones for the '62 Chrysler would be the same. The ones I used on the '65 Polara were used extensively on Police and Taxi versions in the real world, and yes, they also came from the Modelhaus.

No matter how you cut it, I know yours will be a knockout.

I'm sure it'll look nice Ron, although, I gotta say, I've never been a 4 door fan. I think I'm going to use a set of caps from the '70 Ford police car kit, (They're very generic & I already have them) & a set of left over wheels from a '60 Ford kit. I already did a sort of "test fit" & I thought it looked pretty cool with the dog dish caps & some white wall tires. Gives it that sort of "sleeper" look. I almost bought a 1965 Chrysler Newport when I was still in high school. I'm almost positive that had dog dish caps but I don't recall for sure. I do remember it had a three on the tree, which is the main reason I didn't buy it. :) Steve

Put a little color on this project tonight. MCW #6758 "Dark Turquoise Metallic". Also known as correct 1965 "Royal Turquoise". I was really surprised at how close this was to Duplicolor 88-00958 "Arcadia Green" which I used as a base. Almost exactly the same color, only a little heavier in the metal flake department. Steve

post-13791-0-33799000-1419914548_thumb.j

post-13791-0-95899700-1419914556_thumb.j

I finished up the painting on the interior of the '65 Chrysler tonight. I was initially going to go with a monochromatic theme on this interior & do it all turquoise to match the body. But I just couldn't do it. Too much turquoise! :) I decided to go with a turquoise & parchment combo instead to add a little contrast. I know most of these '65 300s had interiors in basically one color, but I did find a few examples on line that were 2-tone. So, a little patience & a lot of masking tape later this is what I have. As usual, I sprayed a light pearl coat over the top of the upholstery to give it that wonderful 60s metallic vinyl look. Now, a little foil, some detailing and a bit of embossing powder for the carpets, & I'll be able to move on to other components of the build. SteveDSCN3660_zps5209d7f3.jpgDSCN3663_zps4db98187.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Still plugging along on this project. I'm hoping to finish up before the first of February. Leaving on a weeks vacation to warmer climes on the first, so I'd just as soon be starting a new project when I return. Body's all polished out, (except for a little on the hood) & the foil is finished on the body. Took almost a third of a sheet of foil to do this one! More than you would usually expect from a '65! :) SteveDSCN3671_zps1f06fe89.jpgDSCN3675_zps1fe144f7.jpgDSCN3678_zps30dc1158.jpg