Model Cars Magazine Forum

In Honor Of The "Chezoom" release...

funhouse1

Wow...these are all great builds of these very simplistic kits. Whenever I see a series of models like these, I think back to the AMT Designers, Modeling staff, engineers, and Art Department and how they would be amazed - and I suspect, very proud - of this kit series, and what we've done with them. Bravo!

TIM

Great thread with some great builds of these cars. But, no one has mentioned, or , shown the box art for (which is splendid) the 'Hemi Hustler' which was part of this series too no? Well, here it is:

IMG_0667_zps2bc81976.jpg

kitfeatures-1_zps97bb8b0e.jpg

Hope R2 releases the HUG kit with this awesome box art and original decals...

Wow...these are all great builds of these very simplistic kits. Whenever I see a series of models like these, I think back to the AMT Designers, Modeling staff, engineers, and Art Department and how they would be amazed - and I suspect, very proud - of this kit series, and what we've done with them. Bravo!

TIM

Hey Tim, any idea if there's a possibility of the Olds roadster from the series ever resurfacing?

Hope R2 releases the HUG kit with this awesome box art and original decals...

Jack, if R2 releases this kit it won't be called HUG, because it is the 'Hemi Hustler :). I think it would be a shame to blur the two kits. They are unique and stand alone. R2 would be wise to keep them both.

Gooche decals still makes the decals for the Hemi Hustler kit.

Edited by Speedfreak

Jack, if R2 releases this kit it won't be called HUG, because it is the 'Hemi Hustler :). I think it would be a shame to blur the two kits. They are unique and stand alone. R2 would be wise to keep them both.

Gooche decals still makes the decals for the Hemi Hustler kit.

I think you'll find that the issue of the '66 HUG kit is identical to the Hemi Hustler only with Hurst decals...

I'd really like to see that Hemi Hustler being reissued. Those Hemi Under Glass kits can be found quite easily, but these Hemi Hustlers are much harder to find. I know I'd buy one immediately... But I'd like to see a new Hemi Under Glass kit too.

I'd like to see the '64 Olds roadster too. You could graft on the top from a common Revell '65 Chevelle and do a more normal Olds funny.

I've got ref photos in an old magazine of a topless '65 Chevelle funny, so I could do that from the leftovers.

I built a Hemi Under Glass kit several years ago,,,and in a foolish moment sold it on Ebay,,,I will not make that mistake again. But I do have one of the repops in the stash for,,,later.

About 15 years ago I did pick up a started original issue Comet from a friend of mine. Dug it out and painted / decaled it sometime last year .. and it has sat in the corner of the model bench since.

Sad part is I could have it done and in the case in a day ,,or less

I don't know Jack, seems like it might be. Bill will probably know. I still drool when I look at that kit that Bill did. What's the difference between a Cyclone and a Comet? The Comet I remember was smaller, the Cyclone being a mid-size car like the Fairlane. But the car on the box art for the kit you mention looks like the Cyclone :wacko:

Edit: Jack, I just looked at a couple of those kits and they 'are' Cyclones. It says " The Kings Comet" in big print with a crown, but, just to the right of that it says, " Mercury Cyclone funny Car. I wonder how close they are to the originals?

Edited by Speedfreak

I dont have one of the Kings Comet versions so I cant say what the differences are,,if any.

I bought mine many years ago as the original issue and it was the only game in town . As it was several years before it was re-released by the model king.

Mine has the hard plastic tires ft and rear if that makes a difference ????????

I moved some stuff around on the bench this morning to ake this pic,,,so I may just take a day here soon and finish it ( when Football season is over )

I have been working on restoring a 1/1 1968 Charger RT and a 1970 Dart 340 for shop customers and they both want them done by this summer. And paying customers take precedence to model cars.