Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chrome is silver?

Morning everyone,

OK...what am I doing wrong? I've got the AMT '51 Chevy kit and I sprung for the expensive Spaz paint (including the gloss black sealer). However, my chrome looks just plain old silver. Was it because I brushed it on? (don't have airbrush yet....)

?????

post-14918-0-37100600-1420022298_thumb.j

Not sure about Spaz, but Alclad does require a gloss black base - preferably an enamel. Then light sprayed on chrome. I don't think brushing works with these type paints because of the way the tiny particles adhere to the black base. It's kind of like magic.

I have another question - why were you trying to chrome those hubcaps on chrome sprue? I would recommend removing the parts, cleaning up mold lines and attachment points, then primer, base black, chrome.

Black sealer? Is that the black base coat? A dealer sounds like something you put over the chrome...

Enamel base coats allow the chrome paint to "bite" the undercoat and provide a more durable finish. You can get very good results with a lacquer base, but the chrome will be very susceptible to rubbing off.

Edited by Erik Smith

I can say here, I've used the Alclad paint Chrome, and use a REAL good gloss black base coat before applying it, and if its sprayed through an air brush it turns out "chrome" if its BRUSHED on (it turns out CHROME). BUT DO NOT listen to those saying to use any other color for the base, it REFLECTS this color, the same way a mirror is made!

When brushing to apply it, remember to do a really good gloss black coat first allow to dry, THEN get a bigger bristle brush, dip into the Alclad, and basically "dab it onto the part, IT WILL "puddle" this is NORMAL. leave it! IT WILL NOT "dry" the way that looks and will come out "chrome" when it dries almost like a plating does!

ALLOW IT TO CURE.....

THEN gloss clear coat OVER IT, this will SEAL in that shine like Chrome plating!

Hope this helps. BE SURE tho, GLOSS BLACK, NOT Flat, Flat black will make the Chrome come out looking more like an unprotected Aluminum....

Gloss blue, will have a anodized blue aluminum look to it.....

I used Spaz Stix Ultimate Mirror Chrome Spray can paint and it works beautifully, reference picture below. Just spray in light coats over a gloss black base, I used Rust-O-leum X2 cover Gloss Black for these rims.

DSC06797_zps7b1645fc.jpg

Link to product

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015H1FGA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

B) Hi I use the Spaz in the spray cans. I like it to me it's a litter better then the Alclad but you have to totally strip the old plastis and clean it then I use a coat of flat black then 2 coats of the Model Master High gloss Black then the Spaz I have always gotten very good looking chrome. I have brushed it on very small parts but it really has to be sprayed on. I have an air brush but to tell you the truth I like the spray can's.

I used Spaz Stix Ultimate Mirror Chrome Spray can paint and it works beautifully, reference picture below. Just spray in light coats over a gloss black base, I used Rust-O-leum X2 cover Gloss Black for these rims.

DSC06797_zps7b1645fc.jpg

Link to product

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015H1FGA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now that is some very convincing chrome from a spray can!! How many coats did you spray Jonathan?

Now that is some very convincing chrome from a spray can!! How many coats did you spray Jonathan?

I did around 6 to 7 very light coats 20 to 30 minutes between coats with the can about 5 to 7 inches away from the rims when spraying. Something I should mention is that directly after spraying it will likely have a fogged look, let it dry for at least 12 hours then take a dry Q-tip for small objects or a cloth (cut up t-shirt) for larger objects and gently buff it, it should shine up beautifully.

Tony, Advance Auto and O'reilly's has this Chrome spray in a tall can, its like 9.00 bucks or so, But it is the Best Chrome and cheapest I have found! may try it on a scrap Piece or two, I heat mine in Hot tap water shaking a few times, then spray, let it sit, hr or so I just use old tee, and rub it out some, then do a last coat,,not bad at all

Tony, Advance Auto and O'reilly's has this Chrome spray in a tall can, its like 9.00 bucks or so, But it is the Best Chrome and cheapest I have found! may try it on a scrap Piece or two, I heat mine in Hot tap water shaking a few times, then spray, let it sit, hr or so I just use old tee, and rub it out some, then do a last coat,,not bad at all

do you know what the brand name was on this auto parts store find?

Dan,

I don't know if this is what Alan was referring to, but Duplicolor Perfect Match "Universal Chrome" sprayed over Krylon Gloss Black will give you a polished aluminum look:

picsay-1351728653.jpg

picsay-1351800174.jpg

picsay-1351800267.jpg

Sorry that the first picture is a little blurry...

David

Good stuff...thanks everyone! I'm heading out to do some errands and will stop by and pick up a can. I *did* get a bit better look by taking a soft cloth and rubbing out the pieces for a while however.....but I think for my next stuff, will try the spray can instead of a brush....