Model Cars Magazine Forum

Before and After: Revell '39 Chevy Coupe

Lucas van H

Hi guys:

I originally built this model about 3 years ago, and painted it in this blue/black scheme (what was i thinking...), and didn't bother too much about painting things you probably won't see. You could say this was a rushjob.

Well, 2 weeks ago I couldn't stand it any longer and tore it apart. while disassembling, the front suspension broke into 5 pieces that I couldn't glue together anymore without making a big mess out of it, so I ripped the suspension from a Revell Camaro which has so many parts missing that it isn't worthwile to repair it.

The exhausts are also made of Camaro parts, but first I cut away the original molded in exhaust on the frame. The engine is the stock one except for new a new pulley/belt setup and high rise carbs. The interior is pretty much stock, except for 2 AMT Chevy Nova Prostreet seats that I had laying around. To make it stand out with all the red, i sprayed it white, and gave the dash the same color as the body. I used the whitewalls and rims from the Monogram '58 Ford Thunderbird that I gave a quick wash to make it less toy-like. The paint is just Motip 51540 with 1K clear, all from rattlecan.

On to the photo's:

Before:

IMG_20150101_235840_zpsmllrquyf.jpg

IMG_20150101_195834_zpshjfauivz.jpg

After:

IMG_20150105_001253_zpswysmncpt.jpg

20150105_130236_zps5pjpcbu5.jpg

I'll try and take some better pictures in the next few days, and I'll add them here.

Cheers,

Lucas.

Actually the outline of these windows would be black rubber, they don't have chrome, just the rubber moulding that holds them in place, both front and rear. I've restored and painted a couple of these in 1:1 and am pretty familiar with them.

The only chrome around the windows would be around the vent windows, and even that one has a thin line of black weather stripping between the door and the front of the wind wing, and there would be a chrome moulding in between the two front windshields, unless you are representing it as a "butted" joint, or as a one piece molded windshield that the aftermarket is now offering for custom builds.

Edited by horsepower