Model Cars Magazine Forum

Completely new, comtemplating the hobby and some questions

Hi guys and gals,

Great to be here! I have just taken up 'modelling' in my late 40's after a break of 25 years away. I'm based in the UK and on a whim bought some fantasy figures and a bunch of games workshop paints over Christmas and gave it a go again to see if my hand and eyesight were still up to the job.

Anyway...the bug has bitten me again and now I want to move on to something more, and I'd like to get into car modelling.

Thing is - at the moment I don't think the missus would be too impressed if I announced that my latest purchase would be an airbrush.

So - I'm looking at getting a kit, some basic paints, and essentials to give a decent attempt.

My question - is it realistically possible to achieve a high quality gloss finish without an airbrush? If so what with? Spray cans? Are there tutorials or links you'd recommend?

Any particular brands of paint you'd advise me to look into or similarly avoid?

I was thinking of one of Revell's kit's that I can get from Amazon in the UK.

Any do's and dont's?

Any and all help and advise greatly appreciated. I've attached a pic of the first figure (still work in progress) post-14987-0-66271100-1420647125_thumb.jI've painted in 25 years as a reference....it's a 28mm figure so you can see I've a looong way to go, but at the same time I can hold a fairly steady brush.

First of all Dave, welcome to our plastic playground here. You can search through the Tips & Tricks threads for loads of information on painting.

For car models, a lot of us have our best results using automotive spray-can lacquers and primers which you would get at auto supply stores. The variety of colors and quick drying times make them good choices. Plus you can also use the clear top coats over the paints for a glossier finish. Tamiya spray paints are another excellent choice and are available at hobby shops or online. There are also polishing kits available to eliminate any "orange peel" finish in the paints once fully dry.

I'm sure other people will chime in here with additional suggestions.

Good luck with your future projects.

My question - is it realistically possible to achieve a high quality gloss finish without an airbrush? If so what with? Spray cans? Are there tutorials or links you'd recommend?

Absolutely. I'd try either the Testors One Shot Lacquers or Model Master Lacquers. I would hope your local hobby stores would carry them. Tamiya also makes an excellent spray paint. I'd stay away from the old Testors/Model Master enamels.

Be patient with your first attempts at spray painting. There are paint removers now that can help you if you need to clean the slate, so to speak, but I'm not sure whats available in the UK, so maybe one of our other members from your neighborhood can help you there.

Thanks for the quick replies!

If I *do* decide to go for an airbrush (I'm already planting some seeds in the wife's head that with careful watering and the earning of brownie points will come to fruition!) do you have any recommendations that with a compressor could come in under £300 or around under $500?

Thanks!

An airbrush is definitely not a must. I've never painted a body with an airbrush. I've used my airbrush maybe four times in the many years I've had it. The only reason I used it then was because I had mixed a color I needed for an interior. For me, it doesn't matter how the paint gets on that counts. It's what I do with it after it gets on that counts. For me, an airbrush just isn't worth the hassle.

IMO, Tamiya makes the best spray paints available hands down. Model Masters has good paints also. Although the last model that I used their clear on wouldn't cure out and I had to strip it. They make several factory stock colors. I also like Dupli Color paint. You can get more paint for your money with it. I don't care for the Testors One Coat paints. A lot of them have over sized flakes in the paint that are better suited for a dune buggy or bass boat. The White Lightning however, is a perfect pearl white. Test first before you commit to spraying it on your model. You may or may not like it.

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum, to answer your questions, yes you can get a good finish using spray cans, as you in the U.K, go and have a look at Halfords, there colour matched aerosol paints are acrylic and give a great finish, use them over Halfords plastic primer, either grey or white depending on the top coat your using.

Secondly, an airbrush set up really doesn't have to cost a fortune, I've been using one of these compressors for the last few years, not too noisey and only £79.00

http://www.airbrushsupplyonline.com/compressors/mini-airbrush-compressor-with-tank-as186-oil-free

There are so many airbrushes on the market, but again, you really don't have to spend a fortune on one, for most of my car bodies I use a Paasche H, the complete kit will set you back £90 if you want the kit with all the different tips and needles

http://www.airbrushsupplyonline.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_325&products_id=4019

Hope this helps ....

Edited by GeeBee

Nice one! I think I'll do the spray cans bit first and get my skills up, and then consider options down the line.

Nothing worse than one of those 36 handicap golfers with Ping clubs that thinks the best of gear makes them a better player! I'll def check out Halfords - there's one very close to me as well.

In the meantime I'll do some research on those airbrushes you mention.

Roger can you post some pics of your bodies that are hand painted with some explanations of that 'what you've done afterwards' part? Or maybe you have something on youtube - I'd be very interested to see that in action.

Certainly even in terms of the mininature painting I thin the paint very thin and use multiple thin coats to get a smooth finish, so I'm wondering if you're doing something similar and then doing some of the polishing work I'm starting to read up on,

cheers again guys

MVC001F-vi.jpg

Cheers Dave! I own two air brushes but haven't cracked them out in at least five years. The above model is Duplicolor Automotive spray paint, over their primer. The results are good enough for me so I do this almost exclusively.

IMG_3092-vi.jpg

With your interest in figures, with the detail painting and toning, maybe I can enlist you over to the dark side of auto modeling? Weathering and rusting require pretty much the eye and skills you have exhibited in the figure you posted. In doing this type of work I use spray paints, but I do a lot of hand detail work. Much of my rust is chalk powders and painting on the detail, much akin to working with water colors. Just an illustration of the diversity we have in auto modeling.

IMG_4225-vi.jpg

Wow Tom that is seriously impressive work!

Reminds me of some of the weathering I used to do on model tanks years ago (when I was a young man!) with pastel chalk dust and all sorts of malarky.

You've me convinced my friend! Now I just need to amble down to my local model shop and hope the missus doesn't notice another bulge in my overcoat :)

Roger can you post some pics of your bodies that are hand painted with some explanations of that 'what you've done afterwards' part? Or maybe you have something on youtube - I'd be very interested to see that in action.

Here's one for you Dave. Everything is spray painted from a can.

024-5.jpg

The body is two coats of color (Tamiya Candy Lime Green), four coats of clear (Tamiya TS-13). The scallops and roof are one coat of paint (white is Testors White Lightning). The "after" is simply polishing the clear. You can get a polishing kit that starts with a 3200 grit sanding cloth and ends with a 12000 grit cloth. Because I apply my paint pretty thin, I start with 6000 grit to get the orange peel out. Then I sand with 8000, then 12000. Finally, I rub it out with polishing compound and give it a coat of wax. But, polishing is not a must.

This model has three coats of paint, two coats of clear. No polishing. It's not as perfect as a polished paint job. But, it's acceptable to me.

001_zpsfcb0297a.jpg

you can get great results with spray cans. I bought an air brush and have used it 3 times [on stuff I couldn't find a color in spray cans for], I prefer 'rattle cans' as many people call them. as mentioned, with spray cans, a little polishing can go a long way to making awesome paint jobs. I will say this, it does take some practice, but can be done quite well.

here are some spray can jobs,

photo_zpscb68ba70.jpg

photo_zps594a82c3.jpg

photo_zpsa7dd88f9.jpg

that is spray can paint with some spray can clear before being polished.