Model Cars Magazine Forum

First Build - '68 Firebird (Revell)

LMDAVE

I started my first foil attempt. One thing that I'm very disappointed in is the foil that is to be remove is either leaving residue or interacting with the clear coat and not coming up easy. I'm afraid it could be the clear coat. I'm using MINWAX acrylic Clear spray. The foil I'm using is EZ Chrome. I've been rubbing the area with water & Qtip right after and it seems to help. Of course, cutting the foil perfect is tricky. I don't seem to see the mold line to find where to slice good. Im afraid if I push down too hard on the part to be removed that it'll increase the amount of residue I'm seeing. Anyway, this is the job halfway done.

410779280.jpg

410779281.jpg

Hi Dave, Really nice work so far on your Firebird. I haven't ever used, or even know much about EZ chrome foil, but I have never had a problem with Bare Metal foil leaving a residue or interact with any of the clear coats I have used. Also Bare Metal Foil lays down nicely and can be burnished with a tooth pic or q-tip revealing even the slightest of trim lines for trimming away excess. Don't know if you've ever tried BMF or not, but if not give it a try sometime.

Thanks, I just ordered some BMF to try. Will probably have to wait a week or so to get it though. This EZ Chrome does say "A more aggressive adhesive makes it easier to get the job done fast"

Edited by LMDAVE

Of course, cutting the foil perfect is tricky. I don't seem to see the mold line to find where to slice good. Im afraid if I push down too hard on the part to be removed that it'll increase the amount of residue I'm seeing.

Wait until you get the Bare Metal Foil. You should never have to press harder than if you were tracing it lightly with a pencil. BMF is very thin and cuts easily.

Very nice build so far! I really like the idea of printing on marbleized wood grain. You could scale up or down to get the texture just right. Print on a decal or like you did and just cover it with celo-tape for a perfect gloss that won't mar up! I'm borrowing that next dash board I build!

I think when I scaled the wheels out that came in this kit, they were like 13" at the outer edge of the rim which would make them essentially an 11 in rim (measured at the bead seat) and sadly makes them WAY too small for a car of that size. I actually used these wheels in a 1/32 kit and made it like a protouring style, turned out great!

Thanks for the advice on BMF. I decided to finish this one off with the EZ Chrome and save the BMF when it comes in for my next 2 builds. The EZ chrome went on a little easier this time. I"m wondering if I just didn't let the acrylic clear cure long enough. After another day of curing the chrome peeled off easier without residue, but still hard to press down and see lines. So, here's where I'm at with it:

410786743.jpg

410786742.jpg

Thanks, but that's not the BMF yet, that's the EZ Chrome. I'll be using BMF on my next build.

Also, I attempted to scratch build seat belts for the first time. I think I got the scale off a little bit though, so may have to take these up and re do them.

410786856.jpg

Edited by LMDAVE

This is a 2 in 1 kit, so there are supplemental parts if you want to make a drag model (wider smooth back tires, roll bar, different ram air hood), but I'm building as original instead of drag.

Yeah, I'm going to redo the belts.

Thanks!

Moved on to engine work...still waiting on my spark plug wire to finish it up. I stuck with the traditional color of the Pontiac 400 engine, with a close match on Pontiac blue.

410795406.jpg

410795407.jpg

Edited by LMDAVE