Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius '56 Chrysler 300B custom *interior mock-up*

brodie_83

Thanks guys!

Today I decided to see what I had for spare interior parts and found a set of buckets from an AMT Chrysler 300C and a complete center console from a Lindberg Dodge Charger.

Now I'm always up for getting different opinions, so if y'all wanna help me, let me know your thoughts.

Stock bench:

20150220_111722.jpg

20150220_111733.jpg

Custom buckets/console:

20150220_111819.jpg

20150220_111830.jpg

Well I messed up the valve covers so I had to remove the silver stripes and decals, add a bit more paint, and found a few more decals that work. It's not ideal, but looks acceptable to me. I also brushed a lil bit of Future on it to top coat over the decals.

20150225_172016.jpg

20150225_171906.jpg

Yeah I was thinking of getting rid of that speaker grille as well. Good call! LoL

Well today I got a few goodies from Hobby Lobby. I got some new paint brushes (a wider variety and a VERY thin detail brush), some Tamiya White Putty and a new color for my secondary color...Model Color's Bronze. I did a few tests on a spoon and I loved the color against the green! So far I have brushed it on the engine block, valve covers (the actual valve covers...not the ones I painted green) and the intake manifold. They look awesome! I think I'm going to give everything one more coat and call it good. I hope this stuff can be thinned out and shot with my airbrush...which is another thing I bought today. I couldn't find my old Harbor Freight special, so I bought another one. Haven't used it yet, but I'm eager to! I also filled in the horizontal pleats on the rear seat to make it match the front buckets a bit better...its my first time using this stuff so it might take me a few tries to get it to look good. Anyways, here's the pics for tonight:

20150228_175817.jpg

20150228_191824.jpg

20150228_191728.jpg

20150228_203033-1.jpg

Edited by brodie_83

I assembled a bit of the engine as soon as the paint dried to the touch. I also painted the exhaust manifolds with aluminum plate metalizer and buffed them out to a nice polished sheen. The more I look at the new color I chose for the accent to the green, the more I fall in love with it. It looks much better in person I assure you. Pictures do not do the color justice!

20150228_202817.jpg

20150228_202939.jpg

20150228_211256.jpg

20150228_212504.jpg

Edited by brodie_83

Looking good, nice cut-and-fit. Interior is shaping up well too. Nice choices for parts.

Just a suggestion that you may already know...it looks like you saved yourself some grief by masking the rear seat areas before applying filler...very smart. It also saves a lot of grief if you re-mask and leave tape on as you sand. Keeps the sandpaper from damaging adjacent areas. Like I said, you may have already thought of it.

Another point you may not know...the engine from the Revell Magnum kit is somewhat overscale (it's too long) for some odd reason. The one in the Revell Challenger is correct (I've measured). Not really a problem on this build, as you have a nice big engine bay, and a slightly larger engine will probably look better anyway. Just thought you might like to know.

Thanks for the suggestions! I did mask the seat off when applying the putty but took it off when I layed it out. I should have left it on there, but it's alright. I need to find something straight and solid to wrap some sandpaper around and block it out to make it all flat.

And yes, i was aware of the slightly overscaled 6.1 in the Magnums. If I could get a hold of a 6.1 from the Challenger SRT8, I would use that engine for sure and keep the Magnum engine around for a 1/24 Mopar build. I wish I could find someone who would trade a Challenger kit with me... :/

I usually use a small piece of styrene or the little red sticks from those cheese and cracker snack packages work really well also. wrap the paper around the red stick and it gives a nice long block for sanding flat.

• 2 weeks later...

No updates as of late. I havent had time. Sorry. Maybe this weekend i'll bust some more stuff out on it. I need to fill in some pin holes in the filler on the back seat.

Thanks Joe! What do you thin your Vallejo paint with? Is that who makes that bronze paint I bought? I think I used Tamiya thinner...i'll have to check.

Heya Brodie! I'll be watchin' for those updates buddy and sorry it took so long to get back to you here. I usually thin mine with Vallejo Acrylic Thinner Medium or Model Master Acrylic Paint Thinner. The Vallejo thinner has a better flow aid in it than the MM stuff it seems like to me.