Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 1/2 Camaro Z28 (AMT)

LMDAVE

Starting this kit as my second build. I plan to make it look like the Camaro shown on the right:

410752351.jpg

I'm not very pleased with the quality of this kit right off. The molds have an extensive amount of shaving and trimming needed. The lack of chrome rims is OK because I was going to paint them Aluminum anyway.

410809277.jpg

Already shaved the body pretty good and put a coat of primer on.

410809276.jpg

Hi Dave, nice subject your working with here. The Baldwin Motion version of this kit had alot of flash and clean up work as well. Don't let it discourage you though. These kits do build up nicely, just remember that you might have to do a little sanding and shaving on the dash and upper and lower edges of the front glass to get the body interior and chassis to all line up and sit correctly. Test fit everything alot for that reason and you should end up with a pretty decent build.

QUESTION: What is the best way to make the small rectangular turn signal covers (Amber and Red)? There isn't any clear plastic ones provided in this kit, and there is molding into the body. Just painting it will look silly....not sure if there is a decal of it or not. BUt if I cut out the small molding, what is a good scratch method of making them?

Edited by LMDAVE

Here is a link to my 70 1/2 Baldwin Motion Camaro in the Under Glass area. It's basically the same body with the BM options. http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=95918#entry1307641 It will show you how it looks using BMF and turn signal amber and stop light red from testors.

Thanks, that's an outstanding build, Jim! So, do you clear over the finished amber/red foil ?

Good start. But if you really want to capture the personality of the car, the wheels should be a gray color (see photo of white car in first post) with a chrome beauty ring.

Factory paint was Ditzler code DDL32961, I use Tamiya TS-42 Light Gunmetal to replicate it on my models.

Would you foil the outer rim for that chrome?

I considered the chrome darker look doing that, but just took the liberty of going with an aluminum rim.

Hated how uncircular the plastic mold of the outer lips was. I smoothed out most of them.

Just some thoughts. As mentioned the OEM wheels on this would have been a gray or as Chevrolet used to call it Argent. The color was more of a semi-gloss and the trim rings were more of a brushed aluminum finish. Just depends on how close you want to get. In later years , around the '77 Z-28's they started painting the wheels the same color as the body. Many good ideas on the running lights. I have had good luck with bare metal foil but used Tamaya clear yellow and clear red. A dab of clear afterwards might help protect the finish.

Would you foil the outer rim for that chrome?

I considered the chrome darker look doing that, but just took the liberty of going with an aluminum rim.

Hated how uncircular the plastic mold of the outer lips was. I smoothed out most of them.

Foil could work, but it was (as mentioned) not a super bright chrome. But in scale foil would look good. I'd suggest foiling them before painting, then wiping the paint off the foil, it has a raised edge that should make it relatively easy.

I machined the outers on these (from the same kit you have) but I didn't copy the Camaro style beauty ring.

DSC04670_zpsog2qkdt3.jpg

Those are very clean detailed rims you have there Scale-Master!

I darkened the inner rim up a bit with a darker Steel paint I had, but not near enough to show the rim bezel contrast and don't have it shining like yours. I also sprayed a little clear over it.

Guess I'll stick with this

410818829.jpg

Edited by LMDAVE

Haven't updated much on this because the first trail of paint was a disaster, and I destroyed the black rally stripe decals. So, I'm in the process of striping the body. SO, I'm left with a set of white decals, and I changed my mind on original color. I'm going with this:

410832798.jpg

QUESTION: When putting on the large stripe decal which over laps the removable hood and front cap. When is the best time to make the cut on the decal. After is dries with a razor knife? I tried when it was just installed and didn't have good results.