Model Cars Magazine Forum

’68 Camaro

Scale-Master

I too have a thing for blue. All my cars are blue, (except the white one with blue stripes).

Although, I have never been a big fan of Le Mans blue, I've always preferred Marina Blue over it.

I'm wondering if it isn't a tad too light after seeing the real car this paint was used on, but at the same time I think it will work in my favor on the smaller model.

The kit provides a ’67 console, (on the right); the ’68 used a different style. I slightly modified a console from the Revell ’69 Camaro (on the left) to fit the ’67. I also used the shifter boot from the ’69 and cut off the shifter. I made a Hurst T-handle and shifter when I was making the console assembly for my ’73 and cast a resin copy (far left).

DSC05169_zps3mpowjne.jpg

I used the decals from the ’69 for the gauges and hand painted the wood accent. I also made a Hurst decal for the T-handle.

DSC05171_zpsyq5qg89m.jpg

In ’68 the rear stocks were staggered, ’67 were not. This is the way the kit comes.

DSC05170_zpsjr9ydost.jpg

I changed the rear shock mounting points on the left side and filled the hole for the left shock and mounting holes for the stock exhaust.

DSC05172_zpskfdeuoby.jpg

I modified a pair a of traction bars I copied from an MPC ’76 Nova. I made the rubber snubbers from pin heads.

DSC05173_zpsokyitle8.jpg

Just keeps getting better. When I was a kid my uncle had a 68 RS/SS 396 4 speed aluminum head chambered exhaust convertible. It's a very rare car now. It was dark blue with black interior black top. White stripe across nose and down the door. I'll never forget that car. I know where it is. The guy won't sell as his son died working on it ( gassed). I keep trying but understand the situation

If you want to darken your blue up a bit, use a black base coat before applying the blue, using a black primer and adding some medium lacquer thinner and shooting through an airbrush you should get a smooth enough finish to use it like a sealer, and no need to sand before top coating with your blue.

You can actually remove some of the coarsest flakes from the paint by using some nylon screen from detailmaster, they have a couple of different size meshes, just cut a square and using a finger tip to push some down into a bottle to make a funnel of sorts, then pour the thinned paint through the strainer, and voila! Just the finest metallic, almost scale size is what will be left.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...