Model Cars Magazine Forum

Second restoration, 1968 Shelby

landman

I have two blues which may do. The Krylon is non metallic and is the one I prefer but my first attempt turned out bubbly after a while..

So I allowed the primer to cure another day and tested both colors on my trusted Trans Am. No bubbling there. Is it possible the Krylon isn't compatible with the Duplicolor primer?

Pat, I would strongly recommend switching to SuperClean/Purple Power or Easy-Off oven cleaner (I use the fume free one) in lieu of the brake fluid. 

I've found brake fluid can do a real number on the plastic itself, by leeching out the plasticizers and other materials, and several other people from reading posts on Facebook have had those problems, particularly with older plastic, and AMT's wild yellow plastic of the 1980s can do weird things. On that I speak from experience. 

Put the model in a shoe-box size ZipLoc, Gladware or similar inexpensive plastic container that seals tightly and let it soak in the cleaner for a couple of days to a week or two. Paint goes away.

Charlie Larkin

After a few hours it  developed a very fine orange peel which clear should fill in.

spacer.png

Gave the chassis its overspray. I see I forgot to touch up the tailpipes.

spacer.png

Started on the interior. Painted the dash pad, added brown to the floor and some wood details. Next are the decals.

IMG_3060.JPG.b08423449ce6f3242e0c9cee944c6d8c.JPG

Edited by landman

• 2 weeks later...

With the help of Keith Marks' excellent decals , managed to spruce up the interior a bit.

spacer.png

Body is foiled but not cleared. Forgot to add the rocker panel bright moldings and wheel well moldings. Go figure.

IMG_3061.JPG.35f1f217640ead03d4d0e68880e5e620.JPG

Bought a resin engine bay. Its firewall is devoid of detail. The kit's own firewall is very detailed. What do I keep & what do I chuck?

IMG_3057.JPG.560fd7dd8003dba0bc07786b9702d09b.JPG

Edited by landman

no worries.  It's looking great.  Ideally it should have the finned aluminum covers instead of the stamped steel cover anyway as the switch over on the 428 cj was feb 14 1969 on mustangs/ torinos  but shelby had their own finned covers on all big block cars. That's an easy change too ?

This project yells craftsman all over it.

I'm enjoying this one for sure.  I just got done with some Tamiya Brilliant Blue which is great but when out, will use Design Master ColorTool as its a lacquer based line and based on tests, is as awesome.  They have a primer and a gloss as well.  Best part is the various coupons at Michaels etc...