Model Cars Magazine Forum

UPDATED 6/12 - 1968 Hemi Dart - Body Mounted, Almost Done

Quick GMC

EPIC

Outstanding details. Great model choice, i love those Lo23 option 1968 darts. They were pretty rare in it's days. Only 80 were built. They came Heater delete, radio delete, back seat delete and power steering delete. Everything to keep the weight down. There was even a note in the glove box saying "Not for street use". lollll

Again, fantastic build.

Edited by mopar_guy1

• 4 months later...

Haven't done any modelling since the last update, but got the new setup in and everything is organized. I was having a hard time figuring out what I wanted to do with the rear suspension, I have no emotional connection to this car and I was kind of put off with the idea of scratchbuilding everything to make it work. I ordered some photo etched 4 link setups and will go that route, i think that will be much easier and still look nice. Once the sets come in I will get back on this. I am ready to mount the engine and exhaust, but I don't want to be handling it with all those details in there trying to get the 4 link in. 

Next few updates hopefully will have the wheels and drivetrain permanently installed. 

• 2 weeks later...

4 link idea was short lived. I am not knowledgeable about this stuff and I realized there wasn't enough room to install it with the way the frame is. Since I already painted and weathered the chassis, I didn't want to go backwards and hack it up 

I made my own U bolts from some detail wire and used .8mm brass nuts. The detail wire was soft, so the nuts cut threads into the u bolts and I don't have to glue them. This is a very rough mockup, there is still plenty to go. The setup is not ideal, but for the sake of not losing my mind and actually finishing this model, this is basically what I am going with. 

JOFU15p.jpg?1

xNZh9kB.jpg?1

Edited by Quick GMC

I really like the build so far.  I am wondering how much money you have spent on this model.

The only thing I have bought specifically for this model is the model Car Garage photoetch set. I always have the Scale Hardware stuff around, and the tubing, etc. With the kit included, it will probably have around $50-$60 worth of stuff, including the paint. 

• 2 weeks later...

little things, little time at the bench, but it's something. I am also taking an interest in planes, so I have started a couple of those kits. 

I painted the door panels with the new Vallejo paint I got, but it's super flat finish and was hard to detail. I decided to strip and I removed some of the molded in detail to make room for the photo etched stuff 

Notice the emblem on the left side of the panel

emblems, cranks and knobs polished and ready

assembled the keys

\

I was getting a little tired of the rear end, but if I put this in a box and start something else, I won't touch it for a year. I am trying to focus on completing projects without starting 5 in between. 

I move onto the interior. I got some Vallejo acrylics and finishes. I did the interior with black mixed with a tad of white, then coated with satin varnish. I weathered the interior a bit. it looks way more weathered in the pictures than in real life. When it's on my bench it just looks like normal wear and tear, the pictures make it look hammered. 

Anyway, got everything in the interior done except the center console and steering column/wheel. 

Stripped the panels and this time I applied the foil before painting. I saw this done before and I think it was easier to achieve good results as I can position the Q Tip more consitently to get a straight line than I can cut foil perfectly straight. 

After Painting, I weathered, then use thinner and a conical swab to remove the paint from the foiled area. Then applied the PE pieces. 

Got brave and did the dash too. I am not very experienced with foil and have only done it a few times. It didn't turn out great, but it's better than I though. I think it would have been much better if I used the same method as I did on the door panels

I used PE washers for radio knobs, it really cleaned it up, also for the glovebox lock. The gauges are acetate that come with the Model Car Garage detail set

I have never used flocking, but I am still considering it. I only glued the seats in, but they can be removed easily. I am just too lazy to go to the store to get the right glue. 

thanks guys. Got the suspension parts painted with a base coat. Will post pics after detailing. 

I used some Kosutte Ginsan powder to do the center console. Doesn't need black paint, just a smooth shiny surface. This stuff is great. It will look nice once I drop in the PE centerpiece. 

xiFec5Y.jpg?1

1AZnFNp.jpg?1

Edited by Quick GMC